4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Lissa

I think I may have found something!

I'm sure my parents are tired of me and my career ideas, I'm so indecisive that I'm now past most of my basic courses in college and have to start my advanced next semester and I don't have a solid plan in place. It gets a bit annoying when the people around me know what they're doing and I'm still so fluid, but I think I may have found something.

Growing up I wanted to be a cardiologist, a pathologist, and then an ER physician, but when I got into school I realized that I don't have the dedication it takes to make it through medical school, and I don't like the hours that go along with the career. I'd looked into this before but didn't follow through, but my boyfriend suggested it not long ago and I started looking into it again to see if it was a legitimate idea.

I'm looking at maybe becoming a paramedic. I'm a junkie for trauma, and as a paramedic I would be the one trying to keep them alive enroute to the hospital or trauma centers.

My boyfriend's a firefighter, so I'm getting a pretty good incite into what I would expect to see on scene and the kinds of calls I would be running. Not to mention he's working toward his EMT-Intermediate cert so he could help me in the beginning....

Mum keeps emphasizing that I need a career that'll have me at home often. The medic service I want to be a part of works 48 hours a week, that's two 24s or one 24 and two 12s, that gives me 5 days a week I could be with future kids.

Tink was an EMT, and she's already given me a lot of really helpful advice.

So basically, I just wanted to talk it out and see if anyone thought I was crazy or can see problems in this plan, if you do then let me know!!!

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
I don't think it is crazy at all. I worked in a nursing home & private duty for almost 6 yrs. I love the medical field. I thought of being a paramedic but decided I couldn't handle getting to a scene where a child was dead or I knew they would not survive. I also wouldn't be able to handle going to a scene & finding a member of my family. As long as you understand the emotional aspect of what you may face, I say go for it & good luck. We need more paramedics.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Aw Lissa, glad I could help!

Since you already have the credits that you do, have you considered going for RN? An RN is able to do the same job as a paramedic, but would also have the option of working in a hospital, in public health, a nursing home, in-home care, or as an administrator should you decide the drama isn't for you. As an RN there is always work available and the pay is good, regardless of which type of work you do.

Here's hoping you enjoy whatever you choose. HUGS
Old 04-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Lissa

I've considered RN, but I don't think it's something I wanna try right now, maybe it's something I'll look into a little down the line. I am getting my degree in Political Science as planned, having a degree puts me a little up on the pay scale and it'll give me something to fall back on if I do this and want a career change later. Not to mention I could make enough money in that field to put myself through the EMS program, which'll be about $8,500.

I've also got my scuba instructor thing I could do to make money on the side as a part-time job. Paramedic pay + scuba lessons would make for a decent living.

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

That sounds like a great plan, Lissa. Just be sure that you can handle the emotional and psychological challenges of a job like that. The medical field could definitely be a very rewarding job. I think I will end up being a medical social worker some day...that is my long term goal anyway. Good luck!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I think most young people see all the possibilities and there are just so many to choose from. Find your passion....and it won't be a job.