4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #91
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

We got home about 4:00 this afternoon. It's such a boring 3-hour drive straight south on I35. The traffic is always bad on a Sunday afternoon too. Anyway, we made it safe and sound.

Gary got some wood carving books and a couple of tools. He's going to be looking for a wood carving class in Austin - hope he can find one soon while he is enthused about it.

His uncle had a double rocking/reclining love seat and we just loved it. I don't sit and watch TV very much, but it would be perfect for those times that I do. And when I am not sitting in it, it would be perfect for two little Yorkie boys, who are always on this lap!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #92
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I arrived safely home around 9:20 this evening. Long 12 hour drive, but much easier coming home than going to Kansas. Had a lovely visit, but much too short. Next time will definitely fly.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #93
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

So glad you got home safely - that IS a LONG drive!!! Glad you got to visit with Diana though!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #94
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We had a good time but it sure seemed short!!

I thought for a while that we were going to be selling Janet's van so she could fly home!!! It is a LONG trip!!! I think that it was a good trip for her......she was even missing her Mom before she went home!!!

Janet, I'm glad that you're back home all safe and sound.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #95
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I woke up this morning thinking about you Janet. I'm so glad you got to go see Diana, and that you made it home fine. 12 hours is an awfully long drive by yourself!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #96
Janet

Betsi, it sure is a long drive....so the next time I'm planning on flying that way I can stay longer and not be so nervous. The drive home was always in the back of my mind and I worried about it.

Let's see...today I cleaned my house. I don't think they did anything at all. Oh excuse me...my husband did do his own laundry. The floors needed swept so I ran the sweeper and mopped the kitchen and bathrooms. Dusted, been doing laundry all day...gave 5 dogs a bath (no grooming) and then myself. Over the weekend the dogs must have been left in their crates a little too long and had gone potty in them. So....I woke Ricky up and made him clean them out. He had to wash them outside. I had asked him if they had 'gone' in their crates and he said he checked and all was clean. The two crates that had the mess were Emily and Ozzie, they even had some of it on them. So I just washed their bedding and gave them ALL a bath.

I knew it would be like this when I came home....so I wasn't disappointed.....just pissed!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #97
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Just thought I'd check in and read a few posts and see how everyone is doing.

Gayle, so glad that Gary seems to be better and that it wasn't his heart.
Lindsey, so glad that Layla is progressing so well!!!
Janet, so nice that you were able to go visit with Diana!!!
Diana, so nice that Janet was able to visit and that you had a nice time!!!
Janet, wonderful that you got home safely.

I hate to leave anyone out, but I'm still catching up on everyone.

We've been extremely busy traveling and such.

October 1 we went to Dallas for a dear friend's wedding. She's the daughter of my best friend, so we had to be there. Our daughter, Karen, was a bridesmaid, so she flew to Dallas and came home with us for the weekend and flew out of Austin, back to California. There was a wedding here in Victoria on Oct. 2 nd that we attended also. Oct 6 & 7 I had a business trip to NJ. It was a quick up and back, just spent one night, but had to drive home late from the Houston airport, made for a very long day on the 7th.

October 15 and 16, Rex and I traveled back to Dallas for a state builder's show and meeting. Rex was on the state board the past year, his term just ended. His birthday was on the 17th, so we celebrated while we were in Dallas. It was nice to get away, just the two of us with no dogies or anyone.

October 19 we flew to California for Carlton's homecoming. Carlton is Karen's husband, and he made it back safely from Afghanistan. The last two months of his deployment were very dangerous. He was in Sangin where all the heavy fighting is taking place. They were being fired upon by snipers and others, and had no food. They couldn't get provisions in by air or land due to the heavy resistance. They killed chickens and goats and lived off the land. At times they made a meal off boiled onions. He lost 40 lbs. It was quite an experience and he is very glad to be home. He arrived on the 20th and we flew home on the 22nd.

This weekend, we rested and I tried to catch up on a few things. Yesterday we had a fellowship meal after evening worship, so had to prepare food to take.

Next weekend is heavy duty cleaning to get ready for Karen and Carlton to come visit for 3 weeks or so. They should be here on November 10 or 11 and will stay through Thanksgiving. Hopefully he will get leave again for Christmas.

Melissa and Garrett are doing very well. Garrett has a new higher paying job and Melissa is working hard in nursing school.

I know this is long and if you don't read it all, I understand. It's just been a very hectic month.

We are so relieved though to have Carlton home!!!! It was quite a weight worrying about him and Karen. I thought it would be easier when they are grown, but you only have more to worry about it seems.

Love to you all!! I'll get busy reading and catching up on everyone else.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #98
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

WOW! Marilyn, you really have been very busy - but in a GOOD way!!!

I had no idea Carlton's deployment in Afghanistan was so dangerous. I just can't imagine. There are not many people who have to learn to live off the land anymore - what an experience. I'm so glad that he is home safe and sound.

It sounds like you will have a wonderful fall with Karen and Carlton home and Melissa and Garret so close. It's not often that extended families get to be together so much during the holiday season!

I'm so glad you checked in - I think about you and wonder how you and your family are doing!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #99
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad that you checked in, Marilyn!! You sure have been busy!! I'm glad to hear that all's good with Karen's husband. I'm sure that everyone's thrilled to have him back home safe and sound. Enjoy your time with your family........just don't take so long to come back on here!! Hugs to you and your family!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #100
Janet

So glad you've checked in Marilyn. We missed you and would like to see you here more often. Wonderful news that Carlton made it home safe and sound. What a horrible ordeal he had to go through. Praying it has no lasting effects.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #101
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Thank you for your kind words and it is nice to be missed. Carlton has a really good outlook on life, and he's just so very glad to be home and enjoying being here. He says he will probably be jumpy for a while when he hears a sudden loud noise, and feels he needs to duck sometimes when he's outside but I really don't think he will have any longterm really negative effects. It's just made him even more appreciative of life. Some of the guys are messed up, but Carlton left having just married Karen in December. He had chased her for a while and at first she was very resistant and had ditched him more than once, so when they married, it was like he'd won the grand prize. Karen realized through his persistence that she had misjudged and that he's pretty special, too. There are some differences to work through, but they are obviously very very happy. He had lots of supportive family and a new special life to come home to. Many of the guys didn't have good relationships with family so for them it was different.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #102
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Today someone made me some pancakes (unexpected) and I went early to vote
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #103
Janet

This morning I ran my route....came home...tripped over an x-pen and then went to vote. Didn't really do much else so far today except run the afternoon route. Just didn't have a whole lot of ambition today...maybe tomorrow...maybe not...LOL.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #104
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Today Gary and I ate breakfast at our favorite Mexican restaurant - migas, beans and potatoes. MMMMM! Then I went to school. I had office hours this afternoon and I had a parade of my students in and out of my office all afternoon. They have a paper due in a couple of weeks, and that always brings them out of the woodwork.

Then I had class from 4-7 and it was a fun class. I love my students and have a really good time with them.

Gary went to the acreage house inspection this afternoon and everything is in excellent shape. There are a few termites in a tiny area of the steps of the wood shop out back. It is not unexpected as it is way in the back of the property next to an undeveloped wild area. It will only cost a little to eradicate them and we can ask the sellers to do that. There are none in the main house and it is very far away from the shop. We had termites in a shed in our back yard here at the house we live in now, and was is VERY close to our main house - but no termites in the our main house either. We only found them when we had the shed taken down. No telling how long they had been there.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #105
Janet

So far today I have gotten all my phone calls made that needed to be made. Made an appt. for Ozzie and Gidget to get neutered/spayed for the 12th, checked with Anthem to see if Ricky was still covered, found out for sure when my hair appt. is and checked on a friend. Waiting on the bedding shop to open so I can call and see if they sell bed rails for a twin bed. Way past time on getting Rick moved to another room so it's time. The snoring is still horrible and I'm done with it.

Trying to get some laundry done and then plan to clean some drawers out. I do have some chicken breasts layed out to thaw so I can fix the chicken casserole this evening for supper. I can hardly wait because it was so good!! Hopefully I won't screw it up...lol