4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

What do you use?

Jaci and Glen have been complaining about certain areas of the house smelling like pee. Jazzi isn't housebroken and I know that she has her favorite spots to potty. I try to keep an eye on her but she's very quick. Lately, I've been keeping her tied up in the kitchen when I'm not watching her.

Part of my problem is that when Jazzi goes Reuger goes over and marks on top of it. He's been housebroken for years so I've been pretty upset at him over this, but realize it's just a dog reaction.

We have the windows open because it's been so nice but it's also been humid which has really brought the smell out. Yuck!! So yesterday I spent the whole day shampooing the living room and hallway. I mean really, really good with a carpet cleaner shampoo for dogs. This morning I went into the living room and it still smells. I think that I'm going to have to shampoo the couch too.

Does anyone have any ideas on something that would help? I need something to neutralize the smell.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm sorry, I'm no help! We ripped out the carpets and put down wood, tile and then stained the concrete in our new addition, before we got Rex & Rowdy and I am so glad we did because my little Rowdy just will not stop "sprinkling" in the house. It's not much, but I do find the "drops" in certain places. There is no smell, because he doesn't "hit" any cloth surface.

I've always been under the impression that nothing would get the ammonia oder out of carpets (the underneath pad really), but I could be completely wrong. I bet there is some good advice on YT.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

That is a hard question! My kids are great about going outside, But I have had dogs that didn't. Once the smell is there, it's SO hard to get rid of...and on humid or rainy days...YUCKO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Tiramisu

Can't help either - my doggies aren't allowed on my carpet, in bedrooms only. I do remember that my Mom used something years ago that made the smell worse!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Sorry, no help. We just steam clean a lot and replace the affected carpet every 5 years or so. There is a Fabreez specifically for pet odors that does help. We us it after steam cleaning.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
DianaB

Thanks everyone. I looked it up on-line and someone mentioned diluted vinegar to neutralize the amonia in the urine. I think that I'll try that. The worse that can happen is my house will smell like a jar of pickles!!!! I'm not going to do it quite yet because I'm trying to get done painting.........still!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You have to pour the vinegar on the carpet so it will soak through to the padding for it to work. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth having them in the house. I love my dogs so much, but the accidents are annoying.

There is usually not that much pee mistakes, but I wish they would poo on the paper or outside. I'm just so tired of it.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
You have to pour the vinegar on the carpet so it will soak through to the padding for it to work. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth having them in the house. I love my dogs so much, but the accidents are annoying.

There is usually not that much pee mistakes, but I wish they would poo on the paper or outside. I'm just so tired of it.
LOL Janet!!! Mine NEVER poo in the house, but I wish Rowdy would pee outside, everytime!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Sorry I Diana I can't be of help either. Gucci uses pads when she is inside and I have ceramic flooring and hardwood floors through. She goes outside mostly. But I have read that vinegar gets the smell out so they do not go back to that spot... Good luck!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have used vinegar and it does work to make it stop smelling TO US, but it doesn't get rid of the pheremones which the dog can still sense and make them want to keep going in the same area. I know a lot of people on YT use Nature's Miracle, but I haven't tried it yet! I did use something called Get Serious (http://www.getseriousproducts.com/index.swf) and it seemed to work pretty well. I also have invested in a light that shows the pee spots, because sometimes you can miss them if they've been there and dried for too long!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
I also have invested in a light that shows the pee spots, because sometimes you can miss them if they've been there and dried for too long!
Lindsay, I have heard that people who invested in those lights looked like this -> when they turned on the light and saw all the pee spots they didn't know existed! LOL!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Haha! That was my face in my old place the night I bought that light! I knew Layla had a couple of pee spots on the area rug under the kitchen table. Turned out to be a couple HUNDRED! At least that's what it looked like! I scrubbed the heck out of that rug, left it over the fence outside to dry and air out, and never put it back down!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
DianaB

That's a good idea, Lindsey. As fustrated as I've been though I might kill a couple of dogs though!! I could keep a closer eye on keeping things cleaned though. I'm going to look into that!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #14
highlans

My Yorkie is in doggie heaven now but when we first got him it was summer so the doors were open all the time, we were really lucky that after a couple of accidents he always went out side, once winter came buy accident one day he followed the cat out the cat flap and from then on he used to use the cat flap.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I used Odoban on the rugs in Brooklyn. You can get it online, or Costco used to have it. They still might.

The truth is though, that nothing helped. I called several professional rug cleaners
who advertised that they get rid of pet odors from carpeting. A couple were honest with me, and told me that there is nothing that will get rid of the smell to the dogs' noses, and that they will continue going back to those spots. It seems that it gets through the rug to the padding, and then to the flooring below. If that's wood, it can smell too.

When I moved up here, I got laminate. It cleans up beautifully! (Except my color, which shows streaks, but that's a whole different story). My feeling is that carpeting and dogs just don't go together.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote