4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Ponyup

How did you know you were PG?

Background: I've been on the pill for 8 years; well about 2 weeks ago while taking my pill I got to laughing & might have spit it out, but we couldn't find it so I figure I did take it. But now I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get it taken & i'm PG now. My period just ended a week ago & i've been feeling off. Headaches, body aches & fatigue. Also I noticed last night that my boobs were bigger than normal & very firm. I tend to be paranoid & narrotic, so I was just wondering how soon you knew you might be pregnant & what were the early signs?

My husband & I are still not sure we want children. If I am pregnant it won't be a big problem just unexpected.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I've never been pg so I'm no help, but I'm sure as soon as some of the other ladies get on, they'll have lots of information for you! Good luck!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Mandy

My first signs were fatigue, i couldnt keep myself away after 8pm. I was also very confused, and talking the biggest load of nonesense the first few weeks. Mood swings was another, and soooooo emotional.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Every time I got pregnant my body announced it to me via a yeast infection. I almost never have them otherwise, but the hormonal changes seemed to bring them on. YUCK Also, yes on the breast thing and being super tired.

If you just had a regular period a week ago, it's very unlikely you're pregnant. While some do have a period when pregnant, it's highly unusual. I'd guess you're "safe" this time. lol
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Every time I got pregnant my body announced it to me via a yeast infection. I almost never have them otherwise, but the hormonal changes seemed to bring them on. YUCK Also, yes on the breast thing and being super tired.

If you just had a regular period a week ago, it's very unlikely you're pregnant. While some do have a period when pregnant, it's highly unusual. I'd guess you're "safe" this time. lol
That's what i thought too, but I keep reading where if you are on the pill your period isn't a real period, so I was wondering if it was possible to still have fake pill created periods & be pregnant.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Taurus Babe

Your boobs DEF. get bigger, and sore, sore, sore. But, it's different for everyone.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Lissa

I've never been pregnant and don't plan to be for many more years, but this may help.

Some early symptoms of pregnancy are:

Tender, swollen breasts - Your breasts may provide one of the first symptoms of pregnancy. As early as two weeks after conception, hormonal changes may make your breasts tender, tingly or sore. Or your breasts may feel fuller and heavier.

Fatigue - Fatigue also ranks high among early symptoms of pregnancy. During early pregnancy, levels of the hormone progesterone soar. In high enough doses, progesterone can put you to sleep. At the same time, lower blood sugar levels, lower blood pressure and increased blood production may team up to sap your energy.

Headaches - Early in pregnancy, increased blood circulation caused by hormonal changes may trigger frequent, mild headaches.

However these symptoms aren't unique to pregnancy so the only sure fire way to know if you are pregnant is a pregnancy test.

Most doctors recommend that you wait until the first day of your missed period before taking a urine pregnancy test. This is usually about two weeks after conception. However, some tests are more sensitive than others and can be taken earlier.

A blood test can detect a pregnancy earlier than a urine test at about 7-12 days from possible conception (but if a negative result is received, a test should be repeated if a period is missed.) However it is more expensive than a urine test (price depends on cost of doctor's visit and lab fees).

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Lissa

Oh, and I forgot to mention, since you have had a period since you potentially skipped a pill, it also decreases the likely-hood of you being pregnant. If you had become pregnant before your period then you more than likely would not have had it, menses is a result of an egg not being fertilized so your uterus gets ready for round 2 and sheds the lining of the uterus wall so another layer can swell up and get ready to go, and missing a single pill, though not good, isn't as bad as missing 3 or more. As long as you made sure you took the rest of them religiously, there is a slim chance of you being pregnant.

Of course there's also the case that bc isn't 100% effective, they can only claim 99.98% on the injection and 98% on most pills, so there's always an exception somewhere within the population.

But like I said, since you did have a period after the potentially missed pill the chances are slim, but the only way to know for sure is a pregnancy test and it may be too soon to get a store bought one. Just watch your symptoms, and if you start feeling nauseous I'd go to the doctor because it could be that you're getting sick.

Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Old 05-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
Ponyup

I have a Gyno appointment on the 15th of june to see about switching pills anyway. So I'm sure if I am she'll tell me. My body just feels off. I guess it could be stress or the weather or whatever. I guess if I am I am. I'm in a stable commited relationship so it wouldn't be something we couldn't handle & my mom would be thrilled.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Oh, and I forgot to mention, since you have had a period since you potentially skipped a pill, it also decreases the likely-hood of you being pregnant. If you had become pregnant before your period then you more than likely would not have had it, menses is a result of an egg not being fertilized so your uterus gets ready for round 2 and sheds the lining of the uterus wall so another layer can swell up and get ready to go, and missing a single pill, though not good, isn't as bad as missing 3 or more. As long as you made sure you took the rest of them religiously, there is a slim chance of you being pregnant.

Of course there's also the case that bc isn't 100% effective, they can only claim 99.98% on the injection and 98% on most pills, so there's always an exception somewhere within the population.

But like I said, since you did have a period after the potentially missed pill the chances are slim, but the only way to know for sure is a pregnancy test and it may be too soon to get a store bought one. Just watch your symptoms, and if you start feeling nauseous I'd go to the doctor because it could be that you're getting sick.
My main concern is that I keep reading everywhere that when you are on the pill you don't have a real period. It is a period created by the pill to make women feel more comfortable. I don't really understand how this works. The pill makers say you don't ovulate on the pill so you don't build up a uterain lining. However, if you aren't building up a uterain lining where does the fake period come from. It's very confusing & hopefully something my gyno can explain to me.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Emmsmom

Many women have a small period even when they are pregnant. I know of a few women this has happened too. When it happened it wasn't a "normal" period. They said that it was very light and very short.

I knew I was preg about 2 weeks before my period was to even get here. Breast cancer runs in my family so I was doing the usual check of poking, pushing, and squeezing. I had a clear liquid come out of my nipple and so I took a test to rule a pregnancy out first. Well lo and behold I was preg. I never had any other symptoms for another 3 months.

Everyone is different. I wish you the best!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Lissa

I wouldn't say it's not a real period and that it's not just to make women feel better. Sure, bc stops you from ovulating, but I've been on and off the pill for medical reasons for many years now and I don't see any difference in my periods from when I'm on the pill and when I'm not. The pill just stops ovulation and increases the production of mucus on the cervix to prevent sperm from entering the uterus. Of course, I'm not an expert, but I would hinge it on the fact that they make such a big deal when they come out with a pill that gives you a period every 4 months, and why it's been in the news lately that they're getting close to a breakthrough that will stop periods completely while on whatever medication it is.

I'm not a huge fan of stopping periods, it's a natural occurring thing, so why stop nature?

Cake or Death, Melissa

Old 05-24-2007, 03:46 AM   #13
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I'm not a huge fan of stopping periods, it's a natural occurring thing, so why stop nature?

For me, it is the most painful thing in the world. I stay up literally all night in tears because it hurts so much. No medication works...midal, excederin, tylenol...nothing. I would love a pill that would make it go away. I'm sure my poor husband wouldn't mind either since he usually has to just watch me suffer and there isn't really anything he can do to help. Do you know what this medication is called?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 05-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #14
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles
For me, it is the most painful thing in the world. I stay up literally all night in tears because it hurts so much. No medication works...midal, excederin, tylenol...nothing. I would love a pill that would make it go away. I'm sure my poor husband wouldn't mind either since he usually has to just watch me suffer and there isn't really anything he can do to help. Do you know what this medication is called?
I believe it's called lybril or something like that. They also have seasonal that makes you have a period only every 3 months. seasonal is FDA approved, lybril is still waiting. I will double check that I have the right now.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
AngieDoogles

Thanks Ponyup. I will have to look that up.