4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Question Getting Tired of Driving the Bus!

I have been feeling this way for awhile, but IF and WHEN I decide to find something else, I've got to make it convenient for when puppies arrive.

Besides the kids 'just being kids' some are stretching the limits with me. It's time for me to pull in on the reins once more and get them back in line.

There is a 9th grade girl on my bus that I am having trouble liking, even a little bit. She is the one, a year and a half ago that started the trouble when I inadvertantly called this mother a b'#ch. Remember that?

Well a month or so ago she when I had a substitute driver, she had a little 3rd grader run into his house crying and all upset. This girl had told him that I put her in charge of discipline on the bus which was just another one of the many lies this girl tells. She told him she was taking him to the office the next day and he was in real big trouble. Scared this boy to death. Anyway...I had to put to rest the mothers anger and let her know that this girl was not put in charge.

She is a terrible troublemaker, liar and to be truthful, just someone I have a hard time even looking at.

Okay, fast forward......This 9th grade girl is over 8 months pregnant. She wrote a note and had her dad sign it that says she is uncomfortable riding in the back of the bus because of her pregnancy and she would like to be moved up front. I understand that, BUT my elementary students did nothing to deserve being moved because of the mess she got herself into. I moved her up front and she made the comment that she could entertain the little ones...my comment was you sit up front and leave the kids alone. I personally don't want her influence on them.

Well she decided she didn't like sitting up front after one day and moved back to where she was. Today I get a letter from the counselor saying that this girl needs to sit over a wheelwell (which she already does) or in the front seat because of her pregnancy.

All this girl wants is attention...obviously. I will be going to talk with the counselor about this girl and hopefully can get her removed from my bus. I'm just having trouble having the patience with her. Oh and another thing...I had to pick her up twice at her boyfriends house..(yes her parents must obviously be a piece of work themselves) and she and her 18 year old boyfriend stood at the bus stop acting like they were not going to see each other for a year. I can't have that with the bus kids looking on. She gets on the bus, talking about her pregnancy and some of the kids think it's so cool...not really thinking about the baby, but they see she'll be out of school for awhile.

I just don't want this kind of influence with my bus kids, but not sure what, if anything, I can do about it. We'll see on Monday.

I know this girl probably needs my compassion, but I am having a VERY hard time getting there.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

You are a very patient lady to put up with this!! Sitting down with the counselor on Monday is definitely a good thing. No telling what this girl is telling them. I can't imagine why she would even want to sit up front with the little ones.

What a mess!! This is some kind of world we live in!!!

Maybe you could start a home based business. Not one of the ones you hear advertised, but like a personal assistant who works from their home. There are forums and websites for people who are doing that. I can't think of what it's officially called. We may have discussed it in a previous thread on here a while back.

Hope things work out!!!! and you decide what you really want to do that works with your life needs!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Janet, It's so hard to work with kids anymore. I'm sorry that it's gotten to the point that you're ready to quit. Patience just seems to run out as you get older, anyway it seems that way for me. I'm sorry that you have a difficult girl. There's always one in every crowd. Maybe when you explain to the counselor how she's been behaving he'll decide to remove her from your bus. She doesn't have any business acting out in front of the other kids. I hope that things work out however you would like for them to be!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Working with kids can be the most satisfying and the most difficult job in the world.

She probably does need your compassion, but it sounds like she needs to learn to live within your boundaries to get it. I never wavered with my boundaries. I loved all of my kids, but those who understood my rules got a special love. It was interesting, never spoken about, but those that didn't get that wanted it and worked to get it. It worked for me, and used their energy instead of mine.

Once I realized that I didn't care quite as much as I always had about my kids, I got ready to retire. I never wanted to get to that "teacher (or bus driver) burnout" point.

If that's where you're at, you might want to think about leaving.

Life is too important to work at a job you don't love.

Anyway, now that you're going to be skinny, you can be a model.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
Janet

I really do love driving the bus and most of the time, love the kids. I remember feeling this toward the end of last year too, maybe with being closed up this winter I'm just needing a break. Spring Break will be here next month, so maybe a week off, plus hopefully warmer weather will help, and then school will be out in May.

I'm so afraid of changing jobs, although it seems so inviting to think about.

I would like to know more about the home based businesses you suggested Marilyn. I'm such a picky, organize freak, maybe a personal assistant type position would be right up my alley.

I mostly needed to vent with this thread. The girl does need my compassion, but I am having a hard time with giving it. I'm really anxious to speak with the counselor and see what she says. I just hope I won't have to have her sit up front with my young ones..that is not the example I want set for them. If I do have to give in and let her up front, the rule will be she will not be able to talk. She is only on the bus for 15 minutes...I think she'll live through it.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Janet, vent all you need. It's your turn. LOL

I'm sure it is hard to really enjoy ALL the kids ALL the time. There are bound to be ones you connect with better and easier than others. It seems like some people are just put in our path to test us... Sounds like you know which one it is on your bus!
Quite seriously I think middle-school and high school age girls are often very hard to get along with and being in a position of authority over them on the bus likely makes you "the enemy" regardless of how wonderful the rest of us know you are. While most do outgrow it in time, unfortunately you're stuck dealing with them now.

Hang in there hon. WE're here for you as needed.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Brooke

Hi Janet, I can see why is's so hard. I wouldn't be able to handle a bus full of kids to save my life! Now give me a classroom where they are al around the same age, and I am not busy trying to drive and I can do it!

I feel horrible for this poor baby if there is no one to step in and HELP this young girl to raise it. We can only pray for that little soul. This girl is in for an awakining when she has this baby. She will grow up real fast!

Brooke
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
goofywife
Donating 4WT Yakker

I don't know how you handle it. I know I couldn't

OK Yorkie Rescue-Another Chance at Love
goofywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Janet

I spoke with the counselor and all is well. I have her in the front seat and she's still complaining. I told her she wanted moved, she's moved, get use to it. If she is that uncomfortable she should have her parents take her. I guess she has told the counselor a few lies here lately so she wasn't real thrilled with the girls demands. I told her I had her up front earlier, but she moved back...she neglected to tell the counselor that. It looks like she has dropped, so hopefully she'll have the baby soon and not be riding anymore.

I feel so sorry for this baby. 9th grade mommy, 18 year old daddy, no jobs, parents are worth a darn either. Another mouth in the welfare line. Just so very sad., it breaks my heart...the child won't have a chance.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It doesn't sound like a very good situation to me. Poor baby!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
CoyoteQueen

isnt it refreshing to see where our tax dollars got to!!!!

I love the part about making out at the bus with the bf!!! Classy!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Janet

It's really sad. She wants attention so bad, but went about it the wrong way. She can't take care of herself, let alone a baby.

She got on the bus this morning wearing a pair of pants that were probably a good 10 too long, a big dirty black sweatshirt. Her hair was dirty and she just looked so bad in the face. I do hope someone can talk her into adoption. All babies deserve the best.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

What a sad situation. I hope this family can pull it together for the sake of the child.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote