4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Incredible Pictures of Galveston after Ike

Here are some pics you probably won't see on Fox or CNN.

Jack Wilkins (the photographer of these pictures) son Taylor is the place kicker for Sam Houston State University. Jack was given clearance to photograph in Galveston on Sunday 9/14/2008 following Ike. Some pretty amazing pictures of the power of this storm and Mother Nature.
Here's the link:
http://jackwilkins.smugmug.com/gallery/5973656_S5rmH#372775342_C4do7
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Some great shots! My favorites (and favorite is not the right word) were the ones of the boat up on the second floor balcony and the row of huge trees in a row blown over.

Thanks for posting the link
Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
2tiredmom

Marilyn,

Wow I can't imagine what those people that live there must be going though.
Where I am we just have to worry about floods, and tornados. I'll keep
Texas in my prayers too.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Marilyn

We learned yesterday that one of my bosses who lives at Kemah, TX had 5 feet of water in his home, and it left 3 feet of mud behind. I just cannot imagine. Our Houston office sustained very little damage. There were a couple of roof leaks and two offices got water damage. This bosses office was one of them. There are around 100 people in the Houston office (not all hve their own office though) and his office had to be one of the two affected. He is a really kind person and we all really feel for him right now.

We're beginning to hear a lot of stories of friends of friends who were affected. Some of our friends here have childern and grandchildren who live in the area affected, so lots of folks have house guests for a while until the power is restored.

One lady in our Houston office has water but no power at her home, so she took a cold shower yesterday and went to work letting her hair air dry. She said folks were just going to have to deal with her looking a little scruffy for a while until things return to normal. I'm sure lots of folks are doing hair and makeup at work these days. If they can find gasoline to get to work. We're hearing Houston has very little gasoline. UPS, Federal Express, and the freight lines started running yesterday though, and we've been told they are running on schedule. I just don't see how from everything else that we've heard. Some people who have power at work but none at home are actually glad to get to work and into the air conditioning. It is a little cooler now though the front that pushed the hurricane north brought in a little cooler air.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I learned yesterday that a friend's daughter is a nurse at the UTMB hospital in Galveston. She was required to stay at the hospital during the hurricane. She said it was one of the worst experiences of her young life. She was allowed to leave on Monday as FEMA set up a MASH unit in the hospital. Her condo had water damage, but she was filled up her car with as much as she could and came to Austin to stay with her mom.

Our newspaper is filled with incredible stories of survival and unbelievable tales.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Marilyn

Here's a link to a blog of what happened to Gilchrist, TX. Amazing!! but even more amazing to me that anyone living there would have ever tried to weather the storm in their home. I just don't get it.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...&tstamp=200809
Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It's so heartbreaking to see the pictures and know that this is what people have to come home to. My heart goes out to them.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote