4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Doing Some Thinking

I know this will sound a little strange....but if something should happen to my Mom, I'm really interested in applying for a job at the IU Health Arnett Hospital where we always take Mom...maybe even the St. Vincent Hospital here in town.

I've been thinking about it ever since we've had Mom in and out of the hospital the first few times. I've enjoyed helping the nurses and the aides caring for Mom and I think I would like to help others too.

Thing is...right now, it's not really possible with Mom living here and needing my care, but maybe...later on. I don't really want to give up my bus driving, because it affords me great insurance, but maybe later on in a part-time position...maybe even in a nursing home. Not sure....but I've been having these thoughts alot and just thought maybe I should start listening, maybe I'm being called to do something like this.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Follow your heart Janet! You would be wonderful in such a setting!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Janet

Thanks Judy! I just know how embarassed Mom was about certain things being done and I would like to make people more comfortable in those situations. Of course I can't right now, but who's to say in the future...we're never too old.....are we?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

When the time is right, you might try to do some volunteering, just to get your foot in the door and see what you might like to do!

We certainly need more people like you who are empathetic to the needs of others. It is so important and some people just don't have a clue!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that you'd be really good at that, Janet. It's sure something to think about and being a volunteer for awhile would let you know for sure if you wanted to do it.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Janet

Volunteering is a great idea! That way I'd have more of an idea if it's something I could do.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

So many people up here volunteer at either the big nursing home, or the Margaretville Hospital. There's another nursing home in town where people volunteer. It is a wonderful thing, and you are so right about knowing how to meet the needs of people who are in such a vulnerable situation.

There is also a group of people who train therapy dogs, and many people take their dogs to visit these places. That sounds so nice, and the dogs love it too.
Max would be good. Annie - not so much!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Janet it takes a special person with a big heart to do that and you fill the job.. Go for it volunteer!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It sure does take a special person to care for others, especially others who are older.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Tiramisu

Consider home health care, too.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Janet

Great idea Sandy. As you all know...right now I have to put that on hold because of Mom. But I still think about it everyday.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Janet

I think that after all I've been through with taking care of Mom and realizing that I can't do it anymore because she needs 24/7 care, that this probably isn't the field for me. I had thought I had finally found my calling, but it must have been a wrong number...

Not sure what I should do now. I do enjoy driving the bus, but it doesn't pay much. It's just really hard to find something at my age with good insurance. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open though, ya never know when an opportunity may come along and of course there is no hurry.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It will come to you, Janet. I think you will excel at whatever you do!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, do you live close enough to Purdue to apply for a job there? Usually the working atmosphere is pretty good and the benefits are also usually very very good at a University. I don't know whether or not you have a college degree, but if you don't, there are usually many jobs at Universities that don't require one. We have several older women that work in the School of Nursing, some work part time and some full time. We have a receptionist in the Student Affairs office that all the students see first when they come in. She is such a wonderful lady, she is older and is so sweet and kind. I like it that our students see her first when they come in to our suite of offices.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Janet

Thanks for the idea. I'm about 45- 60 minutes from my house to the campus. Bit of a drive, but I'm in no hurry...have plenty of things to keep me busy.