4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 09-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
brkfst8tiffanys

I'll be the first..Nurses?

I bet there's a bunch of nurses out there!! So time to speak up and say what kind of nursing you do. What's cool about our profession is how many different things you can do with a nursing degree.

I am a Registered Nurse. I work for a private Pediatric practice coordinating clinical trials. Previously I did hospital nursing on a pediatric ward, worked at a pediatric clinic, became the nursing director for pediatric clinic...hated it...decided I did not want to deal with personnel issues, and stumbled into clinical research at the same pediatric clinic. I absolutely LOVE this job!! Being a "type A" personality, it suits me. There are protocols to follow with strict guidelines. There are many ethical and legal issues involved in research, it is fascinating. I love being involved in gettting needed treatments to the patients. I get to give all my little ones alot of TLC and closer attention than I got to do in any of my other roles. I get to know families and children so well, we become part of each other's lives...which I feel I have a part in making a little more comfortable, healthy, easier!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Mandy78

I think nurses are one of the most UNDERPAID professions. You all do just about everything for the patients and for the doctors. And I am sure you aren't always treated with the respect you deserve!

So, I just want to thank all you GREAT nurses out there who love what you do and for taking such good care of us!!!!!
Mandy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy78
I think nurses are one of the most UNDERPAID professions. You all do just about everything for the patients and for the doctors. And I am sure you aren't always treated with the respect you deserve!

So, I just want to thank all you GREAT nurses out there who love what you do and for taking such good care of us!!!!!
I agree!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Jlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I agree!!!!
ditto!
Jlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Amber_lv

I was a C.N.A for a while and i tell you nurses and cna's are underpaid i wanted to become a nurse but i got pregnant and wasn't able to go to college now i have another baby and it's just never gonna happen i can't be away from them to have that kind of career right now but i think when they are older i might try again!!
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
okiegal

a retired R N

I am a retired ICU/CCU, ER, PSYCHIATRIC nurse.....have always worked in specialty units......because of serious health problems I have retired.. I will always miss this wonderful career........It helped put food on our table, educate our kids.... gave us the ability to help our parents and gave us extra income.......plus I loved each and every unit. Never ever bored!!!!

God bless all of you who are still in the trenches.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
Khristine

I'm currently an LVN, but haven't worked since March of 06 because of my pregnancy.. and i got sick from work during my pregnancy that was caused by my job..

i work in a nursing home with geriatrics, although i have also worked with pediatrics in a sub-acute type setting.

i am looking forward to going back to school for my RN and i really want to work in the ob/gyn field

my fiance is also an LVN he works in urgent care at Kaiser permanente hospital..
Old 09-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
magnolia

Although I'm not a nurse, I've been in the medical field for over 14 years working on the administrative/business side. A lot of my dear friends are nurses and yes, they are all underpaid for the job they do. There was a point in time that I wanted to be a nurse, even started out in college with that in mind, but I was young and just couldn't be 100% sure that's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Nurses do so much more than just "nurse" - they are social workers (always talking/listening to the patients and family members), maids (I think this goes without saying), chauffers (moving patients out of the bed to the showers), and sometimes, beauticians - all under the title of nurse. So hats off and bravo to each of you in this profession

Suzi
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
okiegal

respect

In a recent Oklahoma University poll.......Nurses were mentioned as one of the most respected professions......also teachers.

People are personally touched by all of you out there and know that you make a difference in the lives of others.

My hats off to you.

I was packing up our stuff in preparation to eventually move closer to our daughter in Houston....I found my old nursing cap, student uniform, bandage scissors, watch stethoscope,....etc.....At my age, the pieces of my life are stored in boxes

Oh well a new chapter...with new adventures......but my heart will always be in nursing.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
brkfst8tiffanys

[QUOTE=okiegal]I am a retired ICU/CCU, ER, PSYCHIATRIC nurse.....have always worked in specialty units......because of serious health problems I have retired.. I will always miss this wonderful career........It helped put food on our table, educate our kids.... gave us the ability to help our parents and gave us extra income.......plus I loved each and every unit. Never ever bored!!!!

God bless all of you who are still in the trenches.[/QUOTE

Whew, some pretty stressful units, girl! God bless YOU!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
brkfst8tiffanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristine
I'm currently an LVN, but haven't worked since March of 06 because of my pregnancy.. and i got sick from work during my pregnancy that was caused by my job..

i work in a nursing home with geriatrics, although i have also worked with pediatrics in a sub-acute type setting.

i am looking forward to going back to school for my RN and i really want to work in the ob/gyn field

my fiance is also an LVN he works in urgent care at Kaiser permanente hospital..
There are some very good distance learning programs out there. I got my RN after being an LPN by doing it at home with three small children and working full time. I studied during my lunch hours and after the kids went to bed at night.
Check out www.excelsior.edu
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkfst8tiffanys
There are some very good distance learning programs out there. I got my RN after being an LPN by doing it at home with three small children and working full time. I studied during my lunch hours and after the kids went to bed at night.
Check out www.excelsior.edu

We have a daughter finishing her prerequisites to apply for the RN program at our local college. She hopes to enter the program in the spring, but it is very competative. We are concerned about what she can do if she does not make it into the program right away. Did you get your RN from Excelsior?
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
Khristine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
We have a daughter finishing her prerequisites to apply for the RN program at our local college. She hopes to enter the program in the spring, but it is very competative. We are concerned about what she can do if she does not make it into the program right away. Did you get your RN from Excelsior?

after highschool my boyfriend and i were contemplating about doing our prereqs for the RN program here... but of course with the lottery and if we were lucky.. we'd only wait 1 year to get into the program.. but it was to hard and they wanted us to wait 2-3 years to get in.. so that's why my boyfriend and I decided to become LVN's instead.. it was only 13 months.. and its still a great career..

we plan on going back to school though for sure, for our RN...

maybe your daughter might want to be an LVN for now to make that extra cash and save up.. and maybe if she's an LVN she'll have a lot better chances of getting in the RN program.. because that's how it is where i live if your going from LVN to RN.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
brkfst8tiffanys

Marilyn...yes, I got my RN through Excelsior. I still had to sit for the state boards (of course) after I was done with all the course work and clinical test-out. So it is an option
Old 09-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I have to agree with the "salute" to nurses. I've worked as a cna and emt so have worked under many medical professionals and I have always felt the nurses were the ones who really kept the whole show together.

My oldest daughter is an LPN working toward her RN. She's married, works full time taking care of a very ill child in his home and has 2 little girls of her own. She had major medical problems much of her childhood and learned to really love and respect the nursing profession from that vantage point.

I'm really proud of her and ALL who give so much of themselves for the benefit of the rest of us. Nurses rock!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote