4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
2tiredmom

Prescription Drugs.........

I'm so mad right now I could bend steel....................I went to get a prescription
filled. Normally it would cost me $50.00 for a 3 month supply. My insurance went up come the first of the year. Now it's $250.00 for 3 months Plus 20%. So what do people do that don't have insurance. I can't afford that. I guess I'm going to have to get a 3rd job just to pay for my prescriptions. It's not right................
Sorry to vent but just shot me now and put me out of my misery................
Dig a whole and bury me. Heaven only knows I can't afford a funeral either.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow...$250 for 3 months? I know people pay more, but I couldn't afford that either Linda. I hope my insurance doesn't change for awhile....I'd be sunk.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
I know what you are going through. I had to get new ins. for mom on 1/1/09 plus a perscription plan and i have been fighting with them for the last couple of weeks, it was going to cost mom over $2300 to get her meds for 3 months and then they kept coming up with one exscuse after another as to why they would not ship them, had to have prior authorization from Dr., had to authorize charge card, they were suppose to over night them to the NH but it was not going through to their accounting and since it was a Friday it would take another 3-5 days just to ship them over night, i said no way just cancel everything and i would find a new perscription plan. I did everything that i was suppose to, i had a months supply of her meds at the NH when her medicare stopped paying for everything which was on Dec 14th thinking that by Jan 14th she would have the meds from her new plan but we never recieved them, we have been keeping her in meds with either CVS or the NH pharmasy which is more expensive. I hate ins companies but how are people suppose to live without them. I talked to an ins guy today and he gave me a web site to check out it's www.indiana insurance commisoners.com i haven't checked it out yet so don't know what it's about, he also said that if you contact some of the companies like Nexium is very expensive, if you contact the company sometimes you can get the meds much cheaper by going directly through them, only thing is you have to qualify. I am still searching for mom a script plan . I hope you can get some kind of help with your meds.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Linda and Lynne. Sorry to hear this. I am sick of listening to the news it is getting worse and worse out there so depressing. Linda are you buying generic brands? Lately that is what my drs. prescribe so much cheaper and just as effective. I even buy store name over the counter drugs.

Lynne I have heard of elderplan that works with Medicare, but I think its only in NYC area . Check it out see if your area has it or something similar to it.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Linda, that is absolutely ludicrous!!!! Going from $50 to $250 - that is a 500% increase. NO insurance company needs that much more money!!!!! I'd be calling the insurance commissioner or SOMEONE to complain loudly about this company!!!!

That said, is the $250 a new deductible of some sort??? I know my prescription meds are expensive the first time I get them filled in the new year ($150, I think) - but after that first time, they are more reasonable ($50 per 3 mo fill, I think).

My husband's prescription plan just went from $35 for a 3 month supply to $65 for 3 months - BUT the generic brands are FREE for the first four fills so that means, they are free for the year as you get 3 months at a time. I guess it is a way to push for cheaper generic meds. However, my husband has 7 medications that do not have a generic equivalent.

If our country does not do something about health care, we are in BIG trouble!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We don't have any insurance that helps with prescription coverage. I use generics and it's also cheaper if you don't use new medicines. If you talk to your doctor they can prescribe some meds t hat have been out for awhile and do just as good of a job. Also, Wal-mart has a list of prescriptions that you can get for $4-$10. You might want to check into that. Sometimes if you buy a 3 month supply you'll get a discount taken off. That's a real bummer!! Good luck.

I was on a medicine last year where the manufacturing company allowed me a discount for using it. I saved $50 a month just on this one prescription but when the year was over because I didn't have prescription help on my insurance I had to go back and pay the regular price. I didn't understand the reason for that one.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
2tiredmom

There's the qlitch. I'm allergic to the other things he's tried me on. This is the only one so far that has worked. And there isn't a generic for this drug. It's to new. So I called today and told them I wasn't taking it anymore. I go back to dr
next week. They will have to give me samples at least thats what the nurse said they could do. Will have to wait and see. Thanks for all your replies ladies.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
HALEY

i know what you mean, since this recession, my company went to a cheaper plan, everything went up, office visits, co-pays its crazy, and the sad thing is that there still taking the same amount of money out of my pays for this!!!!! its not fair,, but thank God i still have a job, i keep saying that...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It is disgraceful that our country's health plans, and lack of them, are in such a state. I do not like socialized anything, but I do think we must go with some kind of socialized medicine here.

People die because they can't afford their meds or to go to a doctor!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote