4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That would worry me too. Maybe you can contact a dr in that field for a consultation, see if there is something everyone could be working on with her.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #17
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
The thing with Karlie is that she's not sorry for what she does or says. Dae Lynn worries about that. How do you make someone feel sorry for what they've done or said? When she apologizes it's not because she's sorry......it's because she's sorry she was caught.......which is often!!!

With her real Mom and Damon both having problems we worry about her behavior and how it will affect her future. We want her to be caring and sympathetic towards others but aren't sure how to get there.
I think she is going through a rough time right now and this is her way of getting attention like you said. She might need one on one attention. Her mom might need to find time on her hands to take her out (just the two of them). To dinner and then ice cream or something like that.

What I have notice with kids like that is that they are the most loving, caring people in the world. If some one gets bully is someone like Karlie that will stand up for them. I'm not their when Karlie bad mouths someone so I don't know if somehow she was just standing up for herself. I have a younger sister who reminds me of Karlie and even thought she can get on my nerves I know she still a lovable person.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Things seem to be better at the moment. We go through times where things are bad and then better. I'm not sure what causes it........maybe some of it's Damon's problems. She understands a lot more than we give her credit for.

We have a counselor at the grade school that a very nice christian man and I've recommended that Dae Lynn go and talk to him. He's very nice to talk to.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I think the guidance counselor is a veru good idea, Diana. I agree that Karlie is acting out because of fear. Did it get worse when Damon went away? She is probably very frightened, and very angry, and is too young to know how to express it, or even to know what she is feeling.

Saying that she wants a new mother might just be that she wishes DaeLyn coukld have somehow fixed her daddy for her. Dae Lyn is her rock right now, and so are you and Glen. If she feels that you all are there for her 100%, she may calm down.

My mom was very sick all of my life, and I was he** on wheels! My aunt was my rock, always there to hold me, and to let me talk. I had other family members who were very supportive too. I think that if my Dad knew enough to give me a lot of one on one attention, I would not have been such a rebel. People did not think that way in those times though.

Thank God Karlie has you and Dae Lyn! I am 100% supportive of Damon, and pray for his recovery, but it might hit home if he knew that his behavior is affectimg Karlie so much.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
Janet

Wish I could offer something to help out, but you've gotten a lot of great responses. I've seen Karlie as a sweet girl, not as a little stinker. Children with family problems do need to learn how to express themselves, maybe the counselor is just what she needs.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Send her to me! My house is sooo empty, I bet Karlie would fill it right up, lol!!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'll share little Miss Sassy with you, Betsi!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #23
DianaB

If I really could I'd let you have BOTH kids!!! This last weekend was just awful!!! It started with Dae Lynn telling me about two little girls that had a fight in the bathroom during lunch. Dae Lynn works lunch duty at the school and she let a little girl go to the bathroom.........well, another lady let another little girl go to the bathroom too. A little later someone walked into the lunch room and told Dae Lynn that there was a fight going on in the bathroom so Dae Lynn kept an eye on the door to see who was fighting.......yep, you guessed........Karlie was the "other" little girl and Dae Lynn really got on to her after they got home. I guess the fight was over the big stall.......so I asked Karlie who was in there first.........and the other little girl was!!! So who's the trouble maker????!!!!!!

Dae Lynn told Damon on the phone about it and he commented that that was something that he would have done as a child!!! Can attitudes or meanness like that be inherited????

Saturday was so bad that Dae Lynn and I joked about how bad it was!!! The kids were both awful.......even Dean got spanked quite a bit and learned to stand with his nose in the corner (Grandma had a hard time with that.....but he did deserve it!!). It was cute and sad at the same time......watching him with his little nose in the corner....while sucking his thumb!!!! I had planned a family day on Sunday so I had to get the house ready and cooking done or I'd have just left for the day!!!

I had planned a hiking day yesterday but with Glen's broken foot we decided to just stay at the house so he could be with us. He loves to hike. So I made homemade pizza for all of us and we just hung out here. It was a little more relaxing than Saturday but mostly because there were other things going on and I didn't notice the kids.

This morning it started again........it just makes getting up in the morning so much fun.....kidding!!! Dean had already dumped out a package of Cheetos in the living room......Dae Lynn had to leave for work but the vaccuum sweeper was out for me to use. That was my wake up call!!!! At least it's better when it's just Dean!!

We're also having issues with Karlie lying so we're trying to call her on it when we know.....which is quite often. Damon has a problem with lying as well.

It was so bad this weekend that Glen even noticed it. Last night he offered to watch the kids while I went to take a bath......he knows that's how I relax and get away!!! So sweet!!!! But it was too close to the kids' bed time that I didn't take him up on his offer. This week HAS to get better.......RIGHT?????
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Diana, I don't know how you do it - you are a SAINT! I'm afraid I just couldn't. I don't have much patience with kids and they drive me crazy sometimes. You and Glen are so wonderful to help out. I know it just has to be done, but is certainly is stressful.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #25
Janet

Holy cow Diana.....I would have locked them both up....lolol. I don't know how you do it either....you must have a lot of patience...something I lack for sure. I was worn out just reading your post. I know it's not funny, but to catch your own child fighting in the bathroom...lol....I just have to smile and maybe giggle a little. Karlie is so darn cute it's hard to believe she can act that way. Gonna have to keep on Dean for sure with his big sister as a role model. You raised some great kids Diana so I'm sure with you and Glenn and Dae Lynn's guidance...both will be fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #26
DianaB

Thank you!!! When I was younger I didn't have patience!!! My kids can vouch for that but getting old has certainly mellowed me out. Dae Lynn reminds me a lot of myself!!

This week has been better. We've all been busy....every night there's been something. Karlie's been better.......She's really trying to be better. You can tell by the way she answers....."Yes, Mother" and tries to help out. I feel so sorry for her because I do feel that she tries. We heard that her real mother didn't have much to do with her after she was born.......Do you suppose that would cause problems like we have with her?

The weekend is coming.....I sure hope that it goes better than the last one!!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #27
Janet

It probably has affected her in some ways, but who is to know for sure? When she does good, be sure to reward her so she'll want to act that way all the time.

I'm looking forward to the weekend too.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
DianaB

Karlie came home early the other day because she got kicked pretty hard in the eye and had to go to the eye doctor. The eye doctor said that she had a pretty bad scratch on her eye.......Anyway, Dae Lynn told Damon about what had happened (it was an accident) and Damon asked if Karlie got "the big stall"!!!! That's the same thing that Glen wanted to know!!!

She's been a lot better this week but you can tell that she's really trying. She got in trouble for lying last night but I don't know exactly what that was all about.

We have so many kids that come to church that have dads in jail and one brother and sister that their mom has left them or their parents are on drugs. They all have their problems so I think that all of Damon's problems are probably affecting Karlie. I feel so sorry for what kids have to deal with these days.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
Janet

I see it all the time driving the bus. So many broken homes....one day going to Mom's the next day going to Dad's. And some of the behavioral problems are unimaginable.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
DianaB

Sorry.....I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with Karlie's problems!!!