4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #3001
Shada

Janet I am so with you on this darn cold spell.
Bad winter and it is only January!!! I came home from work today to find my mailbox shattered in my yard. Those damn snow plows. And tomorrow I will make that call to complain and I am sure it will be for nothing... I am so upset. I have seen more mailboxes taken down by the county plows this year than ever before. And now mine. With the weather as it has been and will be, will be till spring before I can replace the mailbox. Which means I will have to pay for PO box and my PO Offfice closes at 4:30 and I work till 5:00. So when can I get my mail?? I am beyond PO'd.
40 mile per hour winds for tomorrow with dangerous wind chills... tired of winter!!
The snow keeps coming and my driveway needs plowed. Again.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #3002
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Today all the schools in the county were closed. Besides all of the snow, the our temp was -15 and that's without the windchill...so it's very cold. Not busy at the courthouse either so I had the day off. Since I really didn't accomplish much over the weekend I got a lot of things done today.

In the next few days the temps are suppose to get up into the 30's, that will feel like a heatwave compared to what we have had. BUT....then the forecast is for more snow Wed., Thurs., and Fri. I hope it's not much I'm so tired of it. I need spring warmth and sunshine.

Even though the weather has been so bad, we have been having snowdogs of a morning. So pretty. They look like rainbows on each side of the sun with beautiful colors. The ice crystal in the air cause this to happen.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #3003
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I've been following your posts on FB Janet, and you have had way too much cold and snow for me!!! We have had more cold weather this winter too, but nothing like you all have had.

I was supposed to be in Florida at a conference today, but I got sick Tuesday night before I was supposed to leave on Wednesday. I was so sick I could hardly get out of bed. So, I cancelled my plans to go to the conference and have just laid around and rested. I'm a little better today, at least I can get out of bed. It's just a virus, fever, chills, aches, and a little congestion. I think I'm on the mend.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #3004
Shada

Another winter warning for 4-6" of snow with blowing causing drifting... and I am one of those poor ole people who when it drifts, it drifts in my driveway causing major problems! Last one I had 3 and 4 foot drifts in front of my garage door. I haven't seen my deck steps in weeks. Snow right up to the deck. Poor dog is peeing on the deck! Well... the last few days we did get freezing rain on top of snow so there is a crunch to the top of the drifts now! Now he is fenturing out very carefully...
my boss at work today gave us direction as to what to do if she doesn't show up, I told her if you don't show up I am sure I can't either! She gave me a terrible look, did not like that. I said what am I to do? Drifts 3-4 ft and I can't get out of my garage? Am I supposed to hitchhike in??? I am 5 miles out of town. She pi**es me off.

Then that escaped convict was darn near in my back yard. There were warnings to keep your doors locked, don't pick up anybody, door to door searches.. little unnervings. The found him a few hours later 50 miles from the little town of Shipshewanna and Middlebury where he stopped for gas and his hostage was able to escape and alert the Police. I bet he thought he was in no mans land.. Amish community!!! Thankfully he ws caught and nobody was killed. Hard telling what his hostage went thru during the time she spent with him.

Time to start dinner.. going to be a chili night. Temperatures are dropping and that sounds good to me.

Hope all is well with you all.. stay warm and safe!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #3005
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Stay warm everyone!

I'm kind of sad that we haven't had bad enough weather to stay home yet this year lol! Normally we get one to two days where the highway conditions state "travel not recommended" between our town and the city, but this year it has all been okay! Every morning I roll over in bed, pick up my phone, and check highway conditions, and then get sad when I know there is no excuse not to go to work!

Oh well, just 3.5 weeks left for me and then a year off! I can't wait!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #3006
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Shada, that sounds terrible. No boss in her right mind would expect employees to come to work when she can't. Your drifts sound just awful. Do you shovel them yourself? I hope the weather lets up soon!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #3007
Janet

I hope winter lets up soon too, but this weekend we are to get another 3 inches on top of what we have. So tired of this and the bitterly cold temps. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever be spring.

I used to like...(not love..lol) winter, but boy does getting older change how I view things.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #3008
Janet

Today a friend and I are going to go get a mani/pedi. Haven't had a pedi since last fall, but thought I'd get one today. Need some color on them tootsies...lol. My nails look a mess and some have splintered some along the sides so I hope I don't have to have them cut too short.

I've really enjoyed getting my nails done, it's something I never ever thought I would do or want to pay for, but I love it and it makes me feel good.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #3009
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I like to get my nails done also, and I love pedicures. I only started getting manicures about a year ago, and I really enjoy it too.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #3010
Janet

I started getting mine done sometime late last summer or early fall. I love it...so relaxing and it's 'me' time. I'm glad you like it too!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #3011
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh I love manicures and pedicures too, and haven't had one in ages! Money is tight right now with my upcoming maternity leave and trying to finish renovations on the house, but if things are going well financially the first few months after our little one is born, I should drop hints to Scott that I deserve a spa day for my birthday Thanks for the idea, Janet!

I have been keeping so busy! My brain is kind of checked out of work already, even though I know I still have lots to get done. I have 3 weeks left, technically, but I have a lot of appointments in that time, one stat holiday (Family Day), and about 3-4 days worth of banked and holiday time I can take before I'm done.

At home, we have our laundry room about 50% complete. I need to prime and paint an old desk we got for free to put my sewing machine on. Scott built this cute little stand for our new wash basin to go beside the washer and dryer. It looks like a little old antique table that I painted white, and the basin sits on top. He is going to build what looks like an old ladder that will hang from the ceiling on chains on top of the washer and dryer, where I can hang up things on hangers to dry! I am so excited for how it is going to look!

Our new mudroom is almost complete. I am finishing up the painting today and Scott will install the shelf and rod in the new closet.

The main floor bathroom is still ripped apart. Scott has to work on the plumbing because we are putting in a bath tub/shower combo where the shower used to be. We have the bath tub and surround already, but just need to have it all installed.

I am running out of hope that our renovation will be done before baby comes! We have to wait until spring anyway to install doors and trim because we need to stain all the new wood doors we bought. We are trying to make everything in the addition match the rest of the original house as closely as possible!

Since I'm too big and clumsy now to help with most of the renovation stuff, I've been busy cooking freezer meals and working on the nursery! So far I have chili, hamburger soup, spaghetti sauce, and cabbage rolls in the freezer. Today I am making sweet and sour beef, and next weekend I will make hashbrown casserole and homemade hamburgers. We should have enough food to last us at probably 1.5 months after baby is born, and it will be good homemade food to just warm up And for the nursery, right now I am painting three big canvases. I'll post a picture of them when they are done!

Well, I have lots to do so I should probably get off the computer and get working!!!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3012
Janet

Ladies....I do believe Spring has arrived! Temps are a little cooler today, but the farmers are out, grass is green, flowers are blooming, leaves are coming out and the birds are singing.

I know I'll soon be complaining about how hot it is so right now I'm so happy to not have snow!..lol
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #3013
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL! Yes, we will all be complaining about the heat before too long, but yes, spring is here!!! I love it too.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #3014
Janet

I had been looking forward to sleeping in this morning, but did I????? NO!! So I got started right away. Started laundry and got that completed, put out most of my lawn ornaments, swept out my car, repainted a wooden chair that I sit at the side of my house, paid bills and cleaned the dog area on the back porch. Got it all done by noon so I took a nap...lolol I couldn't believe I fell asleep in the recliner and slept for 2 hours. Isn't that what old women do?...lol

I'm ready for bed now and so not ready for going back to work tomorrow. Will be glad school will be out the 30th and then all I'll have is the Recorder's office at the courthouse and it's only from 9 till 1:30.

Hope you all have a great week!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #3015
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I took a nap today too, Janet! I got a lot done this weekend too, but I was really tired by the middle of the afternoon both Sat and Sun. So I took a nap both days. I had a little trouble sleeping last night and probably will tonight too. Naps tend to mess up my sleep. But they both felt so good!!! LOL! My school is out but now I have papers to grade and some meetings to attend. I'll be really busy at school most all the summer with some projects that have deadlines in June and August. That's OK, I like to be busy!