4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #121
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
...I have one other thing to say...........GO, K-State!!!!! LOL
Well they whupped Texas' butt pretty good! LOL!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #122
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I didn't even know they were playing because we don't watch any sports but I just had ro kid you because they are a Kansas team!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #123
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I went over to Jessie's on Saturday. The kids are sick, etc., etc., so I canceled my plans and went over there. I didn't stay more than 3 hours. I just could not stand to be around them! He is so anxious and negative over not finding work, and she has fallen into that hole too.

Yesterday, I told her I would call her when I got home and see if she needed me. I found out then that they had no heat! They have no money, and are waiting for HEAP to kick in. I told her to take my charge card and get oil asap! They have food stamps (she just told me about that too), and are applying for Child Health.

I just don't know what they are going to do. There seems to be no work up here. He applies all over the place, and doesn't get hired. He was telling me that on Monster.com there's a new scam. You apply, send in your resume, and get offers for business opportunities for $10,000! Aren't people cruel?

I am very worried about them. Of course, he could get a job tomorrow, but today he doesn't have one. I don't have enough money to help them with more than a few thousand dollars. That doesn't go far with a family of five!

I feel so bad for Jessie too. I know she doesn't feel well, and he is truly driving her crazy. He doesn't handle life well, so stress sends him into such a negative zone. Of course, he takes it out on her. They had a big talk about it last weekend. I hope he listens to what she has to say. I think he needs anti-anxiety meds. Not that I don't understand his anxiety, but it's not doing anyone any good. He has high blood pressure too.

OMG! I feel so helpless. I just don't know what to do for them! I know I have to be supportive and understanding, and go over there more. I just hate the negativity there. I am also scared for them. I just don't know how this will all end up.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #124
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle.....I didn't get to see the tile...the links wouldn't come up for me for some reason.

Judy....I'm sorry things are so rough for them right now. Is there any thing they really don't need and could sell? Maybe have a 'winter' garage sale? Also...do they have to stay where they are, I mean, can he hunt for a job somewhere else? I wish I had some really good advice. So many people are out of work and suffering. Can he get himself bonded and hire himself out as a handyman? He'd have a bit of advertising expense, but it shouldn't be too bad. Didn't he put your flooring down? Can he try at a flooring store...or maybe a hardware store like Lowe's or Menard's?

Haven't done a whole lot except for dusting and running the sweeper. Did the doggie laundry today too. Now I'm just goofing off.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #125
DIANE W

Judy... I am so sorry things are so tough for your daughter and her family, I dont have any advice to give, but i just wanted you to know i am thinking of you all, and praying things soon pick up for them. It is so awful, the worry and stress must be terrible for them.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #126
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Gayle.....I didn't get to see the tile...the links wouldn't come up for me for some reason.

Judy....I'm sorry things are so rough for them right now. Is there any thing they really don't need and could sell? Maybe have a 'winter' garage sale? Also...do they have to stay where they are, I mean, can he hunt for a job somewhere else? I wish I had some really good advice. So many people are out of work and suffering. Can he get himself bonded and hire himself out as a handyman? He'd have a bit of advertising expense, but it shouldn't be too bad. Didn't he put your flooring down? Can he try at a flooring store...or maybe a hardware store like Lowe's or Menard's?

Haven't done a whole lot except for dusting and running the sweeper. Did the doggie laundry today too. Now I'm just goofing off.
Thanks for the ideas, but they have several things up for sale, he is looking downstate, although Jessie isn't going to move. The kids are happy and in a great school. He may have to work down there and come up weekends. As far as advertising, he has done that several times, and has applied to just about everywhere except McDonald's. I think it's prayer time!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #127
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Judy, I'm so sorry your daughter and her family are in such a difficult situation. I just can't imagine how it must be. It must be such a helpless feeling. I would be so scared. They must keep thinking that surely something will come along. I understand Jessie not wanting to move, but if Steve finds a job somewhere else, won't it take too much of his paycheck to live in another location? I seriously don't think I could handle it. She must be very strong.

The daughter and son-in-law of a friend of mine had to close their wood working business in Missouri due to lack of business. Both had to go to work at Walmart and they barely make ends meet. Their children are grown and gone, so it's just the two of them. They are having such a hard time. It just gives me shivers to think about the hardships.

I dont' have any answers, I just feel so sorry for everyone in this situation.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #128
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I keep hoping for the best. It would be awful if they had to move, not only for them, bit for me. I moved up here to be near them.

You just never know what life is going to give you. Now, they all have the flu, but Mackenzie is going to sing tomorrow at Cafe Night at her school. One day at a time!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #129
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Today was a busy day. I had office hours this afternoon. That means that all of my students (or anyone else) can walk in to see me any time during my office hours (1:00-4:00). My students have a paper due next week, so I had a parade of them in and out of my office all afternoon. Then I had class with them 4-7. This is the last class that I have to "teach" for the semester! WHEW! Next week, they have an out of class assignment. I was supposed to be out of town next week for a conference in New Orleans, so I had told them we wouldn't meet for class. Gary was going with me, but when he got sick last month, we decided it would be best if he didn't go. So, I cancelled part of my trip and will only be going for 2 days the 21st and 22nd. The following two classes are student presentations and then the semester is over for me November 30th. Seems early! I will have a boat load (30) papers to read though starting next week! But I will have plenty of time to read them.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #130
Janet

Yesterday I had a pretty productive day. The fenced area where I let the dogs out was filled with leaves so I got the blower and rake out and got busy. I honestly don't think there is one leaf left out there...lolol. Ricky then took the blower to the roof and blew out all the gutters. It was such a beautiful day to be outside.

More beautiful 70+ degree weather today so I hooked the power washer up and washed the bus and the van. Then came in...took my shower and had a nice lunch of cheetos...lol. Oh well, guess I need to get to the grocery store soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #131
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Then came in...took my shower and had a nice lunch of cheetos...lol. Oh well, guess I need to get to the grocery store soon.
JANET! I LOVE CHEETOS!!! I eat them till my fingers are thick with orange cheese!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #132
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Today was Emma's birthday, she is 4 now. She ordered spaghetti, cheese bread and cake for her birthday supper. The family didn't take her presents to her birthday party at the ranch last Sat. so she got to open her presents from us tonight. We had a fun evening!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #133
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Happy birthday to Emma!

Yesterday in our weekly meeting at work I was told again I should start thinking about taking some time off because I have hardly any work to do I know I have work COMING but I just don't know when! So in the meantime I tried to get in touch with the people who will be giving me work, asking if I can get it asap or if they know WHEN I might get it.... but didn't get much response. I know the admin assistants are swamped and have been getting work sent to them from another office as well, so I offered to help out where I could and have spent the last two days typing lab results and phone lists At least I'm doing something and showing I can be flexible. They need help, I'll help, even if the work is pretty monotonous. Scott said "I'm not sure they want to pay you as a secretary as much as they pay you as a technologist" lol

What else bothers me is that nobody has work to do, but they've only told ME to stay home and use my banked time. All the contracted designers from Arizona? "Oh maybe you can go meet with clients and do some marketing!" I know they are engineers and I am a mere technologist, but I guarantee I know more about design in this part of the world, and I know inside out what our company does and can do because I've worked in every area. But I suppose I just need to take the time to prove myself capable! And in the meantime I will do whatever kind of work they throw my way because I really want to save my banked time for Europe!

Other than that, I'm starting to relax a lot because our house is pretty much DONE! We finished painting the last "living area" two nights ago.... the back hallway and laundry room. Scott rearranged the washer and dryer and hooked them back up last night. Tomorrow we will install our new light fixtures. The only things left unfinished are the two bathrooms and the master bedroom, which we will tackle another month. It feels so good to have so much accomplished!

We were going to go play cards with my grandma tonight, but when we called her this morning she told us she's leaving today on her bus trip to Tennessee with her sister! Lol my grandma is just always on the go! But it's good for her and I'm glad she's still traveling and doing what she wants, especially after what she's gone through lately. Good for her!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #134
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Judy, I'm so sorry to hear that things are tight for Jessie's family. I know that as a parent we never quit worrying about our kids and the economy has added even more worry for them. I hope that a job becomes available soon.

Gayle, it's hard to believe that you're at semester already!! With all that you do...I forget that you're a teacher as well......with students and everything!!!

Tell little Emma Happy Birthday from me!! How special.....she got two birthday celebrations!!!

Lindsey, Wow.....you've been working hard on the house if you have so much done!!! You're gong to have to take pictures for us!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #135
Janet

Today...... I made chocolate fudge brownies. I hadn't had brownies in a long time and then Diana made some for my visit. So today....I made some and they are sooooo good, that I hid them.... Thing is....I hid them right on the kitchen table and they'll never know they are there.....lol...I'm so bad.