4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Tiramisu

Grand Champion Goat

Christian's goat won 1st in Breed and Grand Champion at her 4H/FFA Fair, last night. She got a huge trophy, the banner ribbon, and a very nice belt buckle. She shows her pigs tonight.

Delaney's rabbits got a 6th place ribbon on Monday.

Yes, I am the extremely proud Ma!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandchampion.JPG (7.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Tell Christian "Congratulations" from me!! That's quite an accomplishment!!!! And Delaney too!!! You have every right to be proud of your grandchildren!!!

Tell Christian that I wish her luck this evening with her pigs!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Tiramisu

Thanks Diana!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Congratulations!!!! 4-H is such a wonderful program.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, what a nice trophy, and that buckle is bigger than her!!! How fantastic that she is able to do this!!!! Hope the other competitions go as well!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh that is sooo cool! Most kids don't know a thing about farm animals! I love hearing this story!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Tiramisu

Christian's pig (SpiderPig) won 3rd place in Middle Weight and Delaney's (BonBon) won 7th place in Light Weight. The auction is tomorrow. With the economy being down, they won't sell for as much this year, but the experience is worth lots.

I think BonBon will be on the smoker for our Barn Bash next month! I'll probably buy her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c goat.jpg (156.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg C & Spidey.jpg (150.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg D & BonBon.jpg (192.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It looks like the girls did very well on their 4H projects!! I'm sure that they've learned a lot from raising these animals. We've never been involved with 4H but I have neices and nephews that are. We don't raise any animals on our farm. No cows, no chickens, no pigs. Just dogs and a cat!!!

Poor Bon Bon!!! Headed for the smoker!! Yum!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Tiramisu

I was a little surprised that these two got into 4H. They had done dance and cheer, but love being out camping, riding horses, and "country" stuff. I thought they were "city" girls, but they must have more of my blood in them than I thought.

Delaney loves softball and always picks it as her favorite thing to do. Christian made the Jr High Cheerleading Team for next school year picks that as her favorite thing to do.

They are very dedicated to whatever they do, especially in church pagents and activities.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

They are beautiful girls Sandy. I love 4H. My grandkids go. They're joining a new group soon. I don't know what their focus will be.

You should be very proud!

By the way, I really love your avatar picture. You are very lovely.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Tiramisu

Let's see, Christian's goat sold for $1600 and her pig sold for $1000. Delaney's pig sold for $400. Delaney's rabbits sold for $500 and Andrew's sold for $550.

Most sales were up a couple hundred dollars from last year. Since Lyondell is in bankruptcy, they weren't at the sale for the first time in forever. Arco Chemical didn't come and Wells Fargo didn't come. For the most part, you couldn't tell that the economy is bad, showing that we'll still do whatever it takes for our kids!

Every kid in Andrew's Special Ed class enters a plant (store bought). Last year, Andrew's won Reserve Champion and sold for $700. This year, his plant won Grand Champion and sold for $900. The plant money goes to his class to pay for their field trips and activities.

Judy, THANKS for the picture comment.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
Let's see, Christian's goat sold for $1600 and her pig sold for $1000. Delaney's pig sold for $400. Delaney's rabbits sold for $500 and Andrew's sold for $550.

Most sales were up a couple hundred dollars from last year. Since Lyondell is in bankruptcy, they weren't at the sale for the first time in forever. Arco Chemical didn't come and Wells Fargo didn't come. For the most part, you couldn't tell that the economy is bad, showing that we'll still do whatever it takes for our kids!

Every kid in Andrew's Special Ed class enters a plant (store bought). Last year, Andrew's won Reserve Champion and sold for $700. This year, his plant won Grand Champion and sold for $900. The plant money goes to his class to pay for their field trips and activities.

Judy, THANKS for the picture comment.
Wahoo!!! The kids must feel great! That is a lot of money. Who buys the animals? You mention big corporate names, so I'm wondering if they donate.

Weird 4H story - One of the moms of my grandchildren's' old 4H club was in a terrible car accident. She is doing extremely well, even though she lost one leg. However, she is so lucky to be alive. I met her, and she has a wonderful attitude. She really thought she was going to die and never see her children again. Jessie got the moms in the 4H club to have a bake sale, working with the 4H leader. The leader collected $300 sometime in January, and was supposed to have the 4H group go visit her, take the money, a card, and make a big fuss. The mom who was in the accident confided in Jessie that she really wasn't up to a fuss. She prefers to keep the whole thing low key.

Jessie keeps trying to get the leader to call her back or to email her because she never got the money over to the mom who was injured!!!! I think Jessie should just forget about it since it is such a small community. The mom knows about it, and so do several other people. Jessie isn't ready to let it go yet, but I can hear my words beginning to come out of her mouth already, so I kind of expect her to take my advice. (She will never admit that she is taking my advice - she just makes it her own idea, out of the blue).

People are so strange!!! I wonder if the leader spent it and has to gather it together again, or she is ??????

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
Tiramisu

A security agency, the Rotary Club, a western wear store, and a couple of banks bought several animals. The biggest buyers were family groups!

I'm with you. Jessie should tell the leader to pay up!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #14
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Sandy, so nice to see your grandkids doing so well, and so involved. 4H is such a good program!!! Congratulations!!!

How will Delaney feel at the pig roast with Bonbon as the main course??

I grew up around calves and chickens that we ate, but I never knew when I was actually eating one of my pets. They got mixed in and one drawn out so that I never knew. This is totally different. She must be a tough young lady!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #15
Tiramisu

Marilyn, BonBon went on somebody else's plate! Harold just didn't want to mess with butchering a hog in our backyard and Jeff doesn't have time right now. We'll just buy one already processed, from Harris County Farms, like we did last year.