4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
question...for us or them?

Ok I have to know everyone elses opinion. My husband & I discussed my make up quite some time ago (right after we got married ..maybe even while we where just dating). He said he likes me better without make up..."all natural". I stopped wearing it around 3 to 3 & 1/2 years ago unless I was going out. Now I am wondering about starting to wear it again. It does make me feel more confident. I am a stay at home mom & don't get to leave the house much so I tend to get down & depressed frequently. I think me "fixing up" for me is a great idea but haven't talked to him about it yet. What does everyone else think?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Brendon is the same way, though he doesn't discourage me from wearing make-up if I want to. I think your hubby would understand. I know how you feel, I stopped wearing make-up for a while, but I started wearing it again recently because I feel better about myself that way.

Anyway, I think you should do whatever makes you happy, and that will make your hubby happiest, whether that means that you wear make-up or not.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't wear make-up very often. I use to when I worked in an office, but being a bus driver...I just don't take the time or see the need. Now yesterday I did a little shopping and decided to put some make-up on. I did feel nice about the way I looked, but to me...it's too time consuming. Sometimes, when I just want a little color, I'll put on a little powder, mascara and maybe something light on my lips. That's good enough for me.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

You ladies are so lucky to be able to get by without makeup. I wear it every day. Same routine, get up, eat breakfast, check 4WT, shower, makeup, dry hair, dress. Over & over again. Sometimes on Saturday if it is a stricly cleaning day and I'm not going anywhere, I will delay the shower and makeup process until mid-afternoon.

Hubby expects me to wear makeup & prefers that I do. He understands if I don't on Saturday if I'm not going anywhere, but I would never think of going out in public without makeup. Only time I do is if we are having a home improvement day on Saturday & I have to run to Lowes or Home Depot to grab something, but that is the ONLY time.

Gotta go, and do my morning routine!!

BTW, to answer your origingal question, I'd probably wear a minimum to spruce myself up a bit, like Janet did, but if hubby did not like makeup, I'd keep it very light.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I say if wearing make-up makes you feel better about yourself then by all means wear it. Your husband wants you happy. If YOU aint happy, then NOBODY'S happy...bottom line.

If you sat down and explained to him that you frequently get sad and by wearing make-up makes you feel better then he probably will respect your decision. You have a right IMO to be your own identity and not allow others to tell you what to wear or what not to wear.

I think so often that when we have young children, are younger ourselves and are married, we spend most our time "living for everyone else and being who they want us to be". As time goes on and we mature we find that we have lost some of our own identity. I am by no means saying this is the situation you are living with.

You are your own person - and if you as a person desires to wear make-up then go for it.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
I say if wearing make-up makes you feel better about yourself then by all means wear it. Your husband wants you happy. If YOU aint happy, then NOBODY'S happy...bottom line.

If you sat down and explained to him that you frequently get sad and by wearing make-up makes you feel better then he probably will respect your decision. You have a right IMO to be your own identity and not allow others to tell you what to wear or what not to wear.

I think so often that when we have young children, are younger ourselves and are married, we spend most our time "living for everyone else and being who they want us to be". As time goes on and we mature we find that we have lost some of our own identity. I am by no means saying this is the situation you are living with.

You are your own person - and if you as a person desires to wear make-up then go for it.
Well said. I agree!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Thanks ladies. He is a great guy & told me I didn't "need to wear makeup... I'm beautiful without it". It was a nice change for awhile. I used to be like Marilyn & never step out to check the mail with out my "face" & hair done. I guess I've gotten bored with all natural just like we all seem to have gotten bored with our hair . I think I will put on my make up & hair while he is working then explain to him when he gets home that it isn't that I don't value his opinion but this is one of those me things. I want to feel better & putting my make up on helps me to do so.
Thanks again for all the incouragement
Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom

exactly! I agree 100%

Do whatever makes YOU happy girl.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Janet

I honestly can't believe you all talk about make-up with your husbands. I've been married 32 years and I have never discussed make-up with mine. I either wear it or I don't, but it's up to me, not him.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I honestly can't believe you all talk about make-up with your husbands. I've been married 32 years and I have never discussed make-up with mine. I either wear it or I don't, but it's up to me, not him.
Janet, I think I talk about just about everything anyone could ever talk about with my husband. LOL! You name it and we've probably had a conversation about it...and that's probably not much of an exaggeration.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Janet

It's not that we couldn't talk about it, but I've just never thought about discussing it with him. He's never brought it up either.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
AngieDoogles

Quote:
It's not that we couldn't talk about it, but I've just never thought about discussing it with him. He's never brought it up either.
I didn't mean to say that you couldn't talk about it. I was just thinking about all of the funny/weird conversations my hubby and I have had and how make-up is only one of many things we talk about that isn't really important to discuss. I think we both just say anything that happens to come to mind...

We're just crazy.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Gina

Quote:

Janet I am with you are this one, I am married 25 yrs. and with him for 4 yrs prior, this is one subject we never discussed. Its my face...lol and I happen to wear makeup and love getting dressed up. If I don't wear it I feel sick and look sick, but its my decision also. I am sorry ladies I don't believe this should be a discussion that should involve both parties. Its what you feel that you should wear or not. Just my opinion.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Janet I am with you are this one, I am married 25 yrs. and with him for 4 yrs prior, this is one subject we never discussed. Its my face...lol and I happen to wear makeup and love getting dressed up. If I don't wear it I feel sick and look sick, but its my decision also. I am sorry ladies I don't believe this should be a discussion that should involve both parties. Its what you feel that you should wear or not. Just my opinion.
I wasn't saying we discussed it as in we came to a conclusion together about whether I should or shouldn't wear make-up, but just that we've talked about make-up before. He likes it either way and he's told me that. We really just talk about everything. He wasn't being controlling at all. Just thought I should clear his name in case I caused any confusion.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
rivermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles
I wasn't saying we discussed it as in we came to a conclusion together about whether I should or shouldn't wear make-up, but just that we've talked about make-up before. He likes it either way and he's told me that. We really just talk about everything. He wasn't being controlling at all. Just thought I should clear his name in case I caused any confusion.
Ok Angie - but I will still say the same LOL...If wearing make up makes you feel good then by all means paint that face!
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote