4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

My son's friend

My son passed hes scooter driving test last week, first time, he did very well, and we are proud of him. They can go for the scooter test when they turn 16, and drivers test (car) at 18, in this country, incase some of you didnt know.

We keep telling him to drive careful, dont go too fast, no racing with friends, my nervs have been shot about it, and it really takes getting used to, knowing he is out there riding a scooter, i had several of them, and know they are FUN to ride, i know how fast they go, heck i even did wheelies on them, but to think my own son is driving one, is about to drive me to drink.

Anyhow, hes friend, passed the test a few days ago, and was hit by a drunken driver late yesterday afternoon. The car caught him from the side going 120km per hour. Due to the impact, he flew off hes scooter, and landed a few meters futher on the pavement, broke hes leg, arm, but thank goodness, he had tied hes helmet under the chin, and was wearing a full helmet.

Lastnight my son drives into our street, and hes scooter breaks down, and to tell you, i honestly dont mind, hes dad told him to take it to the shop this am, and as far as i'm concerned, it can stay there!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Oh Mandy - I am so sorry about your son's friend. Thank goodness it wasn't worse, oh my goodness.

All 3 of my kids have gone through that "begginning" driver stage and it is frustrating/scary/nerve wracking, etc. It truly is enough to send a Mom over the edge. But....it's that part of their life just as we had gone through when we were their age.

Place that bottled up fear into an angel's hands and try to relax. Let your son experience the same as you did. You've been great sitting him down and explaining all the responsibilities that having a scooter has and that's important.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could wrap a plastic bubble around all those we love in hopes to protect from every danger out there? Let life's mishaps just bounce off them and never harm! In a perfect world I guess?

Anyway - try not to worry your heart too much. Before you know it he will give you something else to worry about, LOL (kidding)

It's just what we mother's do....worry till we're sick, totally amazing isn't it?

Tell Collin I am glad his scooter broke down, LOL (kidding) but that when he get's back on and riding to thank his lucky stars for everything around him and to be safe. He's lucky he's only got one Mom, LOL cuz I am sure their are plenty of Mom's who could sit him down along with you and give him that list of do's and don'ts. OMG wouldn't he freak? hahahahha

Hugs!!
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad to hear that your son's friend wasn't hurt too awful badly. Your son will learn to be even more cautious now that he's seen what can happen. There are so many things out in this world that are dangerous for our children and so we just have to place them in God's hands. But Mom's always worry about their children. It's what we do best!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Oh Mandy I know your pain. My son got his drivers license last January and I'm still a nervous wreck when he takes off. I wish here in the states they would raise the age to 18, but it would 'cramp' too many parents lives, I guess.

Hope your son's friend heals quickly and will always be careful and watchful of others.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
AngieDoogles

Aww Mandy, I'm so sorry about your son's friend. I'm glad he wasn't hurt badly though.

It must be such a scary time for mothers when their children start driving. I remember how scared my mom was because her brother was killed in an automobile accident. It was difficult to convince her to let me drive, but she did because she knew I would need to learn at some point...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
katepoet

We have friends with scooters here, too, but the traffic is so heavy I don't want our son to get one. They just aren't as expected I think. I am glad your son's friend survived - hope he is a quick healer. I am also glad that your son's scooter broke down at home and not on some main road while in transit - phew! Hang in there, Mom!
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Mandy

Thanks girls ~ i now remember what my mom told me years ago "small children, small problems - big children, big problems" .... a lot of those "reminders" from way back, are coming back to me now.

Hey Sheryl, thanks for the reminder!! LOL >>>> Anyway - try not to worry your heart too much. Before you know it he will give you something else to worry about, LOL (kidding)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
highlans

Mandy I know what you are going through my son 18 has just passed last week his driveing test it took him 4 attemps, ashamed to say each time he failed I was glad but you mum's will understand that. He has been given a car but when he goes out I give him a list of do's and dont's and he smile's and say's yes mum and I can only hope he takes heed. But I cannot relax untill he is home safe and if out at night like this evening I will not be able to sleep untill he is home, hubby on the other hand is able to snore through all my worrying.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Mandy

Highlans i understand completly. You lay awake, and wonder if he is ok, and will finally fall asleep when you hear the key open the door, and know hes home safe.

Both my husband, and i lay awake when our son goes out night-fishing with friends, we take our cell phones, and landline phone, and keep them on the side table next to the bed, waiting for one of them to ring lol - during the night my husband phones him a couple of times to ask him if "hes had a bait" but i know better lol - before he hangs up, he will tell him "if there is anything, U CALL"

It's hard to let go, i try not to show him, but i am clear to him of my worries. I have seen too many accidents happen, few friends, with kids hes age, it's just something that will never wipe off my mind.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
katepoet

And I am waiting for my 18 year old son to feel well enough to get his license and get out there. We all seem to worry over our kids no matter what they are doing. I look forward to worrying over him being out. So remind me that I said that when it happens! lol
Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

My son is 16. I am probably going to let him start the process of getting his license in January. I am not ready for him to drive but I may need him to while I am going through treatments and especially after the surgery. There was a 17 year old girl in his school killed in a car wreck last week. I really hate when they grow up and we have to let go.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
katepoet

I am sure it will always mean a lot to him, that he was able to act as an adult and drive you to and from your treatments.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by katepoet
I am sure it will always mean a lot to him, that he was able to act as an adult and drive you to and from your treatments.
I'm 21 and she has only let me drive her once and that was because the doctor says she wasn't allowed to drive due to the anesthetics and pain medication. I have a stubborn Mom, that's for sure!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
katepoet

My father went back and forth with letting us help and needing to handle it on his own. I can relate to that - these days I have to accept any help that's offered but it almost always feels a bit off. I am so grateful for all that I am given.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #15
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't think we'll ever stop worrying. My 31 year old neice lives about 2 hours away and my brother still makes her call before she comes home and after she arrives back to her house. I guess in some way...they will always be our babies.