4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Mom update!

I took my mother to the heart Dr. last week to find out the results of her echogram. Last year there was a small leak in the valve between the upper and lower chambers of her heart. They didn't think it was anything to worry about at that time.

The results of this test showed that the leak is still there, but also the valve has gotten thicker. It can either be calcium build-up or cholestrial, or it could be an infection. To know for sure I have to take her the 31st to the hospital where she will be doped up and have to swallow a small camera so they can see better.

If it is an infection, she will just have to take anitbiotics to clear it up. If it's one of the other two, she may have to have surgery. She's 84 years old and with her kidneys functioning at only 27%, I just don't know if it would be a good thing to do.

IF she has to have surgery, I guess we'll have lots of questions for the Dr to make sure she'll make it through it alright.

Please pray for my Mother to just have an infection and that it can be cleared up with the antibiotics. With this with my Mom and then hubby's impending back surgery (we'll know when that is after 8:30 this morning) I just don't know how well my nerves are going to hold up. Most of everything for both of them will be left up to me to worry about. My two brothers are not much help.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'll be praying for you, your mother, and your husband. You know that we're here for you and you have my number just give me a call and we'll chat.

I'm sure that the doctors will check out your Mom's kidneys and make sure that she can make it through the surgery all right. I have the leaky heart valve too. It's called Mitral Valve Prolapse.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Janet, my prayers are with you all.

Something for you to consider...

IF mom would refuse surgery if that's what the tests indicate, is there anything to be gained by putting her through the test? Could she possibly be given the anbtibiotics to see if they work first? (since that would avoid any sedation or invasive procedures) In her shoes I think I'd push for that before I'd agree to any more tests.

My grandma had several episodes of unexplained rectal hemmoraging over many years. The dr kept insisting she have colonoscopies to try to figure it out and nothing ever showed up. Finally the dr told her it was time for the dreaded test again...
Grandma looked him in the eye and asked "IF you find something will you want to operate?"
He took her hand and said kindly "Clara, with your heart as it is, I'm not sure surgery is a good option for you."
Grandma thought about it for a minute, put her other hand on top of his, locked eyes with him, and said "Then you shove that camera up your own @$$ 'cause you're not touching mine!"

Dr Adams still has to tell me that story almost every time I go to see him. He said he loved her spunk and in the long view, she was right. Sometimes we need to say ENOUGH already and do what we can without trying to figure out things we can't change anyway. Is your Mom maybe reaching that point?

I don't want to upset you, but the situation just reminds me so much of what grandma went through. She, by the way, lived several more years and never did have that test again. In the end she died of heart failure.

Last edited by Tink; 07-27-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Janet

This test will not be so bad. They don't put her under, just get her dopey and let her swallow this small camera. If it's not an infection, it will be totally up to Mom as to what she wants to do. I think it should always be up to the individual.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Tink

Janet, I agree completely.
I hope it goes well and they find an easy fix for her problem
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
DianeW

JANET - I REALLY FEEL FOR YOUR SITUATION, I AM GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR ONE WITH MY AUNT (SHE IS LIKE A MUM TO ME THOUGH....)

SHE HAD TO HAVE HEART BYPASS SURGERY LAST THURSDAY, SHE HAS HAD 4 HEART ATTACKS OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS, AND WAS GETTING INCREASINGLY ILL, AFTER ALL THE TESTS THE DR'S DECIDED TO DO THE OPERATION.

WE WERE ALL WORRIED AS SHE IS 75 YEARS OLD AND TOO HAS A KIDNEY PROBLEM. THE OPERATION WENT REALLY WELL, BUT SHE IS SLOWER THAN OTHER PATIENTS IN THE WARD TO RECOVER. SHE IS UP AND MOVING AROUND NOW AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE GOING HOME ON MONDAY. SHE IS STILL IN PAIN, BUT WE KEEP TELLING HER IT IS TO BE EXPECTED AFTER MAJOR SURGERY!!!!!!!!!

SHE ASKED THE DR A QUESTION ON THE NIGHT BEFORE HER SURGERY -

IF YOU WERE ME WOULD YOU HAVE THE OPERATION?

HIS REPLY WAS -

MOST CERTAINLY - THERE ARE MORE RISKS TO YOU NOT HAVING IT DONE, THAN THERE ARE BY HAVING IT DONE. SHE WAS HAPPY WITH THIS REPLY.

I HOPE YOUR MUM WILL BE SPARED THE SURGERY, WHICH IS DIFFICULT WHATEVER AGE, BUT MORE SO IN THE ELDERLY.

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Hi Janet,

I just read the thread with your mom not feeling well, I will say a prayer that the tests come back and all she needs in antibodics.. Good luck

Diane W, I wish your aunt a speedy recovery .
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeW
JANET - I REALLY FEEL FOR YOUR SITUATION, I AM GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR ONE WITH MY AUNT (SHE IS LIKE A MUM TO ME THOUGH....)

SHE HAD TO HAVE HEART BYPASS SURGERY LAST THURSDAY, SHE HAS HAD 4 HEART ATTACKS OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS, AND WAS GETTING INCREASINGLY ILL, AFTER ALL THE TESTS THE DR'S DECIDED TO DO THE OPERATION.

WE WERE ALL WORRIED AS SHE IS 75 YEARS OLD AND TOO HAS A KIDNEY PROBLEM. THE OPERATION WENT REALLY WELL, BUT SHE IS SLOWER THAN OTHER PATIENTS IN THE WARD TO RECOVER. SHE IS UP AND MOVING AROUND NOW AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE GOING HOME ON MONDAY. SHE IS STILL IN PAIN, BUT WE KEEP TELLING HER IT IS TO BE EXPECTED AFTER MAJOR SURGERY!!!!!!!!!

SHE ASKED THE DR A QUESTION ON THE NIGHT BEFORE HER SURGERY -

IF YOU WERE ME WOULD YOU HAVE THE OPERATION?

HIS REPLY WAS -

MOST CERTAINLY - THERE ARE MORE RISKS TO YOU NOT HAVING IT DONE, THAN THERE ARE BY HAVING IT DONE. SHE WAS HAPPY WITH THIS REPLY.

I HOPE YOUR MUM WILL BE SPARED THE SURGERY, WHICH IS DIFFICULT WHATEVER AGE, BUT MORE SO IN THE ELDERLY.

GOOD LUCK
I like what the Dr. said to your aunt. I hope her recovery is fast and with the love of her family that will certainly help.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Dear Janet,

Prayers for your Mom, your husband and for you, the caretaker.

Just holler if you need me.

Love you,

Judy

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
Dear Janet,

Prayers for your Mom, your husband and for you, the caretaker.

Just holler if you need me.

Love you,

Judy

Thanks Judy, I so appreciate your friendship, it means a lot to me as well as all the other ladies here. I take Mom for the procedure today and will have to leave here in about 45 minutes. Not sure what time we'll get back.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Janet

I took Mom in for the T.E.E. procedure, where they stick a camera down her throat to look at the backside of her heart. She does NOT have an infection. It seems she had a light heart attack and didn't know it. It caused part of the bracket on the side of her heart (holding it in place) is broken. The Dr. that did the procedure will read it more this afternoon and evening and then send the results to her heart Dr. It really looks like she will have to have heart surgery to repair the damage.

They are still treating her with shots so that the kidneys will tell the bone marrow to make more blood cells since she's not really losing blood, just not making enough. AND her kidneys are functioning at 27%. It really doesn't sound good, but we'll know more and understand it all better when we see her heart Dr. on the 13th.

Hubby has his back surgery the 9th, school starts the 13th and I also take Mom on the 13th. I think it's going to get a little rougher before it gets better.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Poor Mom! We'll all be praying for her heath and that she keeps her spirits up.

Love,
Judy

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Tink

Janet, you've really got your hands full right now. My prayers will continue for you and your family.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Janet I will be praying for you and your family.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #15
Janet

Thanks everyone. It has been a bit nerve wrecking here lately. Seems like everything is happening at once. Now my husband says his insurance may not pay him disability while he's off three months. That is not good for us. He has Aflack through his work and I guess they are one of the worst insurances to have. We've never had to use it because I carried all our health insurance. Mine will cover me if I'm off work, but not my spouse.

I'm not sure how much more bad news or stress I can take. I know we're never given more than we can hancle, but I feel like I'm about ready to go nuts. Who knows, I may be happier if I'm nuts....LOL