4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #61
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

The Christmas Story is my personal fav. Jessie used to put it on her VCR every night to fall asleep to! It is a classic!

I also love Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas. Bing Crosby singing, and the scenery and beautiful outfits are such fun, and bring back great memories. Those were the movies I watched as a little girl.

I never watch heart wrenching movies or TV shows, especially if they have children suffering. I don't know why, but I have never been able to watch suffering, even with happy endings. Jessie used to warn me if she was watching a sad movie about a kid, and I wouldn't go in the room. I couldn't even see Marley and Me, because he died at the end. It is very limiting to be such a sap!

I didn't watch the documentary, Gayle. I remember The Grapes of Wrath though, and it was a fascinating part of history.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #62
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, I can imagine that the documentary on the dust bowl days was interesting especially since you know that your family lived through it. I've never heard much of it affecting the people who lived here so I don't know if my family had to deal with the dust bowl. I'm sure that they had to deal with the depression since it affected everyone but I've never heard the stories of it......and my grandparents are all gone so there's no one to even ask about it. I guess I could ask my Mom if she ever heard any stories.....or maybe some of my aunts. They seem to remember things like that better than my Mom. Interesting!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #63
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

All my series are over for now but a great one called Downton Abbey starts Jan. 6th (I think). It is on PBS and it won several Emmys this summer. It's a really great show!

Right now I'm mainly watching football and basketball on TV. I'm such a sports nerd! LOL!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #64
DianaB

You DO like your sports, Gayle!!

I'm still enjoying the Christmas movies!! I can't remember what all I have recorded and have gotten several of them recorded twice!! It seems like there's not really been much of anything else on that sounds very good.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #65
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I watched White Christmas and part of the Radio City Christmas (on Netflix) Sunday night. I enjoyed both shows!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #66
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm still watching my usual shows so far. Haven't really seen anything 'pop out' that I'd like to watch as far as Christmas shows yet. Still not quite in a Christmas mood, we had 70 degree temp Monday so even the weather doesn't know it's Dec...lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #67
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Had anyone watched any newer Christmas shows or specials this year? Any good ones?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #68
DianaB

I've watched so many but I can't remember any of the names. The ones that are Mrs. Miracle are really good. The are based off of Debbie Macomber's books. There are several of them and they're mostly on the Hallmark channel.

I've seen so many Christmas movies that I'm ready for them to be done!! I'm ready for some good dramas!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I watched Christmas vacation last night. It is soooooo funny!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #70
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I love those Chevy Chase vacation movies!

I caught the last hour of "It's a Wonderful Life," and loved it! Such a charming movie. Jimmy Stewart was so mean to his family in the beginning, but that was acceptable in those days.

Did anyone catch the Sandy concert a couple of days ago? I can't believe I missed it!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #71
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Judy, every year I watch It's A Wonderful Life when I am at my parents' house. Every year, my dad comes in to watch the end and every year he says "You know, I have never watched tihs whole movie before, just parts of it!" Sometimes when it is at the start, I tell him to come watch so he can see it all. He always ends up finding something else to do. I think it's just so he can keep saying he's nver watched it all

I watched the National Lampoon movie on Sunday as I was wrapping gifts! Last night we watched The Santa Clause 3. I saw that A Christmas Story will be on Friday night so I hope I have time to watch that!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #72
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I went through the whole Christmas holiday without watching one Christmas themed show. I wasn't trying not to watch, it just didn't work out for me to. I did watch a show that I hadn't watched since it was on TV the very first time and that show was Roots. Such an intense show that I am so glad I watched again plus, it was the first time Ricky had seen it so it was sooo worth it. It was like 6 hours, I can't really remember...but long...and over two days.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #73
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I just started watching a new show last night (as if I need another to watch!) called Bomb Girls. It is a Canadian show so I don't think it's available on American networks. It is about girls working in ammunition plants during WWII. It follows 4 main girls, their relationships and affairs (with their significant others at war!) and the whole movement of women being involved in the war effort. I will try to keep watching! It's the start of the second season so I have missed a lot of character development but I'm sure I'll catch on!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #74
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Everyone is watching Downtown Abbey! I have to see it. I can get it on Amazon and watch on my ipad.

There is nothing good on TV right now! I guess the regular programs come back in a month or so???

I watched "Beasts of the Southern Wild," an amazing movie that was On Demand. I just loved it, and recommend it. The little girl who is the star is something to see!

Then, I watched "The Words," which was wonderful. But, I had to Google what the ending was all about. After I read a couple of opinions, I realized that I liked the ending after all. The movie is awesome, until the end, which is confusing. Google straightened it out though, so I will put this on my excellent movie list.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #75
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Gosh Judy! Watch season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey before Sunday, if you can. Season 3 premiers this sunday the 6th. It is SUCH a great show!!!

Of course I watched the Christmas special of Call The Midwife - it was stunningly great, just like the series! But I've been mostly watching football and basketball and will continue with basketball for several more weeks.