4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Necee419

Unhappy Anyone have experiences with MS?

MS is a disease that affects mostly women. My husband has this dreadful disease. He was diagnosed with MS 5 years ago, two years before we met. At the time he had painful tingling in his fingertips and didn't know what it was. After being diagnosed, his girlfriend at the time, whom he lived with, started cheating on him. Her excuse was that she had three kids of her own and wanted a man to take care of her, not one she would wind up having to take care of. When we met, he told me about the MS right away. He wanted to give me the chance to "escape" while I could. We have been together 3 years and got married earlier this year. In that time, his condition has gotten slightly worse. He is currently on Rebif, a subcutaneous injection therapy that he takes 3 times a week. He walks with a very pronounced limp and he has had two very serious relapses that have left him unable to walk. With the miracle of a 5 day steroid treatments, he was able to recover both times. He is a teacher and has to be on his feet all day. Most days he comes home exhausted. My husband is the love of my life. We have been through some tough times because of his disease and it has been emotionally draining at times. But through it all, we have emerged stronger and more united. It is very difficult for him sometimes. Society finds it acceptable for women to be weak and feeble but not men. Whenever he feels weak, he feels like he is failing me and that I deserve better. What he fails to see is that he is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I wouldn't trade him for a truckload of healthy men. Sorry for getting so sappy, but this makes me rather emotional. Does anyone else have any experiences with MS? We need to find a cure for this horrible disease that robs young people of their independence, self esteem and ultimately, their dignity.
Necee419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
What a great post!!! Sure sounds like you are both very, very lucky to have each other!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Necee419

Thank you. Sometimes it gets really hard. Whenever we go to his neurologist and we see people in the waiting room in wheelchairs, it hits me hard. I know that one day that could be him. We keep our faith and pray that it never gets to that point but it is very possible. The worst part of this disease is that it can attack any part of your body. You can lose your sight, hearing, ability to walk, talk, etc. It is really scary. A few famous people like Terri Garr, and Montell Williams have it and they bring awareness about the disease and are helping raise money to find a cure. We hope that one day they'll succeed.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Taurus Babe

My boyfriends mother had MS. Also a good family friend has it and suffers from a limp and sometimes shaky hands (from what I know). It is a terrible disease. Sounds like you and your husband are very lucky to have found each other...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Necee, I used to take care of a woman who had MS. She was a retired RN and weighed over 300 lbs which didn't help her condition any. She taught me a bit about the disorder, such as it can change like the weather. One of the major symptoms associated with it is depression and as with your hubby, good support and acceptance can be a major help or hinderance.

Your guy is lucky to have you. Bless you for being able to see past the problems to the real man. Sounds like God knew what He was doing when He put the 2 of you together.

HUGS
Old 09-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Sherry Lynn

My oldest brother and a dear friend have it, and the weather really does cause problems. It's the barometric pressure causing the muscles and bones to expand and contract...

I saw this on Geraldo at Large yesterday and found it on the Internet. When you get to the site, look in the top right corner for the MS Treatment video.

www.geraldoatlarge.com

And you're close to this doctor, too.
Sherry Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Ellen

You are lucky your husband is very lucky to have someone like you to be by his side. I have a friend that as MS her husband wanted a baby she was in a wheelchair she had a beautiful little girl her husband walk away from both of them he said he wanted a woman to walk by his side sick jerk. Today the lady can't do anything for herself her mother has took care of both the child and mother the child is 10years old now. jill has had Ms for over 20 years. I thank you for staying and loving him, you make me proud.Clay walker has MS to,country singer.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Necee419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
You are lucky your husband is very lucky to have someone like you to be by his side. I have a friend that as MS her husband wanted a baby she was in a wheelchair she had a beautiful little girl her husband walk away from both of them he said he wanted a woman to walk by his side sick jerk. Today the lady can't do anything for herself her mother has took care of both the child and mother the child is 10years old now. jill has had Ms for over 20 years. I thank you for staying and loving him, you make me proud.Clay walker has MS to,country singer.
That is awful. MS is a very difficult thing to live with and it has been very hard on both of us. There have been times of weakness where I get overwhelmed but I would NEVER leave my husband. If you truly love someone, you stick by them no matter what. Obviously that jerk did not love her or his child. He will get what is coming to him one day. "In sickness and in health" was the vow I pledged to my husband and I will honor that "til death do us part."
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
In my other post I wrote that "God doesn't bring us to it, without getting us through it" and I believe that. You took your vows seriously. I know sometimes it's hard, but what if it was the other way around? We do what we know is the right thing and know we will be rewarded in the end. You sound like an angel on earth to me.....
Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Luv2Teach

My grandma has had MS since the early 80s. Her condition gets worse every year. She's been in a wheel chair probably for the last 24 years. She has high spirits! I wish there would have been a cure or something to slow down the progress of the disease.

A coworker of mine was diagnosed with MS in her early 30s. Now she seems to be doing fine. I'll try to contact her to see what they did for her.

Best wishes!
Old 09-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
Necee419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Teach
My grandma has had MS since the early 80s. Her condition gets worse every year. She's been in a wheel chair probably for the last 24 years. She has high spirits! I wish there would have been a cure or something to slow down the progress of the disease.

A coworker of mine was diagnosed with MS in her early 30s. Now she seems to be doing fine. I'll try to contact her to see what they did for her.

Best wishes!
I am so sorry for your grandma. My husband is on Rebif, a beta-interferon medication that supposedly slows the progression of the disease. He has to inject himself with this med. 3 times a week. His neurologist is in Mt. Sinai hospital in NYC that has an MS clinic. They are very up to date on all the lastest treatments. Unfortunately with MS, sometimes even the best medications don't always help. We are hoping with the advances in modern science, one day they'll find a cure.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Necee419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
In my other post I wrote that "God doesn't bring us to it, without getting us through it" and I believe that. You took your vows seriously. I know sometimes it's hard, but what if it was the other way around? We do what we know is the right thing and know we will be rewarded in the end. You sound like an angel on earth to me.....
Thank you Janet. It is hard sometimes but I believe God put us together for a reason. My MIL and my grandmother are very religious and they both offer us spiritual comfort when times get hard. I don't know if I will be rewarded in the end, but I know just having him in my life is a reward in itself. He is a wonderful man and he has made me very happy. Come what may, we will get through it because we have each other.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Emmsmom

I have a good friend who has MS. She just found out she had it about 4 years ago. She is 33 and has 2 children. She also has to take the shots once a week. Just a FYI you can possibly get the shots much cheaper going through the company that manufactures it. She couldn't afford them and someone pointed her in this direction. She has her good days and her bad days but her kids keep her going and keep her spirits up. Take Care! HUGS
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I don't know anyone personally who has MS, but I do want to say that you are a wonderful woman and that you are both lucky to have each other...God Bless you both and I hope they find a cure for this disease soon...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
May5

My cousin was diagnosed with MS last year. She was pregnant at the time, but had a beautiful healthy baby. She's only 30 years old, and she's in complete denial; so are her parents. They claim that she was only "under stress" but that she's ok now (they don't WANT to believe she may relapse). I feel terrible because since she refuses to believe there's anything wrong, she's not receiving any treatment. I really wish there was a cure for this terrible disease....
I'm sorry about your husband; you're such a great wife to love him so much and stay by his side. I know that's the way it supposed to be, but so many people bail at the first sign of trouble.....