4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Olympics

Has anyone been watching?

These are the first I've really been into since Salt Lake City in 2002 (I was in high school... I had time to watch tv lol!). I loved the opening ceremony this year! It really made me proud of my country. Well, except the little technical difficulty with the big torch inside! The final torchbearer was a big mystery but I had a feeling it would be Gretzky!

Before this year, Canada has never won gold at home. We won our first gold in men's moguls on the weekend Hopefully it won't be the only one.

We're hoping we can find a place showing the hockey games in Mexico next week! 12 of us are going down and I think every one of us is bringing a jersey in support of our team

So what do you think of the Olympics? What are your favorite events to watch?

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsay! I love the olympics and I thought the opening ceremony was one of the most beautiful I had ever seen. The white was mystical. The light show was out of this world. I loved the whales and the doves and so many other things too! Of course, I LOVED the snow, since we don't have any! LOL!!! The whole opening ceremony had me transfixed!

I watch the olympics every night. I love the skiing, skating, snowboarding and just about everything about the winter olympics.

I was so glad that a Canadian won a gold on Canadian soil! That made me very happy as I'm sure it did you too!

I think Canada is doing a wonderful job this year - I love Vancouver and have many fond memories of that city, so I'm really enjoying watching!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

A lot of people are loving the Olympics this year! Enjoy!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

We won another gold today! Woohoo!

Right now we're switching channels between men's hockey and men's figure skating. The women's hockey team is doing great, but the men are playing terribly tonight It's still 0-0 and we're playing Norway!

I feel bad for Vancouver because this is the warmest winter they've had in over 100 years! The media up here is reporting how upset a lot of other countries are about coming to a winter olympics in a city with no snow... they're having to bring in loads of snow from other areas.

I'm glad you enjoyed the opening ceremony Gayle I like how they showed things from all parts of Canada. The golden fields of wheat were my area

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
. The women's hockey team is doing great, but the men are playing terribly tonight It's still 0-0 and we're playing Norway!
Phew! 6-0 halfway through the third period. THAT's more like it!
Scratch that! 7-0!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
We won another gold today! Woohoo!
That's great! What was it in? I've not been able to watch any olympic coverage today.

Quote:
I feel bad for Vancouver because this is the warmest winter they've had in over 100 years! The media up here is reporting how upset a lot of other countries are about coming to a winter olympics in a city with no snow... they're having to bring in loads of snow from other areas.
You know, that's just the way it goes! Some people are having the coldest winter in 100 years and Vancouver just the opposite. It all looks just great though!!!

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoyed the opening ceremony Gayle I like how they showed things from all parts of Canada. The golden fields of wheat were my area
I knew that Lindsay! I was thinking about you when I saw the wheat! I'm from flat wheat country too, in Oklahoma!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
That's great! What was it in? I've not been able to watch any olympic coverage today.
It was in women's snowboard cross. Maelle Ricker had a huge lead for the whole run. So we now have Canada's first man AND first woman to win gold at home! What a great accomplishment for both of them!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
It was in women's snowboard cross. Maelle Ricker had a huge lead for the whole run. So we now have Canada's first man AND first woman to win gold at home! What a great accomplishment for both of them!

That's just great! You are right, it is a great accomplishment for both Canadian women and men! How did the hockey game turn out?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

8-0 final score

Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh WOW Lindsay!!! That was a rout! I'll root for Canada - unless they play the U.S., of course!

GO CANADA!!!

Keep me posted on metals and events!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Lol thanks Gayle! The women's team beat Slovakia 18-0, and beat Switzerland 10-1. On the USA side, the women beat China 12-1, and beat Russia 13-0. The men beat Switzerland 3-1. I bet on the women's side it will be a Canada-USA final For the men, I think it's a toss-up between USA, Canada, and Russia.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
I bet on the women's side it will be a Canada-USA final For the men, I think it's a toss-up between USA, Canada, and Russia.

Uh Oh! We may have to get on our boxing gloves, if the U.S. and Canada go head to head!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
paula1961

When is Lindsey coming back? I don't think she mentioned how long she would be gone. Hope she's having a great time and the weather is good!!

Miss ya Lindsey
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey is home now.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Sorry I haven't been able to check back yet Had a late night, 113 new emails, parents in town for the rest of the weekend... hectic!

I'm glad to report I was able to watch the women's Canada vs USA game on the airplane home last night, and the whole entire plane erupted in cheers when we got the gold!

The men won their game last night, so the gold medal game against the USA will be on Sunday. To be quite honest, I don't think we stand a chance