4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Woman finds bag filled with $65,000!

Debbie Cole of Largo found a plastic bag on the road stuffed with $65,000! What would you do if you found a bag filled with enough money to make your life easier?

http://asp.usatoday.com/community/othervoices/default.aspx?bbPostId=CzArNVG1W1X35CzEglkQCpcSeeCz Dh6mMWpw7dDBADjWx4ALSKI&bbParentWidgetId=B8rfF3qSl epWz4riibGq6vE7&req=blogburst&tag=offbeat^news
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Wow, that's incredible! I couldn't get your link to work though. Is there a different link you could post?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Id want to buy land, build a barn, a junker truck for work stuff.....and the list goes on and on and on and on.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I would like to think I would turn it in, but in all honesty I wouldn't want to. Things are a little tough right now with the hubby being off since Aug. 9. I really could use the money, but I sure wouldn't tell hubby at all.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Mandy

I can think of a lot of things i would do, my list is long, but right not i would want to go on a long vacation!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Well, first I would turn it in because it might have been a little old woman's life savings or something. But if it wasn't claimed and I received it back I would probably give it to my husband to help make farm payments. The flood hurt us this year and our crops haven't produced as much as they should have and my husband's combine went under so now he needs another one. He's not saying too much about finances to me because he knows that I get really stressed. I think that this time I wouldn't think about myself.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
katepoet

The law is also that you must turn it in - there is no finders keepers, losers weepers legislation!

Temptation can really test your ethics. We are so tight that turning it in would be hard but I expect that I would do it. How could I hold my head up in front of my husband and son if I lied and kept it?
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How do you know who to turn it in to? In NYC, that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. You can't put up posters "Did anyone lose $65,000? If so, call me."

I wouldn't just hand it over to the police so it can lay in a a basement somewhere.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Here's a link that should work.
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/05/So...n_cash__.shtml

The bag sounds like the ones we used at the bank which means it would have had Loomis armored and the name of the place it had been picked up at right on the package. So we couldn't use that excuse... lol

I would be sorely tempted but believe I'd turn it in. There are so many safeguards in place to prevent people spending large amounts of money that they shouldn't have that I'd be afraid of getting caught with it and wouldn't enjoy it anyway.

If you deposit more than normal your bank is supposed to try to know why... if you suddenly have a lot more cash than usual that you're paying things off with or purchasing things with, it will often be reported...

As an example, we had someone think he was hot stuff and come into the closing on a property with a duffle bag full of cash and dramatically dump it on the table. BY LAW we had to notify the FBI so that they could investigate where the guy might have come up with it. He might have felt important for the day, but it did come back to bite him. (he'd been stealing and selling things and was growing pot on the property he'd bought that day) when the FBI finally finished their investigation of him and went to his new place to arrest him. He had a shed filled with stolen property and had he not acted so blatant and foolish he might have gotten by with it.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
AngieDoogles

It's sad that she didn't get any kind of reward for that! Poor woman...at least she knows she did the right thing...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
katepoet

I love that her manager is trying to find a way to reward her. I bet her town will step up too, with a plaque or a day in her honor. They often do.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
Gina

This reminds me of an article I read in newspaper last week about a woman who found a painting in a trash in NYC a few years ago , and found out that it was stolen and was an expensive painting from a Mexican artist. A man brought it for his wife as a present many years ago and it was stolen. She returned the painting and is being auction off in at Sotheby's auction house for one million dollars.. She will be getting a finders fee of 15,000 and I believe they say Sothebys is giving her a reward also..

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/sto...-painting.html
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
katepoet

Very cool, Gina! People can really be quite nice!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
This reminds me of an article I read in newspaper last week about a woman who found a painting in a trash in NYC a few years ago , and found out that it was stolen and was an expensive painting from a Mexican artist. A man brought it for his wife as a present many years ago and it was stolen. She returned the painting and is being auction off in at Sotheby's auction house for one million dollars.. She will be getting a finders fee of 15,000 and I believe they say Sothebys is giving her a reward also..

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/sto...-painting.html
Wow Gina, that was a great article! It would be really exciting to find out that a piece of "trash" was actually a long lost $1 million treasure!
Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
rivermom

LOL - I posted to this thread not being able to read the article so not fully understanding the story behind the money or the question as to what to do with it. So NOW that I know, it changes a lot....

Yes, first id try to find the owner of the money. Of course I would...And if nobody claimed it Id go back to my first answer/post of buying land, building a barn, a junker truckfor work stuff, and the list goes on and on.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote