4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Attorneys?

I would LOVE to know how many of you are attorneys. I am in the process of applying to law school, which I am very excited about. I would love to get some perspectives from women who are attorneys but also married with children. Is it hard? Any tips or advice to keeping a happy marriage while being successful at the same time? Do you feel like you spend enough quality time with your children?
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Luv2Teach

I'm not an attorney, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in everything!!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Kimberley

Going back to school while trying to raise a family will not be the easiest thing to do but keep your goal in mind and you can do it!
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Just want to wish you the best of luck, it's not easy to run a household and study!!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Necee419

My mom went back to school when I was 16 and my brother was 8. She attended classes at night and was there for us during the day. I always felt so proud of her for getting out there and pursuing her dreams. She is now a H.S. computer teacher and is currently persuing her master's degree at 52 years of age. I think if your husband is supportive, it will still be tough but you will get through it. My stepfather is a good man but sometimes he would complain if my mom was too tired to cook and we had to eat take out. I think in the beginning he felt a bit threatened by her success. It wasn't always easy for her but she did it, and i am sure you will be just as successful. Good luck in persuing your dreams and your children should be proud that their mom is such a great role model!!
Necee419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Oh, I don't have any kids right now. I'm only 22. I just graduated undergrad a year ago. I am just wanted to get some work experience before I went back to school. I was just wondering how hard it is to raise a family and have a full-time job.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Well, I'm not an attorney, but I am an engineer & I worked full time. Went back to work when each of our girls were 2 months old. It's never easy. In our case, we hired someone to come into our home and care for our girls, clean, cook, run errands. We were very fortunate in that the person we hired was wonderful. She took the girls to the library, read to them, colored with them, took them to the doctor when they were sick. When I got home, everything was clean, the clothes were washed, supper was ready. All we had to do was eat, put the dishes in the dishwasher and have quality time.

As a professional, hopefully you will be able to afford this as well. It was really not a whole lot more expensive than daycare for two children, and I would highly recommend it.

We paid for her to take pediatric first aid and CPR classes, just in case.

When the girls both started school full time, we could no longer justify the expense of fulltime housekeeper and private school, and by this time, our caregiver had married and had a child, so she started caring for children in her home and picked our girls up from school each day for us & we picked them up at her house after work.

Hope this helps you. This is what worked for us. Don't know how we could have done two careers any other way.

Wish you much success with your studies. Keep striving to reach your goals.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
highlans

My daughter got her degree started her career got pregnant/married, I felt as her job envolved shift work she would not be able to give her job her all in such an early stage of her career. The cost of childcare was very expensive So I gave up work to look after my georgus grandaughter it has worked out well I now go to all the toddler groups swimming groups ect. My daughter is able to go to work and not worry about her and has been able to climb the career ladder. When she has a 2nd child she will then be able to give up work for a while. So any mums out there if you are able help the kids out.
highlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlans
My daughter got her degree started her career got pregnant/married, I felt as her job envolved shift work she would not be able to give her job her all in such an early stage of her career. The cost of childcare was very expensive So I gave up work to look after my georgus grandaughter it has worked out well I now go to all the toddler groups swimming groups ect. My daughter is able to go to work and not worry about her and has been able to climb the career ladder. When she has a 2nd child she will then be able to give up work for a while. So any mums out there if you are able help the kids out.
That's wonderful you were able to do that for your daughter. I don't have a career, but my mother would not have helped. She would only babsit in case of an emergency. She said she raised hers and wasn't raising ours. My son only went to daycare a short time. She missed out on so much because of her selfishness.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
Amber_lv

Good luck we are rooting for you!
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote