4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Tiramisu

Another "What to do?"

One of my guys (Jamie) finished up the project he was on in my group and transferred out to start up another project. He asked me to transfer to his project last week.

I talked to my first supervisor (Rudy) and he's not wanting to let me go. He told me this morning that he put in a promotion request to get me more money. I told him that I really do want to transfer ..

got work - will continue shortly
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Tiramisu

Sorry!

Rudy told me that one of the other girls (Cheryl) is transferring to another group and they're thinking about having me cover her group. Gee, I'd have 3 more guys!

Do, I go to Rudy's boss, our VP, or just keep sitting here?! This is the 6th time I've asked to transfer (in 5 years) and they never let me go. I WANT TO TRANSFER.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow Sandy, if you're sure you want to transfer, then I'd do whatever it took to transfer. Do you know why they turned down your request so many times before?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Tiramisu

Plain and simple: I do a good job. I don't rock anybody's boat. I keep to myself. I'm a team player. I give them my best. I take care of my people. I'm dependable. I'm pleasant and even fun!

The decision has always come back: "You're too valuable to let go." It's a matter of them being selfish to keep be over letting me do what I want.

That's tooting my own horn, but it's the only way I can say it.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Maybe you need to talk it over a little more seriously with them and let them know that this is really what you'd like to do. It's a compliment that they want to keep you.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Also, if you really wouldn't mind staying....then tell them they'll need to show how much they want you to stay....lol.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Tiramisu

I have a "don't care" attitude today. I'll just sit here and play on the net, as long as they keep paying me.

I GET 17 DAYS VACATION + 5 sick days + 8 holidays this year.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Sandy, you need to do what's best for you, and if transferring will make your work more pleasant, you need to have a serious talk with Rudy and let him know that you appreciate his confidence in you and his recognition of your value, but you need a change and want very badly to transfer. And as Janet suggested, if he persists in saying your too valuable to let go then ask him to show you how valuable you are. "Show me the money", dude!!

You never know until you ask. That's how I got more money, and it's worked out nicely for us.

So hope all goes well and works out for you!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
I GET 17 DAYS VACATION + 5 sick days + 8 holidays this year.

By the way, your vacation benefits are awesome!!!! Of this I'm envious!!! We did have equal or better than you until the cut us back.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

What kind of work do you do Sandy? If you don't mind sharing, that is. I agree with Diana. Have a really serious, assertive talk with Rudy. He doesn't own you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Tiramisu

Judy, I've been a "secretary" for over 38 years. That's all I've ever done. Right now my title is "Staff Office Assistant". I'm Admin to the Project Manager who reports directly to a Vice President. I also cover for the VP's Admin, when she's out.

Marilyn, I'm actually at the top of my pay class. In taking over the other group, I've been told that I'll get moved to a higher class, so that'll mean more money. I do plan to ask for a company paid blackberry.

I've pretty much decided to just go with the flow and hopefully get to retire in a couple years!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
2tiredmom

Gosh. I wish I knew what to tell you. I hope it all works out and they start listening. Your in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sounds like a plan. I think enjoying work is essential. When you figure that you spend 8 hours at work, plus traveling time, it has to be something you love doing, whatever your reason is.

I was a secretary years ago, and enjoyed it. It can be very satisfying and sometimes a lot of fun. I liked the camaraderie (sp?) in an office.

It sounds like you are very appreciated there, and that you do an exceptional job.
I would think about staying too, especially if you're a "don't rock the boat" kind off person.

I hope you get that Blackberry.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
guekSeaB73

Another "What to do "

I think you should wait until you get your clearance, then ask your boss if you can be moved to another unit. Just tell your boss the truth that you mentioned above.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guekSeaB73 View Post
I think you should wait until you get your clearance, then ask your boss if you can be moved to another unit. Just tell your boss the truth that you mentioned above.
Get off of our site and go play with your
[url]http://russian-brides-best.com/Don't you have anything better to do than answer posts that are over a year old on a womens' forum? What a loser!!!