4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

A DVR is the same as a VCR except there are no tapes. The recorded shows are just stored in the box and you just push a button to record them and then push a button to watch them. A DVR is in the dish box hooked up to the TV, but a box with a DVR usually costs a little more per month than a regular box.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

We have just a regular receiver box, but Scott had an external hard drive laying around (because he's a nerd like that) and we found out if we hook that up to the box we already had, it would act as a DVR and it was recognized as one. The only difference is if we are recording something, we can only watch that show or something else that has already been recorded on the DVR. We can't watch live tv of another show while one is recording, and I think that would be possible if we would have shelled out the money for a DVR with the box.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #33
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Y'all, I'm just raving about Call the Midwife on PBS. The episode tonight was one of the most touching TV episodes I have ever seen. The portrayal of nurses on this show are just exactly what nurses SHOULD be. I absolutely love this series!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #34
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sounds good. I wish that we got that channel.

Janet, we love our DVR!! It's like a VCR except it's so much easier to use! You can go to your channel guide and just push the record button and it will record for you. You can even go ahead several days and record stuff you might want to watch sometime. It will hold hours and hours of movies and shows. You can even set it to record a series of shows for you so you don't have to remember to program it every week. So easy!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #35
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I am gonna have to check into this DVR. Can you get them at Wal Mart? I'm gonna google and see what I come up with.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Janet, I'm not sure how it works for you guys, but I think all of our cable/satellite companies here just sell the DVR as a part of a reciever. I don't think I have seen any that you can just add on later (except in our case with an external hard drive - you can check if that will work for the box you already have!). I could be wrong though!

We have ours set to record every NEW episode of each show we watch. So when they skip a week and just put a rerun of that show in the same timeslot, it won't record it. That's pretty neat I think!

Last night we watched the movie, Catch Me If You Can. We recorded it back in May!!! It came on tv just as we were going to bed, and we had both never seen it before. So it's been sitting there for months and we finally got around to watching it!

Oh, and with ours (I'd guess this would be with most) you can even rewind live tv. If you are watching something (not recorded), and step out of the room and miss some of it, or if someone starts talking in the middle of it (that's Scott in our house ) you can just hit rewind and watch what you missed. I think ours normally goes about 10 minutes back.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Janet

A friend told me that it comes in the receiver. Since ours is an older one we'd have to get a newer one. She also told me there is a monthly charge. I don't think it's something I'd really want if I have a monthly charge.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
DianaB

Ours had a monthly charge too but they took it off for us. You just need to talk to them. I think that they had it free for new customers and we complained because we weren't NEW customers. It ended up that they sent us a new system that had the DVR. Just give them a call and check.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hey everyone, tonight is the night for Call the Midwife. It comes on the channel that shows Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and all those kid shows everyday. Someone mentioned that they didn't get the PBS channel, but it is one of the channels you can pick up with just an antennae, you don't even need cable/satellite to get it, so I would think that everyone has it. I called it PBS which stands for Public Television Station, and it would have a different "call" name on your channel lineup. It's KLUR for me.

Anyway, if you have a guide on your TV, look for it at 7:00PM central or 8:00 eastern time. It's really worth watching.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, I've seen the last 4 episodes of The Midwife. It's so good! Tonight's episode made me cry.. for you and the love you have lost. Oh my, what a show!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I think of you ever time I see that show is on TV, Gayle.

TV today is all about the storm. Very boring!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #42
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
Gayle, I've seen the last 4 episodes of The Midwife. It's so good! Tonight's episode made me cry.. for you and the love you have lost. Oh my, what a show!!
It makes me cry every week, but in a good way. The episode that just about killed me though was when Jenny was caring for the elderly man who got evicted from his house. Oh dear, that episode about did me in. Very powerful stories every week.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #43
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I think that was the first one I saw. It's so realistic!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #44
Janet

I've gone so long without a VCR or any recording device that I think I don't really need one. I watch too much TV the way it is without recording to watch more...lol. Two of the Real Housewife shows have ended their season and two more have started theirs and I really have gotten into them. Wish I hadn't, but too late now.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #45
DianaB

I found a new show called "Bid and Destroy".........it's interesting to me. It's where guys bid to take down houses and they also go in and salvage things out of it. They then take things that they've found to an appraiser to find out what they're worth. I would love to have that kind of job. I am such a scavanget!!!

I'm so glad that Halloween is over......I'm fed up with horror shows. They are just not my favorite! I like a good drama movie but not one that scares the pea-waddins out of me!!!

I think that Rizzoli and Isles is getting some new episodes soon. I really like that show!!

After I stop laughing!!!