4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #256
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh!

Scott's parents, sister, and baby nephew were passing through today and stopped at my office. Little Tare turns 1 in two weeks and he was being helped to walk back to my desk. I pulled Layla out of her crate, she got one look at Tare, and ran (dragged) straight for him! HER TAIL WAS GOING A MILE A MINUTE! Her tail was DEFINITELY wagging in response to exciting stimulus! That means there is nerve connection! YAY! Not only that, but she was following Tare around on the floor, running all over the place, and I couldn't take my eyes off her back legs. It was like they were paddling. They weren't just dragging behind her. Her right one for sure kept trying to get underneath and then pushed her forward. Scott's mom asked if she was using her legs and I said it really looks like it, and I've never seen that before!

Scott's sister came in from outside and Layla ran over to her. She asked the same thing, if she was using her legs. She knelt down to pet Layla, and Layla STOOD UP. She may have just put her weight forward like a cantilever, because she does that a lot, but it seemed different to me. I don't know, but I do know I'm so excited I could cry!

Layla's rehab vet, who was just very grim on her outlook, is going to be very surprised when she gets back from holidays! I have Layla with me this whole week and you can bet we're going to be working on this walking thing!

I am so proud of my baby girl!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #257
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

WOW Lindsay!! That really IS EXCITING! I'm wondering if when the cart comes you can set it so that her back legs just barely touch the ground so that if she is really trying to run/walk, she can do that in the crate and it will hold her up and she can practice and get stronger without having to hold up her entire weight. She has lost all her muscle tone in those legs because they have not been working, so even if the nerves begin to work, she'll need to increase the muscle tone and strength to actually be able to walk.

I'm so happy for you and Layla!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #258
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, the cart has optional stirrups for dragging feet, but is set at the right height for walking if she can start using her legs. Lots of people use them as rehab tools because they can get the walking motion down without bearing weight!

Layla has gained back a lot of muscle mass in the past weeks, but I guess it is the "smooth" muscle, which is used in reflex. If other muscles are coming back, it will take awhile to strengthen them and a long time for her nerves to fine-tune walking again.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #259
paula1961

Oh my gosh Lynsey!!!!!!!!!!How exciting!! Layla is amazing!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #260
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I am so excited for Layla

So happy to hear the great news.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #261
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

She is the most amazing little girl!!! What a wonderful dog!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #262
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks everyone! She would be just as amazing to me even if she wasn't improving, but I am just ecstatic that she is! I was holding back tears when she was moving her legs yesterday!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #263
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

What great news!!!! Layla is such a special girl!!!! She's not going to give up until she's back to almost her old self!!!! She'll be an inspiration to everyone!!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #264
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I had sent Layla's rehab videos in an email to our small town vet, the first one who diagnosed her with a possible slipped disc before she completely went down. She just replied to me yesterday and said it is so wonderful to see her moving so well in those videos and they made her cry!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #265
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsay, how is Layla doing with her wheels!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #266
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Layla is doing WONDERFULLY with her wheels! We went for our first real walk on the weekend as a family She got so excited as soon as she heard the word "walk"! We went pretty far (with lots of rests) and she passed right out when we got home for a couple of hours

She hasn't really run in the cart yet, which I was disappointed about. That is, until this morning. I put her cart on the ground outside the car with my foot in front of the wheels, and then I grabbed all my stuff. I let her go and she ran right to the front doors of the office (I didn't put a leash on her, thinking she'd go right in). But nobody was there to open the door (I was a few steps behind!) and she had energy from that ride into town, so she turned and went flying down the sidewalk! I ran as fast as I could in my heels, and only caught her by diving and grabbing the back of her cart when she got into some grass and slowed down! When we did get inside, she cruised around the office for awhile to burn off some more energy Not sure where all the energy came from!

For the past two days at rehab, Layla's reflexes have been the best they've ever been. They are so strong, she is kicking and moving her legs with barely a touch. Her vet thinks it might be from cart use, but I am really sure it has something to do with the B12 shots she started getting with acupuncture. The shots are supposed to help regenerate nerves, and lots of people with downed dogs swear by them. I had to push the vet to give them to her though, because she didn't think it would do anything. I think it is doing something!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #267
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I just knew that she'd do well with her little cart!!! I can't wait to see a video of her going!!!! It would be sooo wonderful to have her get back most of the use of her legs, if not a full recovery!!!! I'm sure that a B12 shot probably gave her lots of energy because I know what it does for me!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #268
paula1961

Layla never ceases to amaze me Lynsey!! I'm soooo glad she is doing well with her cart!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #269
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I know I haven't post much about Layla, but I have been following her progress. I'm so thrilled for her and for you. Sounds like everything will be fine...it will just take time. What a little fighter she is and what a great Mommy you are Lindsey!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #270
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks everyone. She has changed my life, that's for sure. She is my world