4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
2tiredmom

Prayers for my Dad

My dad is 82 yrs old. Back in September we had to put him in a nursing home because he lived alone and fell. Ended up fracturing his pelvis. So he went in for rehab. We ended up getting him out on Thanksgiving because he was doing so well.
He is a small man but can be very strong when he wants to be. We lost my oldest brother almost 8 years ago he was 45 and still lived at home with my parents.
Then 6 years ago we lost my mom. SO dad has lived alone for almost 6 years.
My youngest and only other living sibling took him home to live with him and his family. I could not have him living up here with us because I have to work and he was in need of full time supervision. So my SIL!!!! My brothers 3rd wife, does not work. But she is one of those people that KNOWS IT ALL! Any way my dad can get violent. SO they have a health nurse that comes in 2 times a week to check up on him. TOday my SIL was watching her3 yr old grandson and my dad cornered him and was being a bully. The nurse thinks it may be his meds. But he was talking out of his head and was talking about how they better watch out for when my deceased brother gets home he was going to throw a fit. They are coming tomorrow to re-evaluate him. He may end up going to a Mental facility. SO if you would please say a prayer for the doctors to figure out whats going on and can help him. Thanks so much.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
So sorry to hear this Linda. Hopefully it's just the meds and a change in them will make the violent tendencies go away. He may not have to go to a mental facility, maybe just a nursing home where his meds
can be monitored. I will keep you and your dad in my prayers.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
2tiredmom

Talked to my brother last night. Dad is suffering form dementica (sp). A hospice nurse came out last night. SO he will need to be evaluated by a doctor and will
have to go from there. She told my brother to make sure someone is with him at all times. He could very easily walk out of the house and no one would know when he left.. so they have to put a bell on all the doors. Thats the scoop for now. Thanks
Janet.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Janet

I wish there was someway I could help or at least give you a hug. It so hard when our parents are failing. Keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

It's just so hard! I dealt with a lot of that with my father-in-law. He finally had to go to a nursing home with a wing that locked down, because he was an escape artist,lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's too bad, Linda. I just hate to hear of our parents having problems. I hope that a change in his meds will take care of it. It's surprising the effects some meds can have. I'll be praying.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm so sorry. I know it must be really hard to hear that. All you can do is be supportive. Big cyber hugs going your way.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
2tiredmom

Thanks girls, I talked to my brother again this evening. The hospise nurse told him totake him to the emergency room since his dr is on vacation. I have not heard from him yet. He was mean again today. It's like something all of a sudden snapped. Will let you know when i hear more. Thanks so much for all your thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Janet

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Linda.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Hugs, Linda.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I am so sorry, Linda. He is in my prayers.

My friend's 97 year old Mom just went into a nursing home for dementia. Yesterday was the first time she was violent. That's a symptom of dementia, and they are talking about medication. My friend doesn't want her Mom too sedated though. She is mobile, and, when she remembers, has a group of "the girls" she sits with. She does have a safety bracelet on so that she cannot escape though. It sets off an alarm.

The most difficult part is when the person realizes that their thinking and memory are gone. Hopefully, your Dad does not have those moments. Just love him the way he is, and do not expect him to be lucid for long.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
2tiredmom

Thank you all.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so sorry Linda. Somehow I missed this thread. It is so hard. Dementia is so cruel. There are some meds that really help with violent behavior. I hope they find something that helps your dad.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Janet

My husband's aunt Janet has dementia (in her 80') also and her husband (my husbands favorite uncle) just passed away on Friday. They had to tell her again Saturday and this morning he was gone. How horrible a thing to go through. Sending positive thoughts and prayers to your Dad and you Linda.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
2tiredmom

Update

2012 is not looking so great...my brother called last night. i was in bed of course.My dad fell going to the bathroom. He ended up breaking his hip. so at 1:00 AM my brother calls me back and tells me that they are taking him to Indy. It's going to be a long week. Will be going that way maybe today. Thank you girls for being here for me.