4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Weather......

We've been warned for a few days about todays weather. It's suppose to be really, really bad. My SIL, Jason, helps out with community protection and spotting when there's possible tornadoes. Yesterday he sat in on a phone conversation with the National Weather Service about what might happen.

We are on the east edge of the severe weather but we'll be keeping an eye on the weather......maybe even sleeping in the basement........we'll see. I pray that things aren't as bad as they are saying. I worry about people and communities that can possibly be changed forever.

If you watch the weather for Kansas......we are in the southeast corner. Count to the left three counties.....then up two counties. I live just a mile from where the county to the left's north line hits our county......Wilson County.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My sister-in-law lives in Norman OK and they had a tornado yesterday. It uprooted some HUGE trees very close to their house and their daughter's home. Thankfully, both their homes are OK. But there are supposed to be more and stronger storms there again today - just like you Diana.

For anyone with an iPhone (or iPad and maybe iPod), you can get an application called iMap Weather Radio. It uses the GPS in your phone, iPad or whatever, to send you warnings when severe weather is where you are located. So, I could be in Kansas and if there is a tornado warning where I'm visiting, it is going to tell me. You get a text on your phone and a spontaneous voice warning.

The app was developed after the Joplin tornado to try to find a way to warn more people about impending severe weather. It distinguishes between watches and warnings. I keep my phone on the nightstand by my bed and the first time it went off in the middle of the night, it nearly scared me to death. Its a man's voice that reads the warning and so I was awakened from a dead sleep to hear a man talking in my bedroom. LOL! I feel much more comfortable with it on my phone though. My sister-in-law in OK and her husband both downloaded the app today after I had the sense to tell them about it. I don't know why I didn't tell them last month with I downloaded it.

It has all kinds of warnings, fog, snow, lake effect snow, wind, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes. You just check the ones you want to receive.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
DianaB

That's interesting, Gayle. I haven't heard of that. I'll have to remember that for when and if I ever get an iphone!!

So far it's just been windy but it's expected to hit us after 1 am. It looks like western Kansas has been hit with some pretty bad storms.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Just checked my weather bug Diana and
there is some bad weather heading toward you. Go to your basement to sleep and stay safe.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana,

How are you all? The news is terrible showing the strength of the tornados! I am praying for you all!

Stay safe. I am keeping you in my heart.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I just learned a few hours ago, that the town my (step)sister lives in, Woodward OK, had a bad tornado this morning about 12:30 AM. I've not been able to talk to my sister, but am not surprised as her husband is the City Manager for Woodward, so I'm sure they are up to their eyeballs in work. Apparently there were 5 people killed and many injured. Someone from my hometown said she saw my sister's husband on the news and he said their home was hit, but they were OK. Another awful thing, apparently they had a storm before the tornado that knocked out power and when they tried to blow the sirens for the tornado, they didn't work. I'm sure there is supposed to be a backup system, so I don't know why/how that failed. I think that could be very very bad for the city of Woodward, especially since there were deaths. I'll have to wait and see if that is really true.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How awful, Gayle! Unbelievable that the power failed too.

Diana...where are you? I am very worried.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
DianaB

Sorry....I'm here. We had church this morning and then Dae Lynn's been on the computer. Things were pretty calm here. The storm that Janet saw was actually west of us by a couple of counties. We could see the flashes from the lightening but that was all. We had a storm come through about 5 am and I got up and checked the weather on-line but it was just a storm......nothing worse.

They are expecting storms to the east of us this evening. I hope that it's not as bad as they are expecting again. I know that some people don't like warnings like this one......I appreciate knowing that I need to keep an eye on the weather. We live in the country where there are not sirens to depend on.

Gayle, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-sister's community......I had read about it before I got on WT. It said that lightening had hit the siren which would make it inoperable even with a battery back-up. Thank goodness your step-sister and her husband.......and hopefully family......are all alright.

I feel so special that all of you were concerned about me!! Hugs!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You are special!! I'm so surprised you didn't mention I woke you up....AGAIN!!! LOLOL I wasn't going to start my day without making sure you were alright.

Gayle how horrible for your step-sister. These storms are getting worse, so many tornadoes, so much damage and loss of lives. I hope everyone affected by these storms are able to get their lives back together.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I just found out that my sister's home was NOT damaged! I'm so glad because she and her husband will have to work so hard to get the community restored. It is just a mess there. The tornado was only a quarter mile wide but stayed on the ground for 2 miles right through the west to the center edge of town. The pictures are just horrible, just like all tornado pics. My sister and brother-in-law have a long road ahead getting this all straightened up. As most of you know, things like this are so hard in small towns where everyone knows everyone or is related.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
DianaB

I'm so glad to hear that your step-sister's house is alright. They will be able to totally focus on the community then. What a job they have ahead of them.

I saw where a father and two small daughters died in their community. How sad. Another child.....a son....is in critical condition. I wonder if the mother is around. I couldn't imagine her pain and what she's going through.

After I stop laughing!!!