4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Dr. Phil and Robin

Do any of you watch Dr. Phil regularly? I watch or at least have him on most days while I'm on the computer. I really like his advice...most of the time.. and I like his wife Robin too. The only thing about Robin, when she is on the show and talking, she sounds like every word that comes out of her mouth is a script. I just wonder if she really talks like that or she is actually reading what she says.

Anyway...I'm a Dr. Phil fan and just wondered if anyone else is.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

I am a Dr. Phil fan, too. I like the advice he gives and I really do use some of his advice in my own life. However, sometimes I think that Dr. Phil can be very cocky. Did you see the episodes he did a while back about weight loss? He was on there dogging the rest of his family! And, a lot of the time I think his advice is common sense. I mean, I could tell people most of the things that he advises simply because it is common sense. Also, I really don't know what to think about Robin and their marriage. Do you think their marriage is really as good as they make it out to be? Do you think Robin is somewhat of a pushover? I mean, Dr. Phil seems very overbearing. How could their marriage be that perfect unless Robin was somewhat of a pushover? Did you know that Dr. Phil's son married a playboy bunny? I sometimes wonder what Dr. Phil would say to someone he is counseling if that happened to them instead of his own son? Would he still support it? I'm definately not one to judge, but I just don't think that anyone's marriage can be that "perfect," if you know what I mean. If it IS that perfect, then that is FANTASTIC! There needs to be more "perfect" marriages in this world.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC12345678
I am a Dr. Phil fan, too. I like the advice he gives and I really do use some of his advice in my own life. However, sometimes I think that Dr. Phil can be very cocky. Did you see the episodes he did a while back about weight loss? He was on there dogging the rest of his family! And, a lot of the time I think his advice is common sense. I mean, I could tell people most of the things that he advises simply because it is common sense. Also, I really don't know what to think about Robin and their marriage. Do you think their marriage is really as good as they make it out to be? Do you think Robin is somewhat of a pushover? I mean, Dr. Phil seems very overbearing. How could their marriage be that perfect unless Robin was somewhat of a pushover? Did you know that Dr. Phil's son married a playboy bunny? I sometimes wonder what Dr. Phil would say to someone he is counseling if that happened to them instead of his own son? Would he still support it? I'm definately not one to judge, but I just don't think that anyone's marriage can be that "perfect," if you know what I mean. If it IS that perfect, then that is FANTASTIC! There needs to be more "perfect" marriages in this world.

You're right, most of his advice, as far as I'm concerned is common sense. But that is a lot of what's wrong nowadays. People just don't use common sense!

I'm not sure what to think of their marriage. She sure talks like she doesn't take crap from him. She even said that when she was ready to get married she told him and he said he wasn't ready yet...so she told him "goodbye." He finally came around. That took guts on her part. I also heard quite a while back that he had an affair in the first part of their marriage. Now whether it's true or not, I don't know.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
You're right, most of his advice, as far as I'm concerned is common sense. But that is a lot of what's wrong nowadays. People just don't use common sense!

I'm not sure what to think of their marriage. She sure talks like she doesn't take crap from him. She even said that when she was ready to get married she told him and he said he wasn't ready yet...so she told him "goodbye." He finally came around. That took guts on her part. I also heard quite a while back that he had an affair in the first part of their marriage. Now whether it's true or not, I don't know.

I haven't heard that, but you know what, it would not surprise me one bit. Does he come off to you as quite cocky sometimes?? I just have a huge pet peeve for cocky people. They just urk me. But I do watch his how and do take a lot of his advice to heart. So, I'm just confused on how I really feel about him. I guess I just don't know him well enough to judge him at this point.

And I completely agree wtih you.....many people's problem is that they just don't use common sense!!!!!!!
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
magnolia

I don't watch his show. It comes on here while I'm at work. And to be honest, I've never really "gotten" him - if you can understand that. Not knocking him by any means, I just don't "get" him. As you said Janet, the few times I have seen him (on Oprah before his own show, the couple of times I've seen his show cause I've been home), I really didn't like his attitude....maybe it was just the shows I did see and their topics that didn't appeal to me.

"Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been"....Jimmy Buffett
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC12345678
I haven't heard that, but you know what, it would not surprise me one bit. Does he come off to you as quite cocky sometimes?? I just have a huge pet peeve for cocky people. They just urk me. But I do watch his how and do take a lot of his advice to heart. So, I'm just confused on how I really feel about him. I guess I just don't know him well enough to judge him at this point.

And I completely agree wtih you.....many people's problem is that they just don't use common sense!!!!!!!
I'm of course not sure if it's true or not about the affair. It was in all the tabloids but was hushed up real quick. So I don't know what happened there. Makes ya wonder though, one day you hear/read about it the next day or so, it's old news.
I don't like cocky people either. My brother-in-law is like that. I don't like being around those that think their sh*t don't stink. I sometimes wonder about him. I've caught him on his show acting like he's not quite sure what to say...after acting like he knows all. I like him a lot, but sometimes I get a little perturbed at him.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
SweetCuteness

Send a message via AIM to SweetCuteness
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
I don't watch his show. It comes on here while I'm at work. And to be honest, I've never really "gotten" him - if you can understand that. Not knocking him by any means, I just don't "get" him. As you said Janet, the few times I have seen him (on Oprah before his own show, the couple of times I've seen his show cause I've been home), I really didn't like his attitude....maybe it was just the shows I did see and their topics that didn't appeal to me.
I'm the same way. I've seen him only when he was on Oprah before his own show, but I didn't really care for him. Maybe it was his cockiness as I'm not a fan of that either.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I've never watched his show before so I don't know if I like him or not?? I've heard of him and he seems well respected by many.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 AM   #9
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I take and listen to the good he shares and leave what i can't "use" in my life, if what he's saying doesnt appeal to me, i turn it off.
As stated above, he might come across as "cocky" but i guess if he softend up, people wouldnt "hear" what he was saying. I think he has helped a great lot of people, he is straightforward, which i can appreciate. What he does behind the scenes is what he will have to answer for, though i doubt he would have had an affair, he knows it would damage he's careere.

Last edited by Mandy; 10-25-2006 at 05:45 AM.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Cribal

I'm a huge Dr. Phil fan. I watch it about every day. My radio show goes off at ten and then I turn on my tv here at work and watch Dr. Phil. My tv at work only picks up one station so I really don't have a choice but I love the show.

Do you ever find yourself quoting him when your helping someone out with there problems? I do all the time. I'm the person that all my friends come to; to spill their problems. I'm a great listner and everyone knows that they can tell me anything and I can keep my mouth shut. So their always getting Dr. Phils advice from me. He makes alot of good points.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
Janet

I sometimes do the same thing. I was watching Dr. Phil just a few minutes ago, but President Bush interrupted with a news conference. I'm not in the mood so I muted him! I usually don't do that, but I'm just not wanting to listen to him today.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

If I am home when Dr. Phil is on I watch his show also, yes sometimes he is cocky and most is common sense. as Janet said. As far as his marriage to Robin goes, it seems geniune but who really knows. Do you girls know that he was married once before, I saw his bio on E! He married very young .. Look he may be a professional but no one is perfect and sometimes I feel these drs. don't have all the answers, they just go by past experiences with patiences and how things turn out. I think its all statistics , every induvidual is different as relationships.

Last edited by Gina; 10-26-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #13
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
If I am home when Dr. Phil is on I watch his show also, yes sometimes he is cocky and most is common sense. as Janet said. As far as his marriage to Robin goes, it seems geniune but who really knows. Do you girls know that he was married once before, I saw his bio on E! He married very young .. Look he may be a professional but no one is perfect and sometimes I feel these drs. don't have all the answers, they just go by past experiences with patiences and how things turn out. I think its all statistics , every induvidual is different as relationships.
I didn't know he was married before!!!! Will wonders ever cease!