4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Shada

Yorkie owners... help!!!

Long story, many years ago my mother had a 2 1/2 lb. yorkie who was her soul dog. Every few years she speaks about getting another yorkie, but wanted a smaller one like Misha.

Well... a couple weeks ago, we were driving down a road and saw a sign for Havanese puppies. A breed that I have been thinking about being my next dog. So.. in we go for a look. Puppies were adorable! But I still have my old Keller boy who is 17 years old, along with my small lab. The timing wasn't right for me... but then mom noticed a yorkie!!! With puppies!!! In talking with the breeder, he told us that he also has a 11 month old female yorkie that had been sold to a elderly woman who now wasn't able to keep her. He was selling her for this lady. Said she weighed just over 2 lbs. The woman had her since she was 10 weeks old. Recently taken back to breeder. We did not see the dog at that time as she was not at his house.

Fast forward 2 weeks. Breeder called mom. Still had dog.. would she like to come see her? Mom and I went this past Tuesday evening to see the wee one. I really never thought mom would get another dog.

OMG this poor thing is skin and bones!!! Skinniest dog I have ever seen!! I bet she doesn't weigh over 1 1/2 lbs. if that. The breeder was feeding her hard kibble only. With her only water source being one of those water bottles that hang on cage, poor girl could only get a drop at a time. She was in a outside shed in a small wire pen!! Mom and I discussed the 'what if's' but bottom line could not leave her in such a deplorable state. They wanted $1200.00 for her!! Mom offered $800.00 and we got her out of there. She stunk horrible also. Filthy.
They claimed she was housebroke using puppy pads.

Stopped on the way home to mom's, got some canned food for her. She ate like she was starved. Drank water out of a bowl. Very thirsty too.

Two days later, she is eating great, prances like a little princess, appears to be very healthy. Lots of energy. So cute. Happy little girl. Loves everyone! Follows like a shadow!!

Mom is taking her to vet this week for a check-up. I can hardly wait to see her gain some weight. I hate feeling her frail little bones. Seriously, she is nothing but skin and bones. The way she is now eating I am sure she will be gaining much needed weight. Suggestions on best food for a delicate little girl?

The breeder called mom tonight to give her name and number of woman who owned her previously. I had asked him for the information. I told mom to call this woman and find out if she has always been this skinny, her 'life story', her vet records etc. Hopefully mom will call her tomorrow.

As for being pad trained... not good in that area. I am willing to bet that is one of the main reasons she was brought back to be resold.

I know many of you here have yorkies.. any suggestions on how to pad train a older puppy? Small bladders makes small messes, but have to watch her like a hawk. Mom hasn't had puppy experience for a long time and I have a feeling I will end up with this little sweetheart.

This poor girl is 11 months old!!! Tiny... so tiny.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
The only real suggestion I have as far as pad training is to confine her to one room with pads down. When you see she's about to go, get her to a pad and then praise her like crazy when she goes. She should not, it will just screw up the training, have full run of the house until she is trained and then since she is so small, have a pad thoughout so she doesn't have so far to go to get to a pad. When she can not be watched, she needs to be in a crate or small confined area.

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #3
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

WOW i am glad you and your mom found this little girl!!! Please hug her for me.
I agree with Janet on the potty issue, keep practising, she will get it right.
I'm not much help on the food, i only give mine homecooked, but i am sure there are other ladies on here with yorkies that have great tips for you.

Good luck with the little girl, what's her name?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry, but I'm no help when it comes to pad training. Reuger is only trained to go outside.

It certainly sounds like you got her in time. Poor thing! It sounds like your Mom and you will enjoy helping her put on a little weight and filling out. I can't wait for some pictures.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
HALEY

Shada, i sure hope you reported these people.. about the living conditions these dogs are in?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Shada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALEY View Post
Shada, i sure hope you reported these people.. about the living conditions these dogs are in?

Sadly they are within the law. The law states they must have food, water and shelter. She did have the basics. But in her case, she needs more than that.

I spoke to her previous owner tonight. I told her that she had been fed only hard kibble at the breeders. Was very skinny. She said that her vet told her to never give her anything but hard kibble. That she wasn't a good eater. She was horrified to find out we are feeding her canned food! Yes she still has her kibbble, which she does nibble on, (barely) but put a plate of canned food in front of her and she goes to town on it!

Then she told me that she has only been to vet twice in her life. No records as to shots, but claimed she has had all her shots but rabies. Could not give me vets name!!! So I doubt if she has ever been to vet.

Claims she is pad trained. Never had accident in her house. Find that one hard to believe too. She has no idea what the pads are for. We are starting at scratch with the training.

Oh and her name was Blossum. Which she doesn't respond to! Mom is trying to find the perfect name for her, but right now she is just sweetie, angel, little one.. hopefully soon she will have a new name.

So I believe this poor little one was never given the care she needs. Was starved in my eyes. Given food she could not or would not eat.. and they didn't even try to find a food she would eat. Its a miracle she lived at all. You would be shocked to see and feel those frail bones.

Forgot to take my camera to moms tonight. I will get a picture of her soon I promise!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thank goodness you and your Mom found her. You are her angels. Poor little thing!

She'll soon forget and be as happy as can be with all the food, love and spoiling she's sure to get.

I agree with Janet om the training thing. It takes time and patience. Also, lots of hysterical dancing and singing the pee pee pad song and running for treats when she gets it right.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Shada bless you and your mothers heart.. Sooo happy that she found you guys.. Love her to death.. she will grow in no time... I agree with Janet, lots of patience you will get there.. Wonderful to hear happy endings!!! Take photos..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

You have done such a wonderful thing - she will learn, I'm sure of it. We rescued a dog a few weeks ago (a schnauzer) who I don't think had ever been inside a house. He's about a year old and in a few short weeks, he is completely potty trained.

You and your mom are angels, for sure.