4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Devil child

My youngest granddaughter is the cutest thing... She's 20 months old, is always smiling, has a full head of auburn hair that waves and reaches her middle back, and huge brown eyes that just sparkle with devilishness. You just can't look at her and not break into a grin.

She is also non-stop action and destruction. She's always on the run and is into everything. She loves to clean out my kitchen cupboards, push all the buttons on the tv and satelite reciever, dvd player, etc.

When she was here on Sat, she was walking around with an aluminum cover from a small pot in her hand. She walked up behind her 7 yr old sister who was sitting on the floor, grinned broadly, raised her arm and smashed it down on top of her sisters head.

She simply wears me out. I love her dearly, and miss her as soon as we're apart, but I've never seen a child who takes more pleasure from being a little devil.

Has anyone else had a little demon child? Did they outgrow it? Please tell me they did! LOL
Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
DCollins

I have a redheaded granddaughter who will be 2 in 2 weeks. She is a whole lot like you describe. I love her to death but she is a "pistol"! Maybe yours is going through her "terrible two's early? Do they outgrow it? Well, I have 5 grands and they are from 18 months to 6 years old, and I have learned they go right from one stage into another. Some are just more trying!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Haven't had that problem Tink, but she sounds fun!!! LOLOL Hopefully it's just the terrible 'early' two's. Whatever it is, she sounds very independant, I hope that never goes away, just the trying behavior, for your sake.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
i have a grand-d that is 8yrs old and is old enough to know better but she is so mean and disrespectful that it's almost unbearable to be around her. even to try and talk on the phone with my daughter is hard because all you hear in the back ground is her 2 girls yelling , it's gotten to the point that i rarely call her anymore and there was a time we would talk several times a day. it seems the older her girls get the worse the behavoir is getting. i raised my girls to respect there elders, they never raised a hand or their voice to their grandparents or any adult, they were raised that if they misbehaved in a store or anyother place they would be spanked, well my sil was not raised that way dont think he was ever spanked and he has a very loud voice just in a speaking manner and even louder if he is yelling at the girls which is his way of correcting the girls. my daughter and sil have had a hard time coming to an arrgement on how to correct the girls but i am afraid my daughter has given up, they are haveing problems with their marriage as well and the girls know way more then they should about that. i love my grand -d's but it's almost unbearable to be around them. i'm not so sure if this has anything to do with the way i raised my girls because my oldest daughter has 2 older boys , the oldest is ADHD (13 yrs old) and my daughter has had to be very stern with him but in the long run it has really paid off she gets compliments on how well he is doing in school and how respectful he is of others. dont get me wrong boys will be boys but my grand-d can run circles around any boy. i have tried to talk to my daughter about this but our relationship has been very strained over the last couple of years due to the sil so i try not to say too much anymore. i just never dreamed she would end up this way .
lynne b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I am envious of all those with Grandkids. My husand and I dream of this day having a little one to spoil.

But....now reading some of the stories my mouth opens wide. Especially the story from Lynne B. That has got to be soooo hard on you Lynne, and I am very sorry. You have every right not wanting to be around your G-d's if they are not respectuful.

I remember when my first born was a wee little baby. My parents told me flat out that if their G-son was not going to be good or respectful that he was not going to be allowed around them, etc. (My parents were quite stern)

But...I never forgot that and from day one I made it a point to teach my son to be a good boy, respectful, and enjoyable to be around by others. My son a grown man now and I patiently wait for that special day when he tells me I am going to be a Grandma.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
But....now reading some of the stories my mouth opens wide. Especially the story from Lynne B. That has got to be soooo hard on you Lynne, and I am very sorry. You have every right not wanting to be around your G-d's if they are not respectuful.

rivermom.... it's not that i dont want to be around them, i miss them something awful. everytime they spent the night when it came time to go to bed (at a respectable time) they would cry and carry on wanting to call mom or dad to come pick them up , i live more then 30 min. away from there home and at 10-11 at night i am not going to have mom or dad come pick them up, so they just fussed themselves to sleep and boy can that get to you when your tired . mom and dad let them stay up till they drop. SIL's mom only lives about 10 min from them and she will take them home if they want no matter what time it is. like i said SIL has alot to do with this because he was raised to do whatever he wanted and his mother still lets him do it and is now raising the girls the sameway. but my daughter is just as much at fault for letting it go on. i love my grand-d's but wont let them run me around like they do their parents so they dont like to stay here anymore. i guess i am just a mean grandma.

sorry tink i didnt mean to hijack your thread , i can really feel for you though.
lynne b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

[QUOTE=lynne b] i guess i am just a mean grandma.

[QUOTE]

I don't feel setting limits is being mean at all.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Thanks all. I enjoyed reading your stories too.

My daughter and son in law are strict with the girls. I really can't blame the lack of discipline for the way my little devil child acts. She's just WAY too energetic and doesn't seem to realize yet that others have feelings too. I really hope she outgrows this stage, 'cause she's simply exhausting to be around.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Make sure they cut out the sugar and then just wear the little dickens out...LOL I've seen on different talk shows that food can play a big part in how children act. Maybe worth looking at....