4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Unhappy Hubby in Hospital

Sorry, haven't been on much. Hubby is in hospital. His heart is racing again, and they are trying to slow it down. I'm busy trying to take care of him and his some of his business as well as spend as much time as I can at my work. It would be easier if I worked in the same town where we live. The girls came down yesterday afternoon to visit him and I took them out to dinner. Hopefully he will be out by the weekend. They are trying to get his rate down to a level where he can come home then thin his blood so we can go to Houston in 3 weeks to see a doctor there. A new procdure has been developed that is 80% effective in eliminating this problem so that it will not happen again. Gotta run. Just wanted to check in.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Thanks for letting us know Marilyn why you've been missing! I'll definitely say a prayer for your husband to get better soon and not have this happen any more. Of course, when you have time, I would like to know more about this. What brings it on...etc.

Please keep us informed and know he's in my prayers.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Hi Marilyn, I thought you were away. Sorry to hear about what is going on with your husband. I will say a prayer and hope that the procedure you mentioned will help elimate the problem.. Good luck!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Tell your husband that he'll be in our thoughts and prayers. With everything that's going on don't forget to take care of Marilyn. You don't need both of you in the hospital.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so sorry to hear this - do they have a name for what is causing his heart to beat so fast? or for the new procedure to correct it? I'm a nurse, so I am curious!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Shada

Hope your husband is home soon....

Scary to go thru. My mother was in hospital last year for same thing.
I pray they can regulate his heartbeat very soon. Please keep us updated.. what is the new procedure? I would love to be able to share with my mom.

Prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
[[HUGS]]
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Marilyn

Hi, just checking out the threads real quick. He's still in the hospital. He's down to 100 BPM, so they are making progress. Yaaaaa. What he has is called atrial fribullation (sp?). If it can be controlled with medication, he could live with it for years. There are many people who do, but he does not want to and the doctors don't want him to if there is another option. In the past they have converted him to a normal rhythm using drugs or electric shock.

This time they are trying to just get his beats down and leave him in A-fib so he can go to see the doctors in Houston. For them to map his heart and pinpoint the area where the problem is originating from, he has to be in A-fib. They will go in like they do for angioplasty only they will burn small spots on the heart to kill the nerves causing the fibrullation. If this is successful, he will be "cured" and will no longer need to take coumadin or any other drugs. I don't know the name of the procedure. It's been around for about 10 years, but only recently have they gotten the accuracy down to make it a recommended treatment.

He is very healthy other than being overweight, so he is a good candidate for the procedure. He's experienced A-fib 4 times now. Once in his 20's (triggered by an electric shock), then in his early 40's, last year and now.

Thank you for your prayers. It's always scary when something is going on with the heart. This house is too big for me to rattle around here all by myself. I need him home.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Dobie

Marilyn, so sorry you are going through thig = I'll be thinking of you and your family.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks for the update Marilyn!

My husband had the same thing, atrial fibrillation (a-fib) 3 years ago. They shocked his heart (actually he has an internal defibrillator due to his heart failure, so they just fired his own defibrillator) and it stopped the a-fib. Now he takes medication and it has been completely controlled. But you are right, medication does not work for everyone.

Interestingly, in May my husband developed atrial flutter which is almost the same as a-fib, but the heart rate does not go as high. Unfortunately, atrial flutter does not respond well to medication so he had the exact same procedure that you and your husband are going to Houston for. It is called a Cardiac Ablation. It is usually more successful in atrial flutter because the cells that are misfiring and causing the flutter are in the same pattern or in the same pathway - so all they have to do is burn out that pathway.

In a-fib, it is more difficult to determine (or map) where the cells are misfiring because they are misfiring in a more random pattern than in atrial flutter. You are absolutely correct in that the electrophysiology procedures have gotten much better in the past few years so that they can now better map the misfiring cells and then burn them (kill them) appropriately.

It is a very easy surgery. My husband got to come home in the afternoon after having it in the morning - but we live 10 minutes from the hospital so going from Houston to your hometown, that may not be the case. Also, he will likely have to take coumadin for a little while longer, maybe only 6 weeks, and then it will be stopped. But maybe not in your husband's case.

Sometimes in a-fib, they have to burn out so many cells to get it stopped, that the person has to have a pacemaker (and I can't remember, maybe your hubby already has one???) Anyway, even if he doesn't and he has to have one, that is OK too. It just means he won't be able to go through the metal detector at the airport (or other buildings). My husband says he gets "stripped searched" in lieu of the metal detector.

I hope everything goes well for your husband. Mine has very serious heart failure and he did great with the Cardiac Ablation - so I'm sure your hubby will come through with flying colors. Update us when you can.

Last edited by gja1000; 08-22-2008 at 10:03 AM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Good luck Marilyn, my prayers are with you both!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Thanks for the update Marilyn!

My husband had the same thing, atrial fibrillation (a-fib) 3 years ago. They shocked his heart (actually he has an internal defibrillator due to his heart failure, so they just fired his own defibrillator) and it stopped the a-fib. Now he takes medication and it has been completely controlled. But you are right, medication does not work for everyone.

Interestingly, in May my husband developed atrial flutter which is almost the same as a-fib, but the heart rate does not go as high. Unfortunately, atrial flutter does not respond well to medication so he had the exact same procedure that you and your husband are going to Houston for. It is called a Cardiac Ablation. It is usually more successful in atrial flutter because the cells that are misfiring and causing the flutter are in the same pattern or in the same pathway - so all they have to do is burn out that pathway.

In a-fib, it is more difficult to determine (or map) where the cells are misfiring because they are misfiring in a more random pattern than in atrial flutter. You are absolutely correct in that the electrophysiology procedures have gotten much better in the past few years so that they can now better map the misfiring cells and then burn them (kill them) appropriately.

It is a very easy surgery. My husband got to come home in the afternoon after having it in the morning - but we live 10 minutes from the hospital so going from Houston to your hometown, that may not be the case. Also, he will likely have to take coumadin for a little while longer, maybe only 6 weeks, and then it will be stopped. But maybe not in your husband's case.

Sometimes in a-fib, they have to burn out so many cells to get it stopped, that the person has to have a pacemaker (and I can't remember, maybe your hubby already has one???) Anyway, even if he doesn't and he has to have one, that is OK too. It just means he won't be able to go through the metal detector at the airport (or other buildings). My husband says he gets "stripped searched" in lieu of the metal detector.

I hope everything goes well for your husband. Mine has very serious heart failure and he did great with the Cardiac Ablation - so I'm sure your hubby will come through with flying colors. Update us when you can.
Thank you so much for posting this!!!!! It's wonderful to hear from someone who has been through this. The drugs are still not working to bring his heart rate down. It was running 120 to 130 last night. We're supposed to go to Houston next week for the heart mapping and back later for the procedure. Hubby does not have a pacemaker now. Hopefully he won't need one later.

I just hate to see him going through this. He feels like he's in prison there at the hospital. He's getting lots of company, so that helps keep him distracted. And I'm taking our little yorkie, Zoe up to see him this morning. I had to give them her shot records and carry her up in a carrier, but since she's such a small dog, they are allowing her to visit. Yaaaaaa!!

gja1000, hope your hubby stays healthy for a very, very long time!! You and him will be in my prayers as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Marilyn,
Glad I could help! My husband and I just saw his electrophysiology doctor yesterday and he is very pleased with my husband's progress. In fact, he told him his heart is doing so well now, that he needs to get more exercise!!!

Gary's heart only works at about 30% of what it should, so he is quite limited in what he can do. He had to take early retirement (at age 56) and he has to rest lots and lots. But I was very encouraged by the doctor's words yesterday. This is all to say that since your hubby's heart is much stronger - he should come though this so easy and he will feel so much better after the ablation is completed. We weren't meant to have a heart rate of 120-130 and it really makes you feel crummy. Also, staying in the hospital is really crummy too!!! I hope he gets out soon - yet, with this fast heart rate, it is MUCH better for him to be in the hospital with immediate care should something go amiss.

I also hope your hubby doesn't have to have a pacemaker - fingers/toes/legs crossed that he doesn't have to - but if he does, it is such a non-issue these days. Really the only issue is having the battery replaced every five years, and not being able to go through metal detectors. I'm very comforted that my husband has a pacemaker because I know that his heart rate can't get too low. His also has a defibrillator and sudden cardiac death is a major complication of heart failure (my husband's diagnosis), so I know if that happens, his defibrillator will fire and he will have a better chance of survival.

All this information is to say that modern technology is wonderful. These electrophysiology heart studies began in the early 1970's, when I first became a nurse. I remember our patients going down for these studies. We knew they had to stop patient's hearts and then start them back up, make their hearts go fast and then slow, make hearts beat irregularly, in order to figure out what to do and how to do it. This was hard for us nurses because we knew it was dangerous for the patients. But it had to be done in order to develop the fabulous technology that we have today. And of course, it was only done on the sickest patients for whom all other options had been exhausted. But that is why I don't get upset when they stop my husband's heart once a year, to test whether or not his defibrillator will fire properly. I feel very comforted to have been a part of the very early studies to develop the technology that is now helping my husband - and soon, yours too.

I am extremely confident that it will be very successful with your husband's problem!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Dobie

Marilyn,

Do you mind me asking what type of symptoms he feels? Does it just feel like his heart is racing or does he also feel some other symptoms?
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm sure Marilyn will reply to you also and symptoms can vary from person to person - but in general, people may have these symptoms: racing heart, lightheaded, dizzy, falling (from dizziness), fatigue to extreme tiredness, and like "something is wrong" - or a feeling of dread.

It also makes some people cough - seems silly, I know, but coughing evokes the valsalva maneuver which is the body's own way of correcting the problem. Of course, it doesn't work sometimes, but when this fast heart rate first starts, it makes some people cough which then may change the fast rhythm to a slower one.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

sorry you and your husband are going through this. Hopefully the procedure will help him to feel better and able to enjoy life more.