4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

What do you feed your yorkie, or small breed dog??

I know this isn't YorkieTalk. I don't want to ask this question over there. I want to know what my dear friends on 4WT are feeding their yorkies or small breed dogs. I've been cooking some on our own, and offering it with Diamond kibble on the side. Zoe just doesn't eat the kibble, and I really want to go ahead and transition them to a safe commercial dry kibble. I know there are lots of good ones out there. Haven't heard of any recalls lately.

The vet even suggested we try some Purina products simply because they do all their own milling here in the US. All the ingredients are under their control. Not sure I want to feed Purina.

So what commercial foods are you feeding that your furkids like?
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
katcarasella
KAT'S KRAZY KORNER
Donating Member

Send a message via Yahoo to katcarasella
I feed mine Solid Gold fresh Bison and Salmon kibble? I also give them boiled chicken breast and fresh steamed veggies a few times a week.

Kat
katcarasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Dobie

We feed Canine Caviar Lamb and Rice - we mix in cottage cheese, fish oil, and chopped broccoli and carrots.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I get blasted for this on YT, but I feed mine Science Diet Adult Small Bites and the pregnant females Science Diet Puppy Small Bites. YT people say it's horrible and not to use it, I think they all just jumped on the band wagon and agreeing just to be agreeing so they can bash someone.

My dogs are very healthy, bright clear eyes, good stools, beautiful coats just everything I want my dogs to be. They do get treats and a few veggies as treats sometimes, but not everyday. My Vet has even told me he wished all his patients were as healthy as mine.

As long as they are staying healthy and vibrant, I won't be changing.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Emmsmom

I feed Diesel Chicken Soup. I have fed him Canidae and Innova before. He seems to really like the Chicken Soup and has actually gained half a pound!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Tiramisu

I'm with Janet - nothing but Science Diet Puppy or Adult.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Marilyn

I may try the Science Diet or the Chicken Soup. Haven't tried them before. I tried Innova. In fact all our dogs were on Innova Puppy the first year of Zoe's life. I wasn't going to feed different foods, so they all ate the same thing and seemed to thrive on it. Only problem, Chase got fat, really large. So I tried changing to the Innova adult food and no one would eat it.

We've tried lots of different foods, ordered samples, and it's so hard to find one that they like. I started making our own, with kibble on the side, but what I'm feeding really is not balanced. Too much rice, and I'm looking for something healthy and easy. Chase is a more healthy weight now.

I'm asking y'all and not YT because I know you all love your yorkies and food has been discussed so much over there. I see what happens in the threads.

Our 16 year old pretty healthy rescue dog that ran away last Thanksgiving had eaten Iams the majority of her life, and seemed to thrive on it. I'm just not sure it's made the same way now though. (Iams gets blasted on YT.)

Thank you and if anyone else has any suggestions or wants to share what they are doing, please do so.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
If you don't agree with some of the 'it' people on YT you get blasted. It's a shame when all people are wanting is advice...not lectures. I'm with you Marilyn and would rather talk about my babies here. Maybe Admin. will set aside a special place where we can talk about just our pets.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Marilyn

Dobie, I do have some cottage cheese in the refrigerator. I may try mixing some of the Diamond kibble that I have with the cottage cheese, and a little broccoli and carrots similiar to what you do. I do have some fish oil pills. Guess I could cut a couple of them open and add some of that along with a bit of rice. This may be how I can ease them off so much rice without upsetting their little systems. Sure don't want sick dogs around here. I've cleaned up enough puke and poo after the events of last summer when they all got sick while being boarded. Then I may ease them from the Diamond to Science Diet and phase out the other ingredients.

BTW, when we boarded them at the vet's office for Melissa's wedding, they did beautifully. Cost a fortune. They were in a small run, but guess it was worth it not to have to worry about them getting sick.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
If you don't agree with some of the 'it' people on YT you get blasted. It's a shame when all people are wanting is advice...not lectures. I'm with you Marilyn and would rather talk about my babies here. Maybe Admin. will set aside a special place where we can talk about just our pets.
This is so what I was talking about. It's frustrating to be pounced on because you ask a sincere question.

I love 4WT and all of you!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Emmsmom

I wouldn't feed IAMS only because I hate what they do to the dogs just to test the food. I was shocked by their practices.

Diesel also likes Newman's Own soft food. Plus Paul Newman donates the money to shelters or either rescue groups. I can't remember which one. ALSO... He doesn't get the runs from it either. All of the other soft foods that I tried really did a number on him...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
scrapindee

I can't believe I'm answering a Yorkie question....I usually don't make it over here.

I feed the biewer puppies California Natural Lamb and Rice; I feed the older dogs the low-fat variety.

Lots of new puppy pictures to view.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I feed Reuger Science Diet that's for Sensitive Skin. He has allergies to food or grass or something. He'll get to where he'll just bite and bite at his legs. He does really well on this and his coat is nice and shiny. I know that when there was a lot of talk about the dog food additives I checked a site out and Science Diet wasn't on the list. I was pretty happy about that.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

I feed my labs Canidae All Life Stages and the yorkies eat Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (made by Diamond) or Natural Balance Duck & Potato. I have done TONS and TONS of research on dog foods because one of my yorkies has skin allergies and I had to witness a dear friend's dog be put to sleep at a very young age because of severe (food-induced) skin allergies. I never want one of my dogs to go through what his dog went through. I think these 2 foods are the best on the market with all-natural ingredients, no by-products or artificial preservatives or chemicals. All 4 of my dogs would eat Canidae if one of my yorkies wasn't allergic to chicken. ALL of Canidae's products are made here in the US and all of their ingredients are from the US.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Marty and Madeline eat Candidae ALS. I meant to get them the Lamb & Rice, but accidentally ended up with ALS and they love it so I'm not sure which I'll get when they run out. Marty had Nutro Small Bites his whole life (except when he was a puppy and had Nutro Puppy). I only switched a few months ago. I tried to wean them off the Nutro by mixing the two, but both of them picked out the Nutro and put it on the floor beside their food dish so they could eat the Candidae. It was pretty obvious which one they liked better! LOL
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote