4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #2671
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Today is our Fall Break day so I have a 3 day weekend. It's so nice to have the whole day to myself. I woke up really late for me, like around 9:00. Of course I did wake up to make sure Ricky was up for work then I went right back to bed. I love just laying in my bed and slowly waking up.

It's cold here today. Went from the 80's yesterday to only high in the 40's and with the wind blowing it really feels cold. I was going to give the dogs a bath today, but decided not to. I'll wait until Days Of Our Lives is over and then I'm planning on going to town and get a few groceries. I love having a shopping list on my phone...so convenient.

Still coughing my head off so I may change my mind and stay home altogether...lol. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the weekend. Decisions decisions...I may have to go lie down and think about it....lolol
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #2672
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

The kids had a day off from school here too so I haven't had Dean today. I slept in too and all day long I've had trouble getting anything done. I did finally make it over to see our new baby!! He's soooo CUTE!! He looks so much like Feyn did when he was born. I'm going to have to get some pictures out and prove it!! Tammy's still really sore from her incision. Kiley was getting ready to leave for her cross country run at State. Feyn's going too so Tammy will be home with Karley taking care of her. I told them that if they need me I can be right over. The baby didn't sleep well last night and Tammy needs her rest.

We have our women's group from church coming out tomorrow for Rough N Rugged!! We'll be riding 4-wheelers, shooting guns, cooking hot dogs, and having a hayrack ride!! It will be a lot of fun......but like you, Janet, we're kinda' cool. I hope that it's not too bad though. I have a jewelry party to go to in the morning so it will be a pretty busy day.

Last night we went to Jaci and Nate's for supper and to play cards. Her cooking is definitely improving!! We had a lot of fun playing cards. Jaci and Nate finally beat Glen and I......and I think that it was probably a good thing. I don't think that Nate likes to lose!!

I was going to work on getting garage sale stuff priced but I'm just not feeling like it. I'll do it next week......the pressure will be on to get it done!! Our garage sale is next weekend at Dae Lynn's house. I hope the weather is nice!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #2673
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yesterday I went to the HogEye festival at Elgin, TX. Lots of fun! Food, crafts, music and games for the kids. I went looking for a woman from whom I bought earrings a few weeks back. I really like the earrings and wanted some more, but sadly she wasn't there! Oh well, I bought some nicely scented homemade soap for stocking stuffers and a necklace/bracelet/earrings set for a friend's birthday. I had a fun time. I've attached some pics. One is just a view of a side street at the festival, the other is the Hogettes on stage. They all rode in on the Harley motorcycles you see in front of the stage. The guy in the middle with the ball cap is a Texas state senator and the man on the far right is the mayor of Elgin. They were singing a made up song, "it's OK to be a hog".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hogeye1.jpg (110.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hogeye2.jpg (72.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #2674
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Love small town festivals!! Looks like they had quite a few booths too. Even if they had a festival here...it would be just too cold to get out in plus the wind. Okay now....I'm ready for spring....LOLOLOL
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2675
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It was really chilly and windy at the festival yesterday, especially for us warm-blooded Texans, but everyone was just bundled up and since the sun was out, if you got out of the wind, it was OK. It's about 58 here right now, but there is no wind and the sun is out, so it feels good. I just weeded my garden (YES! I wore gloves) and it felt so good!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #2676
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Waiting to see what this hurricane is going to bring us, and praying that we do not get any flooding in the area! I'll be fine since I'm on top of a mountain, and don't expect my house to blow away. Our electric lines are underground, so if we do lose it, it will only be for a short time. Our staff cut down the trees that would have come down.

Gina, stay safe!!!

Who else is in the hurricane's path?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #2677
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

We went out to a Halloween dance on Friday with two couples we have become friends with here in town. It was a lot of fun! Scott went as Al Borland and I went as Heidi from Home Improvement. It was a little chilly walking home at 2 am through the snow in jean shorts, but I'm Canadian so I can deal with it lol!! But really, I used to figure skate and our little small town rinks were never heated, so the cold doesn't bother my legs too much.

Saturday we headed into the city and did some shopping. I think we picked out new flooring for the back of our house! We brought home a sample and we both think it looks good And because we had a long night on Friday, we both fell asleep on the couch in the evening and went to bed at 10.

This afternoon we headed to a craft and trade show for the skating club here in town. We bought Christmas presents for the niece and nephews on Scott's side (wooden puzzles and toys) and some homemade potato and dill perogies and some Epicure dip mixes. Then we had to go home because we were out of money lol! After we got home, a friend we haven't seen in awhile stopped by on his way home from the city... he had another 4 hours to drive. But we had a nice little chat for an hour or so. During that time, I got a call that I won a door prize at the craft show! So I went to pick up the box and I will probably not use any of it other than a nice scarf! Oh well, it's nice to win something every once in awhile!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #2678
DianaB

Lindsey, it sounds like you had a nice weekend!! Now exciting that you won something!! Maybe you can add the stuff that you don't want to other Christmas gifts.

Gayle, the festival looks like it was a lot of fun too!! I'm glad that you're getting out and enjoying yourself!!

Judy, you and Gina are both in my prayers during this storm. The weather people are predicting it to be so bad that I would feel so much better if you all just got in your cars and came to Kansas!! I'll make room for all of you and your families!!! We'll have a great time here while you wait out the storm!! Just stay safe!!

We had our women's Rough and Rugged on Saturday. We had lots of fun!! Some did target shooting with the guns.....and then Glen pulled out some explosives and blew up a little camping trailer that wasn't any good. I missed it......I was at the fire warming up!!

They also had a type of scavenger hunt where you had to find things in the junk yard and take pictures of it but then they never really found out who won that......I think that maybe it was just something to do if you weren't shooting. Then they cooked hot dogs and we ate then the women had a hayrack ride. I don't go because it's really hard on my joints and I don't enjoy having hay stuck under my clothes so I sat by the fire and enjoyed it. I ended up coming up to the house and giving Jazzi a bath because I spilled my hot cocoa on her and she was all sticky and then decided to roll in the leaves (the hot cocoa wasn't hot!).

Last night after church we went to our Pastor's house for soup and dessert. He had remodeled his kitchen and invited the board over to see it. It turned out really nice! Our pastor's wife is quite the decorator and has the house looking really nice! We had a nice visit with everyone who was there.

Today I've GOT to start working on garage sale stuff!! I'm just really having trouble getting motivated!! What I really want to do is paint Jaci's room! I got a sofa cover for the hide-a-bed that we have. It's like brand new but I don't like the color of the fabric on it. I bought it at an auction for not much and I don't think that the bed has ever been slept on because it still has the plastic on it. Anyway the cover I bought is a dark red. I'm excited to get the room all put together!!

Dean's a mess today. I've been wondering what he did over the weekend because he's been sassy and ornery!! Into everything!!! Even now I can hear him in the kitchen getting into something that he's not suppose to!! Oh well......that's life with Dean!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #2679
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It sounds like everybody has been busy and having fun! I went to a Steampunk Festival Saturday at the Communty Center. It was okay...lots of nice people. I want to be on their Board of Directors, so I have to show up at events, etc. I really like the people who are involved in the activities. There are a couple of other places that have activities, but they are too hoity toity for me. Like cocktail party people. One place charges $75 for their fund raising dinner! Not my style at all!

This place, The Pine Hill Community Center, has a very diverse membership. There is a local group of Indians who are affiliated, and I did some drumming with them, and they showed me some dances. I love this kind of thing. There are lots of people who are into various things - artists, organic food, there's a Wednesday afternoon social club (you just hang out and chit char), zumba, pottery, etc.

Today, I got some batteries, and then hung out. It's getting pretty windy and it's raining. As long as it doesn't flood down in the towns, we will all be fine.

Janet, I pay a monthly charge for the DVR, which is how I get my cable. You can buy a Tivo, which might do the same thing. I'm not sure though.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #2680
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsey, I know what you mean about running out of money at the festival. I saw your Halloween costume on FB, cute! My legs would freeze and fall off at the hip if I were walking in the cold like you! Lol!

Diana, your day sounds like so much fun! You all have the most interesting gatherings at your place. I wouldn't like hay in my shorts either. Lol! I can't stand sand in my cracks either!!

Judy I hope everything turns out OK for you in the storm. Oh I would love the Indian dancing and drumming. Gary loved Indian powwows, we attended many many throughout the years. I DO NOT like hoity toity groups either. Pretentious people just turn me off. I would really enjoy living in your area with all the things you described, if it weren't so darned cold with so much snow!

Same ole, same ole here. Worked, home, etc etc. I did spend 45 minutes on the phone with Wells Fargo mortgage. I received an escrow overage check made out to Gary and I. Oops, can't deposit it with Gary's name on it. It has darned near taken an act of congress to show that I own the house. We did not probate Gary's will because we have a trust which meant that everything goes to me, but I had to send them the whole SIXTY-THREE page document to them to show the house was mine. The warranty deed should have been sufficient, but noooooooo. NOW, I have to make a request IN WRITING requesting they send the check to ME. Oh no, I COULDN'T make that request on the phone. sigh.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #2681
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Diana, your Saturday sounded like a lot of fun!

Judy, I hope the storm doesn't affect you too much and you don't lose power.

Gayle, that must be so frustrating!!!

I didn't go to work today... I could not fall asleep last night. I had some sleepytime tea before bed, did a word search with Scott, and then did some reading... it was about 12:30 and I still wasn't tired but thought I need to try to sleep. At 1:30 I got up to take an Advil nighttime, which has a little bit of sleeping aid. I had a bit of a headache, which was probably just from not being able to sleep. By 2:30 I still hadn't slept a wink, so I turned on my lamp and started reading again. At 4:30 I closed the book and tried to go back to sleep. I think I fell asleep somewhere around 5, and my alarm went off at 6. I was exhausted, my head ached, and I just didn't feel safe driving on an hour of sleep.

This insomnia just seems to keep getting worse. It will affect me for 3 or 4 days in a row, and then I am fine for a month or so, and then it happens again. On Friday night, one of our friends we were out with says she takes sleeping pills every single night or she just won't sleep. Scott made a joke about her being dependent on them, and she said "Yeah, I don't care" and that's what I DON'T want. I worry if I go to the doctor and get prescribed something for it, I will start to NEED them to sleep.

It is 9:30 pm right now, and I don't feel tired. I just made a whole teapot full of sleepytime tea, so hopefully a few cups will knock me out tonight. Here's to hoping!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #2682
DianaB

Lindsey, make sure that you're not getting caffeine in your tea. Caffeine is one of the major things that keeps me awake. Also.....make sure that you're not exercising before you go to bed. I find that if I take a Tylenol PM....just one.....that it helps me fall asleep when I'm having trouble......which is more and more lately. I've also found that if I sleep with a bar of soap.....any kind......I sleep better. It sounds silly but it does work. I have restless legs and the soap helps but it also helps at other times too. I hope that you can find some relief.....insomnia is not fun.

Gayle, we do have a good time and Glen does an awesome hayrack ride!! It gets pretty wild.....so wild that it concerns me that someone may get hurt sometime. That's what draws the kids to want to come out here!!

We have a group coming again on Saturday. It's my son's youth group from church. We talked to their youth pastor and he's expecting around 70 kids!! That will probably be our largest group. They'll just be here for the evening.....not most of the day. I'll probably stay in the house because we'll have kids in and out all evening to use the bathroom and I like for someone to be inside. I worry about things getting stolen. I have some expensive jewelry that I would hate to lose. (I just bought a safe at a garage sale but I haven't got it put in yet so I won't have to worry about it. I do hide my jewelry but that still makes me nervous.)

I hope that everyone that's involved with Sandy is safe and sound. I know that Gina was worried about some trees in her yard. The winds are suppose to be so bad......I sure hope the trees are ok. I'd hate to hear that one fell on her house. There's also Brenda.....I'm not real sure where she's located but I hope she's alright......And Judy.......I'm not as worried about you knowing that you're on a mountain......but it would not be fun to be without electricity. How is your daughter and her family doing during the storm?

I'm not feeling the best today. I think that I've caught whatever Dean had a while back. Stuffy nose mostly and a bit of a sore throat. I've taken some meds so hopefully they'll kick in soon. I've GOT to get garage sale stuff ready. I didn't get much done yesterday because that was when all of this started and I just felt too cold to go down in the basement to work. It's a little bit cooler down there than it is up here. We have a Pastor/Board something or other this evening.......maybe I can stay home from it......we'll see.

I've got to get some Halloween candy. We don't have a lot of kids that come but the grandkids will probably show up.....or maybe I'll just bake some cookies and have hot cocoa!!

I think that Dae Lynn and I have figured out what Dean.....and Karlie's problem was yesterday.........it was a FULL MOON!!! Karlie got into so much trouble yesterday......it's almost funny what that girl does to get into trouble and Dean was just awful yesterday too. He's a lot better this morning. That's good since I'm not feeling good. Ornery little guy!!!!

After I stop laughing!!!

Last edited by DianaB; 10-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #2683
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, it took until midnight but I DID fall asleep last night and slept until 6 this morning

Diana, caffiene really affects me too. If I have any caffiene after about 7:00, I am awake all night. So in the evenings I only drink Sleepytime tea - it has no caffiene and has herbs that are supposed to make you fall asleep. It actually does work almost every time!

That is weird about the bar of soap! I haven't heard that one before!

I would be nervous too about things being stolen. It bothers me when people wander around my house, especially if I don't know them well.

I hope everyone on the East coast is staying safe!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #2684
DianaB

I thought of another thing to help you fall asleep when I was laying in bed with the song "Hi-ho....Hi-ho....it's off to work I go......." going through my head!! Does this show that I too am having trouble falling asleep? LOL Think of a beautiful serene place then with each breath count backwards from 100. I rarely make it to 75 before falling asleep.

I use the bar of soap quite a bit for my restless legs. I have NO idea how it works but it does. They say that the feet are one of the most absorbant areas of your body.......but I have no idea what they absorb from a bar of soap!!

I'm feeling slightly better, I think, than yesterday......or it could be that I started out taking meds first thing this morning!! Either way I'm headed to the basement soon to work on garage sale stuff. The ad is coming out in the paper tomorrow so we're committed!! Wish I could snap my fingers and have it done!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #2685
DianaB

I feel even worse this morning. Bummer! I haven't hardly gotten anything priced for the garage sale. I may just sit things out and tell them to make an offer. Hopefully I'll feel better by Saturday so I can be there. I've gone down to the basement every day and do a little but then give up because I just don't feel like working on it. I'm ready to just sit back and be sick.....not having to worry about a garage sale......but I'm committed to help.

I've been watching FOX news and the devistation from Sandy and what the people are dealing with. I hope that Gina's work is understanding and let her stay home. There is such a shortage of gas and such long lines to get any. Even to drive anywhere looks awful. Hugs Gina!!

After I stop laughing!!!