4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Turkey Soup

As mentioned in another thread, I made a turkey today so I got this recipe from my daughter for turkey soup. I haven't made it yet, but I'll come back and let you know how it turns out.

Turkey soup

-turkey carcass (if you don't have one, you can use 2 cups of cooked turkey)
--8 cups water (to make broth. if you don't have a carcass, use 8 cups chicken broth)
--1 chicken bouillon cube (only if you are using the carcass to make broth. Don't use if you're using broth.)
--2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
--1 yellow onion, chopped
--1 cup chopped celery
--1 cup chopped carrots
--1 tsp sage
--2 T balsamic vinegar
--2 cups spinach leaves (Kalyn used cabbage, but cabbage reminds me either of engorgement or the cabbage soup diet)

Put a turkey carcass into a crockpot, and cover with 8 cups of water. If you need to break the bones down to fit in your crock, do so.

Add any vegetables to season the water, if you’d like, e.g., onion, celery, or anything else you'd like to season the broth. The more meat and skin left on the bones, the more flavorful the broth.

Cover and cook on low overnight. Strain the broth into a big bowl, then dump it back into the crockpot.

Pick off the meat, and add it to the broth.

Chop up the vegetables (not the spinach), and add to the pot. Dump in the wild rice. Add the sage, bouillon cube, and balsamic vinegar. Stir.

Add two heaping handfuls of baby spinach to the pot. It will look like a lot, but will shrivel down nicely while cooking.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-6. The soup is done when the vegetables have reached desired tenderness. There is a lot of volume here; this is a good candidate for a day when you are out of the house for a long time. No need to worry about it over-cooking.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Yummmmm.........

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Nobody makes turkey soup. This sounds yummy, and makes good use of the leftover carcass.

When I gave birth to Jessie, my mother got me a baby nurse for the first couple of weeks. (She brought me up to be a princess!) She made a turkey, then turkey salad and turkey soup. That woman knew how to make the most of food, and it was delicious!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

That does sound good!! I had leftover ham instead of turkey, so I made ham and bean soup. It was really good!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
paula1961

That soup sounds delicious Gayle! And Betsi I bet the ham and bean soup was great too! Will have to try these
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The soup is in the crockpot. I cooked the carcass last night and I'm going to cook the soup all night tonight, because I don't have time to put it on in the morning (or I should say I don't want to get up early enough to put it on ). I'll let you know how it tastes!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

OK, the turkey soup was good, but not as good as the lady in the recipe described. I don't know, it was just missing something and I'm not sure what! Oh, it was good, just not as good as I was expecting.