4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Stupid Dryer!!!!!!

The timer on my dryer quite a while back and we'd still been able to somewhat use it but now it's not heating! I've had my washer and dryer set since about 1987 so I guess that I'd due a new set, but the timing isn't good. I was planning on them working for another year or so at least, especially since we got a new refrigerator a couple of Christmas's ago and a new stove just a while back. I checked in town but the one store that we have that sells appliances doesn't have Maytag and that's the only brand that I think I want. I've had such good luck with mine (just don't buy a Maytag stove--my opinion).

I guess that I'm going to run to a nearby town and see what they've got or maybe tomorrow I'll drive to Wichita, if I don't find anything today. This is just NOT what I had planned for today and hubby is too busy to go with me and help pick them out. Oh well, he's not the one who uses them anyway! So I'll talk to ya'll later!! Wish me luck!!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Bayou Baby

Hope you find the one you want. Did you do any research on all of the maytags that are out there. I like Maytag also and would not like to change unless they became obsolete. I google the product reviews on everything before I buy!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Good luck finding a nice one.
I know all about how it is to have major appliances bit the dust as my refig is slowly dying. We bought it in 1991, so it's done good with never so much as a hiccup, but now it's fading fast.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

These little surprises can knock you off your feet for a while! I hope you find exactly what you want at a good price.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Diana...it's really never a good time for buying appliances is it? I like Maytag also. I have a Whirpool now (I think they're made my Maytag) and I love this set. Both are so energy efficient. Ours are about 3 or 4 years old.

I wanted one of those front loaders, but I've just heard too many negatives especially about the smell around the door seal. I think that by the time the ones I have now go out, the front loaders will be perfected a little more. I do know they are suppose to be better on the clothes, but I still have clothes that are OLD and as long as I follow the washing instructions, they last.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Shada

Sorry you have to buy a new dryer. You got a lot years out if it.. I am also a Maytag fan. My last house a Maytag washer and dryer were there when I bought the house. They were 15 years at that time. I lived there for 13 years and 9 years later they are still being used! Fantastic!

Hope you found a great deal.
So... wha'cha get?
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I checked with the Consumer's Report and Maytay front loaders are the worst on repairs so now I don't know what to do. I'm glad that I didn't go ahead and order before I did some more checking. I've always been happy with my Maytag but it was a whole lot simplier than the computer brain things they have now. Decisions, decisions!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
2tiredmom

Diana,
My washer (whirlpool) went out 3 weeks ago. It was the 2nd time. First time got it fixed. 2nd time it was going to cost us the same amount for a new one. So I went out and bought a maytag. Ican't believe the difference. My other washer was only 5 years old. But then I use them everyday too.
We had a dryer once that kept eating heating elements. They weren't that expensive maybe 15 to 20 bucks a pop. But if finally died too.
I've heard alot of stories on the front loads. Some one told me they can mold.
Good luck hope you get one that fits your needs.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

I've had the Whirlpool Duet front loaders for about 3 years now, and I love them. LG makes a really good front loader, too. The newer ones have a steam cycle for freshening and wrinkle removing that sounds interesting. If I were buying again, I'd have to check those out. I love my Duet's!! I can get lots of clothes in them, and they seem to really get things clean. I have the little drawer unit things under them to get them to a nice height. I've seen people build their own platforms to accomplish the same thing.

Mold does tend to grow on the edge of the door seal, but a little cleaning once in a while takes care of it. One time I had a musty odor coming from the seal and noticed that a sock had gotten under it, and been there for a while. This only happened once and would not consider it a problem with the machines.

There are several other companies making good front loaders now, though. When we bought ours, they were the top rated units by Consumer Reports. I subscribe to CR online and use them when making major purchases.

Good luck with your decision. Getting new appliances can be financially painful, but love to shop for them and enjoy using new machines!! Enjoy and happy hunting!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
HALEY

i had an old set for years, but with my grandmother passing, i got her set of heavy duty whirlpool washer/dryer, they are a new model, i absolutley love them.. i can put comforters in them and rugs.. love them..... my old washer would have been bouncing around the basement if i even put a comforter in it...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Diana, have you decided on a washer and dryer yet? I love getting new appliances...LOL...just hate paying for them. The dirty clothes ought to be piling up by now, so what did ya get?????
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I'm sorry you have to buy a new one Diana. I just wanted to let you know that I have a front loader and I absolutely LOVE it!

I hope you find what you're looking for at a great price.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
teri88

How goes the dryer hunting? Don't you just hate spending money on that kind of stuff? We bought GE last year and I love it! Our old dryer took FOREVER to dry a load of clothes and now with the new one I'm always amazed that the clothes are actually DRY when it turns off!

Of course I'm in shape. Isn't round a shape?
teri88 is offline   Reply With Quote