4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > My Pictures & Videos!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Garden in May

Here are a few pix of my garden in May - it has really grown after having some rain this past week!

1. banana pepper
2. jalapeno pepper
3. bell pepper
4. beefsteak tomatoes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00718.jpg (57.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00717.jpg (78.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00716.jpg (57.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00714.jpg (176.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

A few more

1. porter tomatoes
2. grape tomatoes
3. tiny summer squash
4. side view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00713.jpg (138.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00711.jpg (55.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00712.jpg (159.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00719.jpg (88.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

What a beautiful garden you have.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle you have some great veggies there. What a beautiful garden.

I wanted to have a garden this year, but I'm kind of glad I didn't. With Ricky's prom, graduation...etc....I just wouldn't have much time this month to care for it.

Yours looks wonderful!!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

It looks great! I wish I had a good place to plant a garden. I love homegrown tomatoes!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
It looks great! I wish I had a good place to plant a garden. I love homegrown tomatoes!

Angie, you can have a square foot garden almost anywhere - even on an apartment patio. http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Maybe sometime in the future you will have one - I had gardens when I was growing up and off and on since then - we had a little extra money this year, so I spent some of it having this small raised bed put in my backyard. Prior to my hubby getting sick, he/we could have done it, but those times are past. When he was able to do it, we just didn't take the time. I'm so glad we did, it is a lot of fun. When I get home, I say to Rex & Rowdy, "Let's go check the tomatoes" and they are out the doggie door before I can take two steps!

My daughter has a garden about the same size as mine and we planted the same things, so we are having a race! LOL! I'll win some things, and she'll win some others, so it will be win-win for both of us. LOL!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Love your veggie garden, it's beautiful!!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gayle, it is growing so fast! I just went to the webpage, which looks really interesting.

I'm not so sure I could do this. I found out from my cleaning woman yesterday that we really can't put our plants out until Memorial Day because we can still get overnight frosts. I'm also a bit afraid of attracting animals onto my deck. There is a bear in the woods behind to dog's groomer, Wendy's house. Bears don't generally come this far down, but they are something to be aware of. People keep telling me to be sure to take the birdfeeder inside at night.

And now, with this porcupine nearby, I'm not sure about how to deal with the wildlife yet.

Enough about me! YOUR GARDEN IS GORGEOUS!!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I can't believe how much your garden has grown!!! Soon you'll be enjoying the "fruits of your labor"!!!

Glen's been putting in a garden and the kids have been helping him. So far they've planted tomatoes (about 25-30!! Way too much!!), spinach (which hasn't come up), potatoes, green peppers, onions, and we have a lot more to go in. He planted some sweet corn in one of our fields and we've been having asparagus (it comes up every year once you get it started). So it looks like we're going to have a big garden anyway! The kids are all worried about the economy and are offering to help in the garden so it's going to be a family project!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana! That is just GREAT! There's nothing like growing your own food! Your garden sounds like the ones we had when I was growing up on our farm! So wonderful!

Judy, I definitely would not want to have fresh vegetables on my deck with all that wildlife. I think vegetables would definitely draw in critters I would not want out there. In our town, we have a community garden - individuals have their own little plot and plant whatever they want. That sounds like something that would suit you.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, your garden looks great. My pot plants don't look nearly as well. I'll take pics and post as soon as my computer is back. Right now, I don't have a computer that will download from my camera or accept and SD card, so hopefully sometime this week. I'm going to have to put in a garden like yours to serously have some vegetables.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Gayle, your garden looks great. My pot plants don't look nearly as well. I'll take pics and post as soon as my computer is back. Right now, I don't have a computer that will download from my camera or accept and SD card, so hopefully sometime this week. I'm going to have to put in a garden like yours to serously have some vegetables.
Marilyn, I was wondering how your potted garden was coming along. You were way behind me - so I wouldn't expect yours to be nearly as big by now. By all means, do put in a raised bed garden like I did. They are so nice! NO WEEDS! Just have your hubby (or contractor) build it with landscape timbers (or whatever). Then buy some good garden soil at a nursery - we had the workers haul it to our backyard in a wheelbarrow and shovel it in. It really needs to be about 9-10 inches deep, tomatoes have long roots! Don't make it over 4 feet wide and then make it as long as you want it. That way you can reach to the middle without straining your back. If you make it any wider than 4 feet - then it is not as comfortable reaching to the middle. Also, the higher you make it, the less stooping over you have to do. I sit on my "tractor" (as my hubby calls it), but higher is better! The time to plant for fall is July - so it's not too late to get that raised bed garden done!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #13
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, I looked at my garden again last night. I've been making sure the moisture is right, and it has plenty of sun. Been watering and spritzing with the liquid seaweed. I think I may have given it too much fertilizer. Using a 50/50 mix of compost and potting soil may have been too much. It looks like my plants are burning up. The squash plants especially. My eggplant is about a foot tall and has a tiny purple eggplant already. The squash are blooming but the leaves are almost burned up. The leaves on the tomato plants are turning yellow at the bottom and dying. The tomato plants haven't grown very much at all. My basil was doing good, but it's beginning to turn yellow, too. The only thing that looks good is the rosemary. Not sure what to do now.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm thinking that the soil may have been too rich. Have you been using seaweed only once per week? That's all that is needed. Also, I heard on the gardening show that the rain we have had, while wonderful for gardens, causes some temporary problems, such as yellowing leaves and the like. All my little squash turned brown and fell off - the blooms fell off too and that is the result (or so the gardening guru said) of being too wet for too long. He said it would reverse as the rain stopped and we went back to a wet to dry watering pattern.

Indeed, my squash have set on and I have little yellow buggers getting bigger every day.

One more thing, the things you have planted need a wet to dry watering cycle. Water, let them dry out and water again only when the soil is completely dry - but do not let the vegetation droop. Do not keep them wet all the time. For me, that is about every other day, so far. In the heat of the summer, I will probably need to water every morning, because by evening it will be completely dried out.

I would use potting soil only - and use a good organic potting soil. Most potting soil has stuff in it to promote growth, so if you added more compost, then that is likely why the leaves look burned.

Good luck, gardening is an art, I think.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, your garden is beautiful! We can't start planting anything here yet. Gardens usually go in at the end of May or start of June. I think I will be putting tomatoes in my planters in the next couple of weeks and bringing them inside overnight.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote