4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

3 more months...

It's a little sad that I'm counting down until I'm BACK from Europe... but that's when I can start looking for a new job.

I'm sure I wrote about this here but I can't find it... in January I was given a raise which I was pretty upset with because it was a very tiny raise and I worked my butt off for this company last year, I gave up most of my summer working overtime on nights and weekends. When the manager gave me my new salary letter, she said "I think you got a little more, I think almost everyone went up a little bit" and I looked at the letter and agreed it was a little higher (but not much).

Last night I did my taxes. I was entering the form about how much money I made last year. I was surprised to see that my salary last year, EXACTLY MATCHED the salary I was offered for this year. I did not get a raise AT ALL. I mean, I did in the end because I went back and asked for more, but if I knew I was making the same I would have asked for more than that They KNOW how much work I do, they sign my time sheets every week. Apparently it was not enough to not only not get a bonus, but not even be offered a raise at all.

It just kind of sickens me. Obviously I'm not worth that much here

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm so sorry Lindsey. It sucks feeling like you're not appreciated. Try to forget it for now....look forward to your trip and enjoy it........when you get back...then you can figure out what you want to do.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Janet. It turns out the other people they hired on contract are also making quite a bit more than me, which is another kick in the stomach. I thought they were making the same, or less, but I did find out at least one of them is making 6 figures I mean, they do have some more education and some more experience, but we are doing the exact same work. I could never dream of making 6 figures at all in my career! On top of that, free rent, free utilities, free food, free brand new furniture for their free apartments and houses, free flights back home to visit family... Obviously the company has money to spend, so why not appreciate their own employees? Last year our company made more money than ever before.

I'm not thinking too hard about it now but I'm going to just keep my eyes and ears open. I know I always have one comapny to fall back on, but I know there will also soon be an opening at another place that I'd like to go for! We've been talking about possibilities with Layla too.. we can't really afford doggy daycare, and I'd probably be worried all day about other dogs playing with her and accidently hurting her again. I think we're going to ask around and see if there might be someone in our town, a stay at home mom or something, who wouldn't mind popping into our house on weekday afternoons to express her. Maybe even the vet tech could do it during her lunch break for some extra money. I'm not sure yet! But we'll figure something out. Life has to be a little better than this!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry, Lindsey, that you're not happy with your job. It's not fair that they've brought in people that they're doing so much for and not paying the others as well. I'd be unhappy too. Maybe you need to let them know when you get back from Europe that you're going to be looking for a new job and see if they will pay you any better.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I don't think it's even really the money anymore, I don't think that a huge raise in pay would make me want to stay, because I will still go through the same crap and continue feeling stress! I would love to go home at 5:00 each day and not think about work again until 8:00 the next morning! Instead, I'm usually going home to continue working until I go to bed, or being stressed about what's coming the next day... I feel I'm not being the best person I can be in all areas of my life because everything is just centered around work. Layla deserves a better mommy who can play with her for a few hours or go for walks in the evening, and Scott deserves more attention too. And when I have kids, well they need to take even more of my time, because I don't want to be an absent mom. This company just isn't going to work for the lifestyle I want to have!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Your a hard worker and it's going to be there loss.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I think Scott and I may have come up with a solution, and I'm excited about it, but we'll see what my options are when I'm back from Europe

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

A solution!! Hmmm... I sure hope so, because you deserve SO much better!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Hmmm, get married have kids and be a stay at home mom
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
Hmmm, get married have kids and be a stay at home mom
Haha that's our dream solution! Scott just needs to get some promotions and double his salary first But I don't think that's going to happen soon enough!

But really... Scott's company is desperate for people. If they are still looking for staff in a few months, I might try applying for a different department... structural instead of civil. We would be working on the same floor of the same office building, but we'd not only be on totally different projects, we'd be under totally different bosses. So it would eliminate any competition we feel against each other. I am by no means an expert structural designer, but in college I did my big final technical project and presentation on a building I designed, joint by joint, beam by beam, and it did really interest me back then. I just took a job here because I got an offer before I had even thought of sending out resumes! It was just easier. But maybe going in a different direction with my career might give me the refreshment I need.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

UGH!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ready to leave. Things are just not going well. Yesterday morning I got this huge virus on my computer at work. I was not at any weird website or anything, I have no idea where it came from, but there were popups and programs wouldn't open and it was bad. I called IT and they said I had to send my computer to them and they'd wipe it. So, I worked on it for the day, through all the annoying popups, and packed it up at the end of the day to send away. Of course, that leaves me computerless, so I told the engineer who I'm working with right now, that I'd work from home today, and she was fine with that. I should have a computer at work again on Monday.

So this morning I sent an email to the office letting everyone know to call me at home or send emails because I wouldn't be in the office. First, an email from the manager saying from now on, please let another guy know when I am taking time off, because he has taken over responsibility of the drafting department. Responsibility of the drafting department WAS mine, and apparently is not now. It also seemed she was acting like I just decided to take a day off work. I replied and said I am only working from home today because my computer at work is gone for repairs.

So, since she wanted me to tell this other guy about time off, I emailed him and told him I am not taking any days off until I go on my European holiday. I told him the dates I'd be gone. I got a reply from him, saying thanks, and that there are meetings every Monday that I do not attend,

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

UGH!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ready to leave. Things are just not going well.

Yesterday morning I got this huge virus on my computer at work. I was not at any weird website or anything, I have no idea where it came from, but there were popups and programs wouldn't open and it was bad. I called I.T. and they said I had to send my computer to them and they'd wipe it. So, I worked on it for the day, through all the annoying popups, and packed it up at the end of the day to send away. Of course, that leaves me computerless, so I told the engineer who I'm working with right now, that I'd work from home today, and she was fine with that. I should have a computer at work again on Monday.

So this morning I sent an email to the office letting everyone know to call me at home or send emails because I wouldn't be in the office. First, an email from the manager saying from now on, please let one of our contracted workers know when I am taking time off, because he has taken over responsibility of the drafting department. Responsibility of the drafting department WAS mine, and apparently is not now. It also seemed she was acting like I just decided to take a day off work. I replied and said I am only working from home today because my computer at work is gone for repairs.

So, since she wanted me to tell this other guy about time off, I emailed him and told him I am not taking any days off until I go on my European holiday. I told him the dates I'd be gone. I got a reply from him, saying thanks, and that there are meetings every Monday that I do not attend, so can I please attend the next one? I was shocked... he had mentioned meetings before but I didn't think they were happening because nobody said anything to me after that. They sit right beside me, for goodness sakes. I assumed they were just having meetings about the project they are all working on together, which I am not a part of. I went back to reread the email again and noticed he cc'd everyone in the department, and the office manager.

I don't know, I just feel a little out of the loop, and like I'm being pushed out, and instead of talking to me directly, it goes to the manager first. I had a little cry this morning. I feel like they don't want me there anymore. Maybe they're just pushing me to quit. It hurts

Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oops... sort of double post

Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Just hang in there Lindsey. Something better always comes around.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I don't blame you. I'd be more than a little upset at what's going on. Maybe you need to start asking some questions about what's been going on and what your status is.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote