4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Book Club

Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good books

I'm doing unabridged audiobooks at the moment. I love to read, but don't seem to have the patience since I retired.

Audiobooks are wonderful. You have somebody reading to you, which is a very different experience, but really relaxing. I love it on the beach!

I'm listening to [I]The Thirteenth Tale at the moment. It's so good. Very well written. It's not a horror story.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I've never used them Judy but it sounds like a really nice idea. I do quite a bit of driving and Id like to try an audio book in the truck. Hmmm, now it's just a matter of figuring out what id like to hear.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Tell me more about the audio books. Where do you get them, library? Buy them? I love to read, but would so love to be read to. Seems like when I read anything anymore...I get so sleepy.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
katepoet

Our library has them and there is also a local shop that rents them out for about$3.99 when one doesn't want to wait for the library. And Cracker Barrel restaurant rents them for less than that, I believe. One pays the same rental fee there but gets most of it returned when one returns the audio book. Plus there are numerous sites where you can pay a fee - that is usually greater - and download the book to your computer.
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

In NYC, our library has a net library and you can download them for free.

Sheryl, I usually go to Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble and see what's around that I want to read, and then I look for it.

E-bay has some really cheap. I do hate to pay much for an audiobook.

One thing - I never listen to anything but unabridged.

They're great when you're driving. I have a little gizmo thingie that runs my mp3 player through my radio and I just listen to my book. The only thing is when I need to think about where I'm going, or read directions, I can't pay attention to the book. Rewinding is too distracting, so it's classic rock at those times.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I've never listened to an audio book before. I'll have to try one sometime. I know our library has them...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Janet

The 'unabrigded' is the long book...lol right?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yup - it's the uncut version - the same as the book itself.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I've listened to a couple of audio books when I'm traveling alone. I really enjoy them but you have to know about the author's style. One of them that I got had a lot of word that I don't enjoy hearing so I didn't finish that one.

I get mine from the library. They have a good selection and it doesn't cost anything. I bought one for my husband off of e-bay that he listens to in the tractor. Hmmmm.......maybe I should consider another one for Christmas!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Paychiawita

Good books

Ive managed to get a copy of The Help in large print - it has less people waiting for it than the normal one does. The other two books have a huge wait list for them
Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I've listened to a couple of audio books when I'm traveling alone. I really enjoy them but you have to know about the author's style. One of them that I got had a lot of word that I don't enjoy hearing so I didn't finish that one.

I get mine from the library. They have a good selection and it doesn't cost anything. I bought one for my husband off of e-bay that he listens to in the tractor. Hmmmm.......maybe I should consider another one for Christmas!!!!

There was a comedian on TV last night who was very funny, but they bleeped out just about every 3rd word! I changed the channel. What's the point? I can see a few explitives in a book, or a movie, but I don't understand why so many are necessary.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Janet

Boy....this is an old thread...lol. I think you can get audio books on the IPad too Judy....I just know I saw them on there somewhere.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Boy....this is an old thread...lol. I think you can get audio books on the IPad too Judy....I just know I saw them on there somewhere.
Oh! I didn't know you could get audio books on the iPad! Now i have to look for them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

You can get them on your iPhone, too! I don't know who posted before...but The Help is a great book! So is Water for Elephants.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I am listening to The Lincoln Lawyer in the car, reading Pork Pie Hat, an old Peter Straub book, and downloaded I Am Not A Serial Killer to read on the kindle on my ipad. The next book for the car is The Tiger's Wife.

I definitely want to get Water for Elephants Betsi. It looks great!

So many books, so little time!