4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
They call it progress!!

We have a major highway coming our way, it's called The Hoosier Heartland Corridor, it will be a 4 lane express highway, there are segments of it started at several different points from town to town and then there are parts of it that are already open and being used, not sure just how long it will be when finished which won't be for several years yet. Well they are starting the segement right in front of my house which will be an on/off ramp just a little farther down the road from me, they started cutting the trees down, only took them less than 30 min to cut down a batch of them, they still have some to cut, which i will not miss in the least, they are "catalpa tree's, they are very dirty tree's with long beans in the fall and worms in the summer, people travel up and down the road for the worms to fish with. Any ways they are messy trees and it all falls in our yard.
There is a house and cow pasture right across the road from us, no one has lived in the house for the past 15 yrs or so but the cows are left there, the man that owns the house and cows lives in another town close by, he owns more land and has more money than probably he knows of, but he lives like a bum. The state has made him an offer on his land and he has refused to sell it, he's trying to fight it in the court system, but we all know how that will go, he has till a certain date to remove his cows and then they will just take it over I understand how he feels, there was another couple close by that the state bought their 100 some year old farm house that had been handed down to family, as i am sure there are 100's of other families that had to up root and move to make way for this progress, it's sad but you can't beat the system when the state is invovled. With that being said, i kind of wish they would have made us an offer on our house, my hubby lived here with his ex (not in this house, we put a new one in) and alot of his ex relatives live very close, in fact his ex lives right behind us,(don't ask LOL), i don't have alot of attachment to this area and would love to start over some place brand new to both of us.
So it will be a long hot,dusty summer of dump trucks and other equipment, i drove through it all last summer on another segement they were working on and some days it was like a white out, there was so much dust blowing that you could see it for a couple miles away.
I may be wrong on this but i think this highway will connect from Fort Wayne Indiana to Lafayett Indiana which is probably a few hundred miles.
So they call this progress!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sorry it's going to be such an inconvenience and for so long. It not only is inconvenient, but dangerous at times.

You don't think Keith would be interested in moving? The way you worded it here sounded great..lol. Maybe you can talk him into it.

You know I'd give just about anything to move.......alone...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm sure the highway will be really nice when it's finished.......but I'm not sure I'd want a highway in my front yard!!! I know what you mean about the state taking property from people when they put in a new highway. We had a new highway put in a few years ago and I knew some people that had to move because of it and the state can get it even if you don't want to sell. As for the dust.....I guess you'll just have to keep your windows closed and a dust rag handy!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I wish they bought my house

I really don't know if that would be good for you or not but I do feel terrible for those who have sentimental attachment to their houses
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
lynne b

getting closer

these pic's are just up the road from me, all trees gone in a matter of 2 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (94.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (80.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg didn't use to be able to see this house.jpg (69.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg use to be trees here.jpg (38.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
lynne b

more pic's

the cow pasture is staying, it is right outside my door across the road, we thought they were going to come all the way up to here, but will be nice to have the trees for shade. The highway will run right behind the house across the field from us. There are several places like this for miles and miles where bridges and on/off ramps have been built waiting for the final phase of the highway to connect them. It is suppose to be done by 2013.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mulch.jpg (44.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg path for highway.jpg (56.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cow pasture.jpg (102.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg house across field.jpg (70.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

So, the older man who owns the cow pasture doesn't have to move his cows? How sad for the people whose homes have been taken by the state! Does the state pay them fair market value at least?

It is too bad that they didn't buy your house, what with all the ex's around!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
lynne b

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
So, the older man who owns the cow pasture doesn't have to move his cows? How sad for the people whose homes have been taken by the state! Does the state pay them fair market value at least?

It is too bad that they didn't buy your house, what with all the ex's around!!!
Right Judy,out of about 40 acers just in this area he got to keep about 14 acers and he doesn't have to move his cows, but because of the direction that the highway is going many people have lost their homes. The state does offer what the house/property is appraised at and not a penny more.
I am ok so far with the ex's being here, havn't given me any reason to want to move.

I am looking forward to the highway getting done, the highway i use now to go to/from work is getting very crowded what with the construction trucks and semis going to/from the place they get/take their grain and right next to that is an ethonal plant and they havn't even started to harvest their fields yet. Then there is Purdue University, when school starts again it will be busy with collage kids coming and going and whenever there is a home football/basketball game it is so bad but those are usually on a Sunday. All this traffic on a 2 lane highway gets a little scary some nights coming home.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I certainly can understand why people would be upset losing their homes. That doesn't seem right, yet roads have to be built. I can just imagine how busy your road is, and you are right, a two lane road not enough to carry all the extra traffic. We have a major university here in Austin too and when there are football and basketball games the traffic is horrible.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
DianaB

We had Highway 400 built through here a few years ago and I knew some of the people who had to sell their home and move. They were not happy about the prices they were getting but in some cases had no choice but to accept it. The highway is wonderful though but I sure felt sorry for those who had to move. Of course, there were some people who tried to get way more than their home was worth too.

Linda, I know that you'll appreciate the highway after it's done.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Is that the I69 corridor? I know they were building it somewhere in Indiana. If it is, it will eventually extend all the way to Mexico. There is some controversy about the route here in Texas. It may go down the current US59 to Laredo, or down 59 to Victoria and divert down US77 to Brownsville, or down 59 past Victoria and divert to yet another highway (I forget the number) to the valley.

I69 was one of Rick Perry's things. He was behind the whole I69/Trans Texas Corridor. The corridor got dropped, thankfully, but the I69 part is still supposed to happen eventually.

Rick Perry made a lot of people down here very angry when he was trying to force the TTC. A lot of people would have lost a lot of land. It was two interstates running parallel one for trucks and one for cars plus two rail lines, one for freight and one for passengers. The land along the corridor would belong to the state and be leased to hotels and other commercial enterprises. The TTC would have been a toll road managed by a company from Spain. Not too many proud native Texans went for this deal and it finally died. I owned land that would have been taken by the TTC, so I attended some of the meetings. What a mess it was!!!

And the guy is running for President. I heard today on the radio that he will announce his candidacy on Saturday. He was asked by a reporter recently why he wasn't so popular in his home state, and he quoted the scripture about Christ's rejection by the people he grew up with that a prophet is not accepted in his own land. The rest of the country wasn't involved in the whole TTC thing here at home, so he may have a chance.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
lynne b

Marilyn, Looks like it could be the same thing you are talking about. I found this information about it. I'm not so sure about this guy running for president though lol

PROJECT LOCATION

The proposed SR 25 project is part of the Hoosier Heartland Highway Corridor, which extends from Toledo, Ohio to Lafayette, Indiana, a distance of approximately 200 miles. The Indiana sections of the corridor are in various stages of improvement. The section from Fort Wayne to Lafayette is about 99 miles long. Once completed, the Hoosier Heartland Highway Corridor will connect I-69 in Fort Wayne to I-65 in Lafayette.

The corridor segment containing the proposed project is located in Tippecanoe, Carroll, and Cass Counties, Indiana. The project begins east of the SR 25 and Interstate 65 (I-65) interchange in Lafayette, and heads northeast to US 24, at Logansport, a distance of about 35.3 miles. The western terminus provides a direct connection to I-65, the major north-south interstate in Indiana. The eastern terminus in Logansport would connect to the recently improved US 24 section of the Hoosier Heartland Highway Corridor. This section of SR 25 is being advanced as an independent project because it is the major commercial corridor linking Logansport, Delphi, and Lafayette. As a major farming area, farmers depend on this corridor to move farm supplies and products to their markets in Logansport and Lafayette
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Sounds like your corridor isn't I69, but connects I69 with another interstate highway. I'm all for progress as long as they don't take more land than is needed and as long as it belongs to "We the People" and not some foreign enterprise!!

We need to restrict foreign ownership of our lands and resources like some other countries do. Some would say that's not the American way, but we're out sourcing enough and need to preserve what we have here for our children and grandchildren. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
DianaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Sounds like your corridor isn't I69, but connects I69 with another interstate highway. I'm all for progress as long as they don't take more land than is needed and as long as it belongs to "We the People" and not some foreign enterprise!!

We need to restrict foreign ownership of our lands and resources like some other countries do. Some would say that's not the American way, but we're out sourcing enough and need to preserve what we have here for our children and grandchildren. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
I agree with you, Marilyn!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Rick Perry is using the bible to further his own political interests. This makes me so angry! There are many good people who believe in him when he quotes scripture, not knowing that his agenda may not be what they really want at all.

He's not the only one either. Too many politicians are doing this lately. I certainly can see someone promoting their deep faith, but not to the point that it is a large part of their political campaign.

Politicians are so phony that it is no wonder that they are the subject of such controversy lately. Comedians are having a field day with them, and I laugh also, but I remember when these were people who were respected. Not anymore!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote