4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Rizzoli and Istles is about two girls.....one a police officer and the other a medical examiner. They're pretty much detective shows but it has a bit of humor in it.

I enjoy the Toy Collector because I love to collect things!!

Abandoned is about a guy and his crew that go into abandoned buildings and get out things that they can sell or refurbish. It's interesting. One was an old church that was about to be demolished......another was an old cotton mill.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Saw Abandoned the other night and it is good. I found another that I haven't seen for quite some time and it's just starting again...Breaking Amish about kids that reach a certain age and go out on their own to find out if they want to stay with the Amish community or go out on their own. It's really interesting to see and learn how they live. A bit of a hard life at times.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
DianaB

I've seen that one on but I haven't watched it.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have been watching Breaking Amish too. There was a show years ago, I think it was called Amish in the City. It was sort of the same premise, but the Amish people lived in a big house with "regular" people as roommates, and at one point they took them back to see how the Amish lived as well. I find it really interesting! She don't have Amish here, but we have Hutterites who basically live the same way. We have bought a lot of meat and vegetables from them but don't really know much about how they live.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #20
Janet

It is really interesting learning their beliefs and how they live. I saw a little bit of this show the last time it was on, but didn't get to watch it all. I think I remember the other one you've mentioned. There are so many unless you write them all down it's hard to remember from year to year or season to season what was one.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Real TV is back this week! Hurray!

I watch NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, Criminal Minda, The Mentalist, CSI, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and the Office. I DVR those, and DVR Dr. Phil and Anderson Live during the day. I love all of the shows you all mentioned, like Pawn Stars, and all the collectors and antique pickers. They are such fun! I love Hoarders, and on HGTV there is a show "Million Dollar Rooms" that makes me so happy! The extravagance is amazing!

Then, there are my guilty pleasures, which consists of Investigation Discovery, etc. All these shows about murders, serial killers, and Who the **** Did I Marry?
Give me a good serial killer, and I'm happy! I don't know why I enjoy these shows, but I find them fascinating. The crazier, the better. Go figure that one out!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I watched Upstairs/Downstairs on PBS last night. The 1st season aired in 2010. They showed 3 episodes of season 1 last night and I think 3 episodes next Sunday night, proabaly until seasons 1 & 2 are aired. I think they must be rerunning seasons 1 and 2, getting ready for a new season 3 soon, although I'm not sure. It was good though. It is much like Downton Abbey - which is a fabulous PBS series on British aristocracy and their servants. I like Downton better, but Upstairs/Downstairs is good too.

There's a new PBS series that started last night, Call the Midwife. It was really good. It's about 4 midwives in London (I think it's London, maybe not) in the 1950's. I really liked it.

I've also been watching Land Girls on PBS, and it is good, but I've missed some episodes, I need to get caught up. I have Hulu and can usually get caught up on some things that way.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

The Midwives sounds interesting! There is a book by Chris Bohjalian that is supposed to be really great called Midwives. I wonder if the TV show is similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Bohjalian/e/B001H9VY80

I watched 666 Park Avenue last night. It is really good...evil on Park Avenue!

Linds, there is a show about the Hutterites on TV here. The girls do not seem to be so happy, I have to say.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #24
DianaB

I read somewhere that the Hutterites were not happy with how the show was turning out.

I do have to say that we watch a LOT of Mickey Mouse!!!! Not my choice!!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
Janet

M i c....k e y....M..o..u..s..e...Micky Mouse!! You know...there are times I will admit, when I'm in one of my goofy moods cleaning or somthing and will start singing the Mickey Mouse Club song. Oh the memories!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have been watching a PBS series called, Call the Midwife. It is REALLY good, no it's GREAT! Episode 2 was just spectacular. It comes on at 7:00PM central time on Sunday nights.

Upstairs Downstairs is starting season 2 or 3 (can't remember). This was a series in the 70's that was remade in 2010, so I guess this is now season 3. I saw part of season 1, but need to watch the rest of season 1 and then season 2. I'm watching season 3 now, I think it's on Monday nights, and it is really good.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Daytime TV is pretty bad. I watch The View if I have time. I DVR Dr. Phil and Anderson Live. I cannot be bothered watching the news shows. I don't believe that most of what they have to say is not biased one way or the other with the election coming up. I catch CNN but I don't really believe them anymore. Actually, I read the top articles on the NY Times app on my Ipad to see what is going on in the world.

I love to lay on the couch and watch TV at night, with the dogs all cuddled around me. Lately, I have been enjoying reading more thn TV though. I love my kindle!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
DianaB

We have DirecTV with sooo many channels but lately I've noticed that sooo many of them are selling stuff. I've looked for a way to block them but without going through each channel I don't think that it can be done. If you take them out then there's really not much to watch. I'm really getting tired of it.......plus with it being close to Halloween the shows are really scary and I don't enjoy being scared. I hate the movies that are out around this time. It's a good thing that I have some movies DVR'd or I'd be going crazy!!

Speaking of Dr. Phil.....which I don't hardly ever watch.......but I caught a program where there was a husband that was obsessed with his wife......calling her all the time.....always checking on her......and all other kinds of behavior. I guess that he was on a few weeks before and Dr. Phil sent him to counseling for 30 days. Anyway.....that man would scare me half to death if I were married to him!!! I sure hope that poor woman can get out of her marriage salely and live a happy life. I think that everyone was concerned about what this man could do. Scary!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #29
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Diana, I hate scary movies too! I used to love them. I used to love scary books too. Now I just get scared too easily lol! In the last few years that I did still enjoy them, I started having some really bad realistic nightmares and I would wake up covered in sweat and crying. So I just stopped watching scary things all together. I think it would be even worse now living in our old house lol! There are a lot of creaks and random weird things that happen here so I don't want to put ideas in my head! It's easier to just ignore

I am loving all the sitcoms that are back on tv now I think we had about 10 shows recorded this week, because we were away last weekend. We had a relaxing night last night cuddled on the couch in front of the tv lol

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
Janet

We have the dish network and have lots of channels too. I watch it more then regular TV. I mostly watch the local news out of Indianapolis and Days of Our Lives and then the ones I mentioned above on Satellite.

Okay so tell me more about this DVR stuff.....is it the same as VCR ? I have a VCR player/ recorder, a DVD player, but just what is this DVR and what exactly does it do differently?