4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #31
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

From what I've read there's a good prognosis for any dogs that regain feeling within two weeks, but every time they call and say no progress yet they seem pretty disappointed in it. And not only is she not feeling anything in her legs, she's not reacting to pinch tests down her back. I guess I just have to keep hoping and praying.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

We are all praying Lindsey. I know you are so filled with anxiety, but we will keep praying for the little sweetheart.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #33
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I don't understand how this happened. Did she fall?

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #34
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Praying that Layla makes a full recovery!!! I am so sorry that you are going through this.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #35
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Lindsey, soooo hoping and praying that she makes a full recovery!!!! Keep us posted.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #36
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I don't understand how this happened. Did she fall?
No, she didn't fall. It seems to be IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) which is a genetic disorder basically meaning she has been predisposed to this from the time she was born. The reason the vets think this is that there was NO major trauma to cause anything. It would have had to have been a big blow, like something falling on her. But there was nothing, we were home with her all day when it started.

I'm going to copy and paste my post from YT....

Last night we visited Layla and she was so awake and happy! She gave us kisses all over! Her IV was gone and her leg was pretty bruised, but she was moved out of ICU yesterday. We brought her some kibble and some treats, as well as a few toys from home and a shirt I had slept in since the night she got this way...

First of all, when she smelled the treats, she almost dragged herself right off my legs to get to them! She's still pretty shaky standing on her front legs, and doesn't realize she'll fall over when she lifts one leg. But we managed to feed her a couple of kibbles and a treat. After about the first hour, I switched her to her daddy's lap and she laid down for a bit but started crying. We helped her up and she dragged herself right back over to mommy's lap and collapsed in my arms.

As she was laying there, Scott started playing with her back feet, and she was watching him. When he squeezed, she had a very pronounced movement of pulling her leg back away from him. She continued to do that while she watched. I don't know if that's still considered 100% reflex, but the movements the day before were just very slight twitches of her leg or tail. She soon turned her head away from us and started to fall asleep, and the only reflexes we got at that point were again just twitches of her thigh and tail.

The physical therapy person talked to us and let us know she started Layla's first session of acupuncture yesterday, and that it was very easy because she could work the needles in quite hard and Layla can't feel a thing past her shoulders. She also did electroacupuncture from the area of her neck to her tail and Layla fell asleep She said she was dreaming because her breathing was different and when she woke up it went back to normal

After our two hour visit, we put her on the floor for a bit. Scott lifted up her back end a little and she started moving her front paws. I had an idea so I took the t-shirt we brought, rolled it up, and put it just in front of her back legs and lifted. Wow! As soon as that back end was off the ground, she was motoring all over the place! It made me so happy to see her just like a regular dog, except with her back feet dragging on the ground.

The doctor told us that she would be able to come home Saturday if we're ready. And we're not sure that we're ready yet. I'm scared that I will not be able to give her as much care as she is getting there. She wants to see Layla at least 3 times a week for physical therapy but as of right now she's always watched and gets physical therapy EVERY DAY. I'm scared that I won't be able to express her or I won't do it right, and what if she cries at night because she wants on the bed? Will she cry if she wants to change sleeping positions? I just want her in the best care possible and I don't have enough confidence in myself yet.

Oh and other good news is that it's not a bad sign that she's not getting better yet, but it's a good sign that she's not any worse. With a paralyzation as severe as hers, they are expecting to see improvement in the next 4 weeks if any will occur. And if it does, it will probably be near the end of 4 weeks. There's still a 50% chance.

Last night I had a very vivid dream that Layla just got up and walked around the house. When I woke up I was so excited to see my miracle baby, and it took a few minutes to realize it wasn't real. And I cried.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #37
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It sounds good Lindsey. She seems to be reacting more when Scott touches her back legs. She also sounds happy, and that is a very good sign!

I think I would prefer her to be at the vet for PT every day too. You will know what is right when the time comes.

Still praying, but I I think our girl is going to be okay.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #38
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

According to the vet, NOTHING has changed since yesterday so what we thought was hope really was nothing. She has made no progress.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #39
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Will continue to pray for Lelah Lindsey. I know you must be worn out from worry, but just take one day and one step at a time.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #40
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have not been a religious person for a long time and right now is when I need to pray for a miracle more than ever and I have been having trouble feeling any connection. On my lunch break I had to run to the bathroom, sit in a stall, and completely break down. I was sobbing. I don't know what to do.

When I came back to my desk I did a little search on how to get prayers answered. And I realized I don't believe enough. I need to ask specifically for what I need... for Layla's spine to heal itself and her brain and body to reconnect, and I have to believe it's happening before I see anything. The dog I saw Wednesday night and the dog I saw last night were so different... she's already happier and loving us and having energy. That's an improvement in itself. I just have to know that her spine IS trying to heal and it's still sooooo early. Nerves can take weeks or months to heal and regenerate. God is working on her, I have to know that.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #41
paula1961

Lynsey.......I believe in miracles! I will continue to pray for Layla's full recovery. Be strong sweetie. I know you must be mentally and physically exhausted.
I have been away but I did check in a couple of times and saw your thread. I have been praying for Layla, you and Scott.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #42
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thank you so much Paula. So many people care about her, so many people are praying, I am begging for a miracle!

I am going nuts and I can't function at all. I just need to try to stay positive because I know negative energy could hurt her recovery.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Ohhhhhhhh Lindsey I read about Layla from your posts on FB. I am soo sorry to hear what she is going through. I have her in my prayers and you and Scott also. If this is any help as to know what your feeling. Believe me I know Gucci had liver shunt surgery when she was 2 yrs. old and I cried like a baby. Please believe that she will get better.. Positive energy is essential along with prayers.. You will see she will recover.. hugs sweetie...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #44
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I am worried that Scott and I won't make it through this together.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #45
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Why not?