4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #241
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
I know you heard bad news but all Layla wants is to be part of your family.
That is all I needed to hear, thank you. Scott was just as shocked as I was and he even felt better when I read this to him. We both know that this is all that matters. Layla is happy being with us.

I am so much better today. Nothing has changed. She's still our silly little girl, and she will be even more herself when she gets her cart. We sent off measurements last night but we're going to check again tonight to be sure. It will take 2 weeks for the cart to be custom built, and then it will be shipped here.

On the weekend she did something that she used to do every day when she was well and hasn't done since she went down. I was in another room and I heard her barking like CRAZY from her crate. I came running because I thought something was wrong. When I got there, she ate the kibble that was laying right in front of her! She ALWAYS used to bark at her kibble until we paid attention to her, and then she'd eat it. It made me feel so good that she got one of her little quirks back!

I still miss her "real" bark, because that was affected with her nerve damage. She can growl okay, but her barks are more like yelps with no force behind them anymore. She had such a deep bark before, and sounded like a much bigger dog than she is! But in personality and strength, she is a much bigger dog than her body lets you think.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #242
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm sorry that the news isn't better for Layla. She seems really happy in the videos and I'm sure that just being with you is what she needs most!! I'm sure she'll love the cart from seeing how happy she was in the one in the video!! Life will return to normal with normal being just a little bit different from before but you'll still be a happy family!!!! At least you know that you've tried everything there is to try.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #243
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Diana. We will still all be happy together. And I knew this could happen and I'm prepared for it but I just didn't want someone to TELL me this is how it's going to be. I'm not ready to accept that yet and just give up on her.

I think I've mentioned this before but I have always had a feeling, ALWAYS, that I would have a child who would have some sort of disability. I never expected it to happen to my dog. I love her just the same though, and it is giving us more quality time together, and honestly if this is what God had in mind when I felt I would have a disabled child, I would take this in a heartbeat. I am strong enough to deal with it. Unfortunately, Layla won't be with me physically forever. I will not be taking care of her for the rest of my life as I may have if it were a human child.

I am not disabled and Scott is not disabled, and we can be thankful for that because we would have a much harder time if this had to befall anyone in our little family other than Layla. Layla is just as happy as can be, and she doesn't care. She is an inspiration, and I need to remind myself of that every day. She can't consistently wag her tail, but she is always smiling in her eyes.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #244
paula1961

Lynsey I am just reading this about Layla. I am so sorry but like the others have said....Layla just seems so happy!! Everything happens for a reason. We don't always know what it is but..we are stronger people for having dealt with these situations that are given us. You are a terrific girl...a wonderful Mommy to Layla, you have done everthing possible for her! You can see the love in her eyes when she looks up at you and that is all that matters. Can't wait to see her on the move in her own cart!! She'll be zipping around all over the place.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #245
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thank you Paula! I want to get Layla a pink powdercoated cart, but Scott doesn't think we should spend that much money. I think I'll lose this battle lol. He doesn't understand that if it was pink, it wouldn't be just a wheelchair, it would be a fashion statement! Oh well, he already pushes her pink stroller, walks her in her pink harness and leash, and most of the time she's got a pink bow in her hair I think a pink wheelchair is one step too far for him! Lol!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #246
paula1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Thank you Paula! I want to get Layla a pink powdercoated cart, but Scott doesn't think we should spend that much money. I think I'll lose this battle lol. He doesn't understand that if it was pink, it wouldn't be just a wheelchair, it would be a fashion statement! Oh well, he already pushes her pink stroller, walks her in her pink harness and leash, and most of the time she's got a pink bow in her hair I think a pink wheelchair is one step too far for him! Lol!
LOL!! I agree! A pink cart would be a fashion statement And omg imagine how cute it would be!
The first time we stopped at a rest area with the furkids....we had to park in the truck parking and my hubby said "it's bad enough that I have to walk a yorkie but do you have to put all the pink on them?" Now he just picks up the pick harnesses and leashes and goes on like it's nothing. He loves them as much as I do! And I'm sure he likes the fact that the cute girls stop him to tell him how cute the kids are lol.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #247
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula1961 View Post
LOL!! I agree! A pink cart would be a fashion statement And omg imagine how cute it would be!
The first time we stopped at a rest area with the furkids....we had to park in the truck parking and my hubby said "it's bad enough that I have to walk a yorkie but do you have to put all the pink on them?" Now he just picks up the pick harnesses and leashes and goes on like it's nothing. He loves them as much as I do! And I'm sure he likes the fact that the cute girls stop him to tell him how cute the kids are lol.
It would be soooo cute! But the cart is already costing $300 BEFORE shipping and duty and all that stuff, and it would be another $200-$300 for the powdercoat I could always just buy a can of spray paint lol!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #248
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
It would be soooo cute! But the cart is already costing $300 BEFORE shipping and duty and all that stuff, and it would be another $200-$300 for the powdercoat I could always just buy a can of spray paint lol!
There you go, that's will be your fun art project If you don't want to spray paint it you can buy frabic you can keep switching desings. Just use velcro on the fabric. How neat will that be.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #249
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
There you go, that's will be your fun art project If you don't want to spray paint it you can buy frabic you can keep switching desings. Just use velcro on the fabric. How neat will that be.
Good idea!!!! I like it!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #250
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Lindsey, Layla looks so happy as others have said. You still have your sweet little girl, and the cart looks wonderful for her!!!! Can't wait to see her in one just her size.

We had some friends over last Sunday afternoon who have a handicapped dog. Their dog does not have a cart, but gets around just fine using it's front legs only. It is able to urinate on it's own, so it's spine must be affected lower down than Layla. They love their dog, too and have a little girl who is 14 months old who is learning a valuable lesson having and accepting a handicapped pet. I didn't ask the breed of their dog, just listened to them speaking so fondly of her. She is a valuable part of their family as Layla is of yours.

You and Scott are doing great with all of this!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #251
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thank you Marilyn! I can't wait to get her out walking around the neighborhood in her cart and I know she will be the most popular little girl in town! I think that we have a great opportunity to show people how happy she is and educate on this disease so anyone will know that they don't have to be put to sleep even though some vets will encourage it.

Today I was printing out a big set of plans and when I went to the printer to grab them and put them in order, I took Layla with me and set her on the ground. A coworker came to talk to me and Layla dragged herself a few feet to see him. Another coworker came down the hall and Layla greeted her too. Before I knew it, she had zoomed off down the hall and around the corner! I could barely catch her! I think she realized she was on carpet and she could actually grip it with her front paws! She's going to be a little speed demon when she gets her wheels!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #252
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey...I'm so sorry I haven't been here for you. Layla looks so wonderful in the videos....she looks happy. You and Scott are doing everything right so don't ever doubt that. Layla will adjust and be just fine. Only hold her back if she may hurt herself...otherwise...let her experiment and learn her limits with her cart. You are such a great Momma!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #253
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Ahhh Lindsey, I am sorry you had to hear that news from the vet! It is one thing to think something, and another to actually hear it out loud.

Now that you know what is to be, you and Scott will quickly get over your disappointment, and between you, him, and Layla, will figure out how to make life as wonderful as always!

You are a loving, happy caring family, and the three of you will always be that way. (When you add to the family, it will add more happiness and caring!)

I like the spray paint idea! Maybe some decals or bows for special days?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #254
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks everyone. All of your support means so much to me. No matter what the vet thinks, I am still not giving up hope. I have spoken with owners whose dogs have regained sensation almost a year later. Anything is possible.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #255
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I just got a call from Massechusetts confirming my order for Layla's cart It is going to be $345 for the cart with stirrups for her back legs, and up to $85 for shipping, plus whatever duty and other taxes might be. And it will be worth EVERY PENNY!!!! It will take 2 weeks to build and approximately 6 days to ship. Layla can still spend a couple of months running around outside before it snows I am so excited for this!

Marilyn, you are so right about children learning a valuable lesson with a paralyzed pet. I hope that when we have children, they will learn that disabilities don't hinder personality