4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Unhappy Expensive month

Since I began getting Social Security, I have been shopping online and having a real good time! I still need quite a bit for the house, and have been enjoying shopping for the kids a lot. I have also been doing my usual stuff, like getting my hair done every week, my mani/pedis, the cleaning woman, and not really scrimping on food, etc. and feeding the dogs very healthy raw food.

This month, I have had to tighten my belt. My car needed work, and needs new rotors now. My hot water heater cost me $236 for repairs. I have to get new flooring for downstairs. This dark laminate is just ridiculous. It never looks clean for more than 15 minutes after the cleaning woman does it. I bought the kids good bookbags, from LL Bean. I also gave Jess and Steve $500 when they got the new dogs. They also owe me $200 or $300, and collecting money from my adult children is not something I want to put much energy into, although Steve will make good on it at some point. He was hesitant to take the $500 because my water heater wasn't working right, but I told him I was okay financially at the moment, so take it while I have it!

I've also begun to keep the social security checks in savings, so that I have enough to start looking for a car before long. Mine is a 1997 Celica, and I think its time has just about come.

I am not happy! I have to change my priorities! I HATE it when real life catches up with you after a nice period of not having to worry about money.

I know I should be (and I am) grateful that I have enough to pay for what I need, but I have more than paid my dues as far as having no money and struggling.

I was just having such a good time

Old priorities:
Beautiful bedding, art work, vases, knick-knacks, antiques
Stuff for the kids
Some new tops, and jeans, and shoes, and boots, and a newblack pocketbook

New priorities:
Water heater (done)
Car repairs
Car inspection
Pray that car passes inspection OR fix car to pass inspection
Floor
Pray that nothing major comes up too soon

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

OH Judy! I can soooo relate. When Gary became disabled, we tightened our belts considerably as his income (disability and medical retirement) was suddenly about 1/2 of what his former income was. We try to travel in the summer so he can go and do things while he is still able. And I usually buy him anything (within reason) that he wants - again, so he can have it while he is still able to enjoy it. Sometimes we spend tooooo much though. Then the unexpected happens. This summer we spent $6000 on getting part of the rotten siding replaced on our house and $1800 on getting the whole outside of the house painted. WHEW! That was in addition to the two trips we took over the summer. Our bank account is beginning to look pretty pitiful and I too, am worried about something else major unexpectedly coming up.

Also, we are taking the week long cruise to the caribbean the first week in Nov. It is already paid for and we won't be doing anything extravagant on the trip - but just the odds and ends of extra food/drinks/trinkets to bring home - will be more than I want to spend, I just know.

I don't want to be rich at all - I just want to be able to do a few things without worrying about every penny - but I guess that will never happen!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I know what you're feeling. After we were first married...we both had really good jobs and pretty much did what we wanted. Now it sucks totally!!! I've said it before, I just never thought I'd be scrimping and saving at my age. Thought it would be easier....boy was I wrong.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I think you're smart to save back up for an emergency. But I also think you should get yourself at least a new black purse
Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

"I don't want to be rich at all - I just want to be able to do a few things without worrying about every penny - but I guess that will never happen!"

Exactly, Gayle!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It always seems that right about the time you start really enjoying life that something happens to bring us back to reality. Hopefully, everything that you have to pay on this month won't be as expensive as you think it might be and you'll have some wonderful surprises!!

Betsi.....Judy would never carry a black purse!!! She'd have a red or very colorful one!!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

If Judy did have a black purse, it would be exotic somehow!!! Judy so hope that you do have some nice financial surprises!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Judy I agree with Betsi get that black pocketbook you want and your on the right track by saving..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Excuse me ladies....it was on her list of the things she wanted, LOL!!!! I was just trying to look out for her because I just HATE for anybody to go without a new purse
Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Me too, Betsi!!! I LOVE purses - even more than shoes. My purse has to be EXACTLY the right one.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
Excuse me ladies....it was on her list of the things she wanted, LOL!!!! I was just trying to look out for her because I just HATE for anybody to go without a new purse
Sorry, Betsi, we didn't catch that!!! Yes, this is one old priority item that you should still try to fit into the budget.

Know what you mean about not wanting to be rich. Me neither!! Too much money carries too much responsibility and too many worries about investments. Just enough to be comfortable and not stress over ordinary bills with just enough left over for some new jeans and a new purse now and then with some savings in the bank as a buffer is exactly the right amount.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Well....I'd like to be rich.....at least for 6 months. Just long enough to get what I need (and maybe a few things I want), pay it all off and then be able to keep normal bills paid.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I can't believe I haven't had time to come here for so many days!!!

But...the car passed inspection

Now it's only the floor, and I will need another car sometime before next summer.
I have to save up, but I don't know how much yet. I don't know what I want. It is going to be a used car for sure though. I only had one new car, and my father bought me that. I prefer an older car because there is no collision insurance necessary, I don't freak out about the first ding/dent, can park it anywhere, and don't worry that it will be stolen.

You know I will get that black bag!!! And, you are right Diana....I do use a red patent leather shoulder bag in the winter. I need a black one too though.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Judy, a few years ago a friend of mine researched the best used cars - and found that Acura's were the best. I don't know if that is still true or not, but I'm sure there is a process to find out the best ones now. I bet you know it too!! I just hate to buy cars!!! I really dislike the whole sales process.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I usually get the Consumers Digest used cars book. I decide how much I want to spend, and then look up their recommendations for that amount. This system has worked well for me.

I am used to looking for a sports car with a standard transmission. Now, I don't know what I want to get. I'm thinking of a (very) small SUV with 4 wheel drive. I would love a stick shift, but they are not easy to find anymore.

I had a mechanic in Brooklyn who would run potential cars through a diagnostic
test for me, and that also worked out very well. I have a decent mechanic up here. He doesn't have the diagnostic machine, but I think I can count on him.