4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
magnolia

So, what's your occupation?

Me - I'm the Medical Records Manager for a Long Term Acute Care Hospital. I am the only one in the department and am responsible for all the coding, charts, you name it - if it involves medical records, I do it! I do have someone from HR who helps me part time when her job duties will allow her time over here. I have never done medical coding prior to this job (but have a history in medical records and working in the hospital setting) and I absolutely love it! I find it very interested reading some of the different illnesses our patients have, their medical histories, and so forth.

So - what do you do?

"Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been"....Jimmy Buffett
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I think we did this but ...I'm a school bus driver!! My husband has been doing auto body repair for 37 years.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
hle_625

I have a very boring job! I work for my mom, she owns a cultured marble company! So I sit in this office all day long and do pretty much nothing. The days feel like weeks! But the best part is, I get to spend my days on here bc my mom doesnt care! LOL
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
cindy0721

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy0721
Quote:
Originally Posted by hle_625
I have a very boring job! I work for my mom, she owns a cultured marble company! So I sit in this office all day long and do pretty much nothing. The days feel like weeks! But the best part is, I get to spend my days on here bc my mom doesnt care! LOL
hey heather.... do you guys also sell granite?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
hle_625

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0721
hey heather.... do you guys also sell granite?

No we dont, we only do the cultured stuff! We live in MO, we are all poor folk! j/k LOL
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Winkie

I am a Billing Analyst for Verizon Business, no....... MCI, no..... WorldCom, no.....LDDS. LOL They have changed the name so many times in the last 11 years it almost a joke. But I love my job, not so happy with the company though. I have never worked for a large company before and it has really been an eye opening experience. I owned 3 pet shops and groomed dogs fro 25 years. Made a great living and raised my 2 girls. I thought this would be a nice change. Now I'm just waiting for retirement to come. 4 more years........yea!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

My hubby and I are self employeed. We own a full service dental lab. Making crowns, dentures, partials, night guards, etc. I maintain the books and help w/ pick up and delivery on the north end. We have two other employees who are awesome and work in the lab and pick up/delivery in the south end of town.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
PatM

I'm a medical transcriptionist which kinda holds hands with medical records. I have been doing it off and on for the last 17 years. I work in an office now, but getting ready to go home and do it. I also like to read the patient's charts.

Pat
Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
2tiredmom

I work in the County Auditor's office. I do land real estate transfers. I also work with GIS mapping. So if anyone takes a piece of land and divides it I get to go on the computer and draw it. I work with personal property , mobile homes, and
exemptions. I have been doing this job for 4 years here and 19 years elsewhere.
It's a job. But then it's all I know. I have 20 years to go before I can retire.
But things may be looking up come the first of the year.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Shannon

I am a Personal Assistant for 2 writers. I am also a licensed esthetician, but I am not currently working as one.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
My hubby and I are self employeed. We own a full service dental lab. Making crowns, dentures, partials, night guards, etc. I maintain the books and help w/ pick up and delivery on the north end. We have two other employees who are awesome and work in the lab and pick up/delivery in the south end of town.
I need a night guard...I grind my teeth!! Hook it up!! Hahaha, just kidding, I know I have to go through my stupid insurance company who will then rip me off.

Okay back on topic. I am a student (I guess that's my career for now). I want to eventually work with less advantaged women and children...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm a Civil Engineering Technician. I worked last year in a geotechnical consulting lab, basically going out to construction sites to test soil, concrete, and asphalt, giving suggestions to contractors, and bringing samples back to the lab where I would run more tests. I came back to school in January, and I've been in school all year long, even right through summer! But when I graduate in December I'll be a Technologist, which means I can get a higher position than just working in a lab. I can supervise, draft, or assist engineers. If I decide, and can afford, to take 2 more years of school in the future I can get my degree and be a REAL engineer

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

My degree is mechanical engineering. I worked in a a petrochemical plant for 15 years, then went into industrial sales. I sell valves to petrochemical, power and related industries. It's interesting & pays well, but at the moment am having personnel problems. I am so frustrated & upset, I'd like to just quit, but with two daughters in college....and we want a really comfortable retirement.... I saw a sign tonight that our school district is in need of custodians. Do you think they would hire me???

Would like to work for myself like my husband does. He's a custom home builder. I could work for him, but I'd have to increase his business quite a bit to make the change worth while. So guess I will have to get up and go to work tomorrow & work the issues out. Bummer!!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #14
Luv2Teach

I'm a first grade teacher
Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Passionfruition

I'm a wedding and portrait photographer! I love my job - every minute of it, even the bridezilla moments (haha, well, sortof). In the past 5 months, I've photographed 23 weddings and next year is shaping up to be just as busy.

If anyone lives in or wants to visit the Charleston SC area (such a photogenic city!!!) I would love to take your portraits so PM me.
Passionfruition is offline   Reply With Quote