4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
What Would You Change???

What would any of you change about your home? Furniture, windows..etc.?

For me, it would be to change the flooring throughout the house (if I stay )

Where the dogs have missed the pad in the hallway, I've scrubbed and scrubbed and shampooed over and over and the stain still comes back through. I keep the dogs in the kitchen now so not to worry about other spots, but flooring would be what I would change. I would also like a new paint job. This old girl just isn't gonna tackle that one again.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

When we built our house I wish that we would have built a deck or patio at the time instead of waiting. It's been 13 years and I'm still waiting for that to get done.

In my living room I had a peaked ceiling put in and I wish that I would have just had 8' ceilings throughout instead.

In my pantry I have shelves but on one side I wanted a counter top with shelves above it so I could put things like my toaster and things like that that you don't want sitting out on your counters all the time. The contractor didn't do it right and I didn't have the heart to make him change it. It's ok....it's just not what I had in mind.

Also....I got talked into having the popcorn ceiling and I hate it. I didn't want it then and I don't want it now!!!

There's some light switches and plug ins that I wish were different but mostly I'm pretty happy with things.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Janet

I would also have changed where the garage is behind the house. I would have had it where the driveway is and connected to the house. I would also like to move the house back a few yards too. We were really too young to build a house I think. Would have been so much better to have waited a few more years and have more experience in keeping a home. That way I would have known more about what I would want in a house.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

1. I'd definitely get rid of the carpet on the first floor!!!!! I was supposed to get a new floor in the master bedroom a while back, but sadly it never happened.

2. Our lot was too small to build all one story and get all the rooms that we wanted, but I'd have a one story. It was nice having the girls upstairs when they were in high school. The separation was nice, but now with Emma and Karen having to carry her up and down our very tall stairs it's not good. I just want everything on the same level.

3. Rex is having trouble sleeping without background noise like the TV on all the time. I need quiet, and he claims that I snore. Of course he doesn't. He's up and down all night, too. So though I really hate the idea, I guess we need to master bedrooms. If we build again, which we are planning, I will be in the master and he will have another smaller bedroom connected somehow to the master bath so we are together but in separate bedrooms.

That's about it. Overall, I do love our current house, it's my favorite of anywhere we've lived, but for functionality as we move forward in life, the above changes will work much better.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
2tiredmom

We have lived here for 10 years. The only thing I would change is the carpets and put jets in the masterbath garden tub.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Janet

There are really alot more things I would change if I could but they really aren't needed, just wanted.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
DianaB

Marilyn, one of my Aunts and Uncles stayed in two separate bedrooms. My Uncle moved all night long and she hated it. When they built their last house they had a connecting bathroom. It was very nice.

When we built our house we tried to think of things to help us stay here even when we're a lot older. We have some doorways that are wider for wheelchairs. My kitchen cabinets have shelves that pull out so you don't have to bend down and search for things on your hands and knees. Even though we have a basement you don't have to go down there. We put everythng on one level......and if you do need to go down you can drive if you can't walk down the stairs. Actually the stairs don't go down straight....they turn back on themselves.......so an elevator could always be added if we had the money and needed it. We have a walk in shower with a seat in it. I'm sure that as we get older we'll find things that we missed but at least we were trying to think ahead. We won't be building again......this is it.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Marilyn

Our main floor is pretty user friendly with wide doors and lower cabinets, big open master shower, but that is just how Rex builds. We thought as we got older that we wouldn't need to go up on the second floor much, but since we are on a city lot with no real attachment and we can move, why not build what we want. Plus we hope to be able to make some money off the deal, have a more energy efficient home. Use construction techniques and materials that will save on property taxes, and hopefully find a larger wooded lot. We'll see...
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

There are two things we wanted that we didn't get in this house... a nice main entrance, and an ensuite bathroom.

Our front door opens directly into our dining room. We have a little bench at the door but there is nowhere to hang coats so they just lay on the bench, and when we have company there are shoes everywhere, right beside the dining room table. BUT, we don't have company very often and we rarely use the front door ourselves - we always use the back door to the garage.

The ensuite bathroom isn't a big deal right now because it's just the two of us living here, but I think it would be nice in the future instead of sharing a bathroom with children too. If we ever transform our top half-story into a master suite, I would like to put in a small bathroom with a toilet, sink, and clawfoot bathtub

Since we've moved in, there are tons of things I want to change! First- the kitchen. We have FOUR SINKS AND THAT IS RIDICULOUS. I want to put in new countertops - maybe granite or quartz, and take out the little bar sink and the stainless steel sink beside the double bowl kitchen sink (really, are three full sized sinks in a row needed???) I want to replace our current kitchen sink with a white double bowl farmhouse sink.

The other thing I want to do, which is started, is build a laundry room. We sold our indoor hot tub last week so we are going to build a laundry room in its place. We will have the washer, dryer, and wash basin down one wall, and some rods for hanging clothes to dry down the other wall. There will also be storage for the ironing board, iron, and laundry supplies. I am so excited for it! Then where the laundry is currently at the garage door, Scott is going to build a bench with storage and some hooks to hang things on.

With all these changes in the back of the house, we also want to change the flooring, doors, and trim to look more like the rest of the house. It was a new addition built on in the 90's and it is so obvious. It does not seem like the same house at all. We go from beautiful old hardwood floors to cold white tile... from beautiful solid wood doors to white doors. I have heard dozens of times that if you can't match hardwood exactly, go completely opposite. We obviously can't match these 100 year old floors. The colors are already different in every room and even in parts of the same room! They are worn and discolored and stained and honestly, to me, just perfect. There is so much character. So in this case, I don't know if it would make a huge difference if we did a wood or wood-look floor and it didn't look exactly the same. The house is old!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
Marilyn

Lindsey, you have a good eye fee design. Sounds like you have some good projects ahead!!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
Janet

My bedroom is a really nice size, but I would enlarge my bathroom for sure. I would also like to enlarge the other two bedrooms and give one a larger closet. Oh the dreams I have of remodeling.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsey, you might be able to find some old reclaimed wood from an old house for the flooring. Also there is a lot of wood flooring that is new but made to look old. Your projects sound great.

Now that it is just me in the house, I won't change anything, but I would like a screened in porch on the back of the house. I have a lovely sorta wild looking backyard and I have a nice covered porch, but it would be nice for it to be screened and a little larger than the existing porch. I would make it all the way across the back of the house. The master bedroom is perfectly fine for me, but it really should be bigger. The master closet should be wider. When clothes were hanging on both sides of the closet, you had to turn sideways to get from the front to the back of the closet. Now, I only have clothes hanging on one side of the closet so that I have more room.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
DianaB

Lindsey, your projects sound so fun!! You have such room to do all of it!! I love your old house.......it's what I always wanted!!

Gayle, one of my Aunts had a large screened in porch and it was so nice. She even had a tv out there and it's where she had her breakfast in the morning. I would love to have one as well!! Maybe one day you'll fix it all up for yourself!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Janet

Oh Oh Oh I would love to have a screened in front porch. I also would love for the house to face a different direction too, Of an evening the sun is right on us. I love sitting out early morning with my coffee and of an evening with some tea, but the bugs drive me nuts....most just flies and mosquitoes.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I would have a central air/heating unit, a driveway up to the house with no steps, shade trees around the deck,l new kitchen cabinets, more light in the downstairs bathroom, somebody to go through all of the junk and papers I still haven't gone through and put away since I moved in, and I'm not sure what else. I'm still fixing up, so it's too soon to think about changing too much.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote