4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 03-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Hayfever?

SNIFSNIF!! Ok... for those that suffer from hayfever like i do will know how horribly nasty it can get. Every year we look so forward to spring/summer, yet at the same time we suffer, not nice.
Ive had it for about 8 years, and it starts off with little bumps on the white parts of my eyes, and its so ithy, nose runny/blocked, sneezing, coughing, and the list goes on.

I found this article that might be useful to someone.

Causes
Different pollens are present at different times of year and thus the time that you are affected depends on the pollen to which you are allergic. Other factors which may aggravate the situation are the weather and the air quality.

Treatment
There are various treatments, some of which are available over the counter from a pharmacist. Antihistamine tablets or medicine reduce the effect on the body of one of the main chemicals released by the allergic response.

There are nasal sprays which contain steroids and other substances which reduce the local inflammatory response in the nose. There are also eye drops which have similar effects on the eye. Those people with asthmatic symptoms need treatment as for asthma.

Occasionally the doctor may consider it necessary to prescribe either tablets containing steroids, or possibly an injection. These can have more serious side effects than the other treatments, so the possible benefits have to be weighed against the possible disadvantages. There are currently thought to be arguments in favour of the tablets rather than the injection.

There are injection treatments to desensitise patients against the substance to which they are allergic. Unfortunately these can bring on serious reactions, and can only be given under close hospital supervision, and are thus hardly ever used.

Prevention
There are several things you can do to lessen symptoms by avoiding contact with the allergens, these include:

In the summer stay inside between 5pm and 7pm, when pollen counts are usually high. Keep windows and doors closed, especially at these times and when sleeping.

Use an air conditioner or filter when possible, at home, work, and in the car, to remove pollen and other allergens from the air.

Damp dust and vacuum your home regularly, to minimise the presence of pollen and dust.

Airing bedclothes in direct sunlight is also helpful.

Be aware of the pollen count (usually broadcast along with the weather), and avoid areas of high pollen concentration, eg long grass, lawn mowings, and trees if allergic to these. If you need to work in these environments consider wearing a mask and goggles.

Avoid unnecessary extra irritants such as smoke and chemical fumes.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Have you checked with your Dr.? There are so many things they can give us now to help get through the allergy season. Everything from meds to a shot. I also start taking an OTC med to head it off and it usually works really well.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Have you checked with your Dr.? There are so many things they can give us now to help get through the allergy season. Everything from meds to a shot. I also start taking an OTC med to head it off and it usually works really well.

Yes, i see him every year around this time, he gives me antihystamine pills and nose spray. Ive never had the shot tho.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I end up taking Benedryl at bedtime since if I take it during the day I can't stay awake. I've tried Claritin which does nothing for me, and ZyrtecD which helps but is expensive and not covered by most prescription insurance.

I didn't have allergies like this as a child, but developed them wtith age. My hubby on the other hand had them as a child and they've dimminished with age. I used to laugh at him sneezing 20 times in a minute... well guess who's laughing now!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I have heard from other allergy sufferers that the shots twice a year work very well. I myself don't have allergies (knock on wood) but feel so sorry for those who deal with it.

Mandy - Those beautiful tulips have a price don't they?
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
I have heard from other allergy sufferers that the shots twice a year work very well. I myself don't have allergies (knock on wood) but feel so sorry for those who deal with it.

Mandy - Those beautiful tulips have a price don't they?
HAH! They do LOL... but im willing to suffer for them LMAO!
The worse is grass and sun for me.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
beejyboo

What is the name of the shot? I havent heard of it and I have terrible allergies.