4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #61
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
My first marriage was a disaster, we didn't have sex the last 2 years of it - he said it was a "Chore" - just like washing the dishes or changing a tire. Turns out he had at least one affair.

My current husband is the best thing that's ever happened to me - I tell people I don't regret my first marriage because it has allowed me to really appreciate how wonderful Jim is. He sings "You are my sunshine" to me every night right before we go to bed, then holds my hand as we fall asleep because he says he can't fall asleep unless he's touching the love of his life.
As far as chores go - we set aside time everynight for general chores and we play music and dance around the house while we clean. Everything gets done a lot quicker when you do it together. After cleaning time, we jump in the shower and he washes my hair for me - it's our quiet time together when nothing from the outside world can intrude.
OMG! Soo freaking sweet!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #62
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I think that Marilyn has given you some really good advice.

My husband doesn't do hardly anything around the house either, but I refuse to dwell on it. He's a good, hard-working man in every other area. I appreciate his hard work and I don't want or like to be naggy at him when he's home. Our home is a place of refuge that I want him to come to, not be driven away from by my negative words.

I mow the yard everytime it needs mowed. I have a basement that leaks and I've waited and waited for it to be repaired so I finally found something and, hopefully, I have it stopped for awhile. He does help empty the dishwasher some and will do some cleaning to help out, but not very often. My husband has the whole winter to get things done that he can't get done in the summer because he's busy, but nothing gets done. We've lived in our new home now for 9 years and basically I have nothing in the back yard. It's sloped and the dirt is washing away. I have rotten wooden steps from my back door and no patio, nothing. I could go on and on about what doesn't get done because there are many, many things. I try to do the best that I can to keep things up. I get fustrated, very fustrated, but I still appreciate him. I try to look at the positives and there's a lot more positives than negatives. I have a wonderful marriage because I refuse to dwell on the problems.
Diana, I think those two quotes really sum up what it takes to have a good marriage. I try so hard to be supportive to my husband, and when I put forth that little extra effort, I can see almost immediately that it comes back to me ten times as strong. When he feels loved and uplifted, it's much easier for him to think to do nice things like empty the dishwasher or start a load of laundry or write me a sweet note or plan a surprise. He always finds the sweetest way to thank me when I encourage him and the smile on his face, the light in his eyes when I make him feel loved is priceless!

Haley, my suggestion to you (on top of the many wonderful suggestions you've already received) is to find a new way to show him that you love him. Let him see your effort and let him know that you are doing it because you want HIM to feel loved and special. When he sees your effort and love for him, it might just make him want to try harder to make your marriage work. I think there's an old song that says "love isn't love until you give it away." How true is that!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #63
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley,

I'm going to keep my feelings out of this thread. Having been divorced twice, I don't want to participate in the flow of the thread.

I do want to say though that I am praying for the best possible outcome for all of you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #64
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Haley,

I'm going to keep my feelings out of this thread. Having been divorced twice, I don't want to participate in the flow of the thread.

I do want to say though that I am praying for the best possible outcome for all of you.

I wish I would have thought of that!!! Next time in this kind of thread, I'm gonna run it past you first...LOL
Old 07-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #65
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I wish I would have thought of that!!! Next time in this kind of thread, I'm gonna run it past you first...LOL

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #66
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Haley, Sweetie, I'm going to hit you a bit hard here, so brace yourself. First, this needs to also be prefaced with the fact that you need to be discussing this with a councelor. Okay, here goes, did he want the old house to fix up, or did you? Did he agree to it because you wanted it so bad, not realizing what he was signing up for? And why do you have to completely give up your motorcycling lifestyle just because you have a child? You're available time to go out is greatly reduced by having a child, but you could schedule some time for Micah to stay with a sitter once in a while so you could go out on the scooter together. Just think how much better you would feel about life after spending some time on the back of your ride with the wind in your face and your arms around Mike. Micah is an amazing child, and you are being a very responsible mom. Building the relationship with his dad is part of your responsibility. If he were abusing you, or sleeping around, what I'm expressing here would not apply, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Look at this from his perspective. He married a fun gal that he enjoyed doing crazy biker things with and he got an old house with lots of time consuming work and a yard, a child, and a wife who is placing a lot demands on him. You've only been married two years. You have taken on responsibilities that stress much more mature relationships.

Just think about it. He has a lot of maturing to do. That's obvious!! but, try to look at it from his perspective, too.

I sincerely hope that you do get to spend some quality time together this weekend. Please let us know how it goes. And, please understand that my words come from a caring heart. If I didn't care, I'd have skipped this thread. You and Mike are in my sincerest prayers.
The house i bought on my own Marlyin when Mike and i were broke up, it was an estate sale and it was in my budget at the time, as for fixing it up, i spend almost my entire savings doing it myself with the help of some very good friends. When Mike and i got back together that's when he started helping me fix the house up, and there not to much more that needs to be done, if Mike would do it! I can't get him to do anything! When i save some money for the kitchen and bathroom i will hire people to finish the house if that's the way he wants to be. I learned my lesson on the house stuff.
As for riding the motorcyle, the reason it has been sitting in the garage all summer is Mike is on his Second DUI and he has an interlock in my car and i had to surender the motorcycle plates! cause he refuses to Grow up and act like an adult when he rides the bike he hooks up with his friends and can't control his drinking and driving, he gets his lis. back August 8th and i am so affraid he'll do it again, and i'm so sick of bitching at him, he knows the next time he gets caught he'll spend a year in jail, and that's were he will stay unless his mother gets him out. I refuse to put anymore of my hard earned money into a nother DUI, i already spent borrowed money off my family invested 4,000 in getting him out of trouble sick to death of it.... Yes i love to ride but i can't afford to ride with him...
I really didn't want to get into all this, but i didn't want to look or sound like such a nag all the time, but this is the reason i bitch so much, i scared he'll go back to jail again... he's an alcoholic and he knows it...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #67
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALEY View Post
The house i bought on my own Marlyin when Mike and i were broke up, it was an estate sale and it was in my budget at the time, as for fixing it up, i spend almost my entire savings doing it myself with the help of some very good friends. When Mike and i got back together that's when he started helping me fix the house up, and there not to much more that needs to be done, if Mike would do it! I can't get him to do anything! When i save some money for the kitchen and bathroom i will hire people to finish the house if that's the way he wants to be. I learned my lesson on the house stuff.
As for riding the motorcyle, the reason it has been sitting in the garage all summer is Mike is on his Second DUI and he has an interlock in my car and i had to surender the motorcycle plates! cause he refuses to Grow up and act like an adult when he rides the bike he hooks up with his friends and can't control his drinking and driving, he gets his lis. back August 8th and i am so affraid he'll do it again, and i'm so sick of bitching at him, he knows the next time he gets caught he'll spend a year in jail, and that's were he will stay unless his mother gets him out. I refuse to put anymore of my hard earned money into a nother DUI, i already spent borrowed money off my family invested 4,000 in getting him out of trouble sick to death of it.... Yes i love to ride but i can't afford to ride with him...
I really didn't want to get into all this, but i didn't want to look or sound like such a nag all the time, but this is the reason i bitch so much, i scared he'll go back to jail again... he's an alcoholic and he knows it...
Wow, Haley. Sounds like you are a very ambitious and driven young lady to take on a house like this on your own. Also sounds like he came into this with his eyes wide open. I would have never guessed that he had a suspended license and DUI's. You said previously that he is getting a company truck this summer. I drive a company truck, but if I have more than two moving violations in 7 years, I am repremanded and in danger of losing the truck. My company does full background checks and a DUI will prevent you from driving a vehicle for a minimum of 7 years, so there would be no way anyone with a suspended license and two DUI's would ever get a company truck until at least 2015, and that would be after they had stayed clean that long.

Haley, if I spoke inappropriately, please accept my most sincere apologies. With the information available, I drew some inappropriate conclusions.

Not sure what I'd do in your position. You are in a really tough spot. My very best wishes and prayers are with you.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #68
HALEY

Don't worry about it marylin, i knew what i was getting into, the promises that he would stop drinking, etc. he did stop drinking for 6 months after the baby was born and he is working so much now that he don't have the time to drink and can't drink and drive with and interlock in my car.
As for the company truck his boss is no angell when it comes to Dui's he has 3 of them,,, so Mike will get the truck when he gets his lisc. back he needs to bring it to the office so they can make a copy of it.. his boss knows Mikes driving record.
I also have a company truck and i would be fired if i had a dui under my belt i guess guys are different i also see that in my company! they just get a slap on the hand...
My mother also had a bad marriage and told us girls to never depend on a man! if we want something to go get it ourselves, i use to work everyday, weekends bartending for the downpayment on my house and i was so proud of myself the day i closed on my house, that was the second best day of my life, my first of coarse was the birth of my son!
I am hard on Mike but for many good reason, there is a good hard working man and father in him. He just needs to grow up before he looses everything including his son... I just didn't want you guys to think i was a nag or a bitch there are reasons for my madness...
Mike was a spoiled child, he had everything handed to him or when he got into trouble his aunt was always there to bail him out. Well those days are over! If he gets into trouble now, he knows he'll loose everything. I'm just sick of being a babysitter when we go out, he's not a social drinking, he likes to drink until he's drunk and you can't get on a motorcycle in that condition, somedays i just don't know how the hell he made it home sometimes alive...

Last edited by HALEY; 07-11-2008 at 02:47 AM.
HALEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #69
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley,

When my SIL was drinking, I went to Alanon. I ended up going for 2 years, and I learned so much, and met the most wonderful people.

Some of them left the person who was drinking, and some didn't. The point of Alanon is not whether you stay or leave the alcoholic. It's really how you live your own life, and how to make good choices.

I really recommend it.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #70
jrsygal37
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley. Just so you know the alcohol can be a factor in why he is not interested in having sex. When I answered your post I stated another women but I did not have all the facts then. If he has an alcohol problem I would bet this is why he is acting as he is. If you truly love him and you believe he's a good man with a problem then I would force his hand to get help. If he refuses help then leave him. Sometimes and alcholic has to hit rock bottom and lose it all before he realizes he has a problem. I wish you both the best. Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #71
goofywife
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hmm to post or not to post in this thread.

Hold on to your coffee cup. I have been married 3 times. So, maybe I am not the best person to offer advice.

The first one hit me. The third time he did it, I put him in the hospital and got a divorce.

The second one, cheated on me (with his first wife) and caught VD. I prayed and cried. It was not something I could live with. I was afraid that I would catch Aids from him.

The third one is a charm. He is a very dear man. Yep he can be a butt head sometimes, but we think alike. We have now been married for 14 years. We have a deal, he takes care of the outside and all of the home repairs, I clean the house and cook. Sometimes if I am working overtime, he jumps in and helps me. If he is working on a big repair, I jump in and help him. Its a partnership and I consider him to be my best friend. I love him unconditionally. We both feel complete when we are together.

The hardest part of our marriage was my daughter. She did not adjust to the divorces nor new marriage very well, and really rebelled as a teenager. She was fine until 14. Then all hell broke loose.

Its amazing we all managed to come through it and have a great relationship with each other. I truely feel it was God's doing. We gave her to him, and said we have done what we can. She came around (of course it took a few years). She has told us, I don't know why I did the things I did. She also counsels other girls to listen to their parents. (I know amazing)

Either way, stay together in a horrible marriage or divorce. Its hard on the kids. But you have to know that someday, Micah will leave and go out on his own. Where will you be? Where will you have spent your time? will you be happy with the decisions you made? Who will be there for you?

Anyhow this is about you and what you are going to do.

You have been given all kinds of advice. Bottom line. You have to decide what is best for you! What behavior in a husband is acceptable to you. Who you think you can grow old with. You don't want to wait until you are old to decide you made a mistake and wasted your life.

Thanks thats all the advice I will give.

Michelle

OK Yorkie Rescue-Another Chance at Love
goofywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #72
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That was good advice Michelle, really sweet.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #73
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Great advice Michelle, and I'm so happy for you that your daughter turned it around.

I'm looking for a new love after my 2nd divorce - so third time is a charm?

Good for you.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #74
HALEY

Its a very hard dicision that i have to make, no matter what i decide it's going to effect Micah either way, that's the hardest part, if it was just me, i would have already been out of this marriage, i'm sick of spending my hard earned money on making the house look nice while he sits on his ass, he is a hard worker but that's about it, when he comes home he wants to sit out in the garage all night, that's not going to fly with me! Just yesterday i snapped on him, i took the baby over my mothers for 2 hours and all i asked him to do is run the sweaper and fold a load of clothes to help me out! And he did nothing but run over the neighbors house and drink beer! I had it... i'm not his mother or his maid... Im just sick of carrying him if you know what i mean.... He still says he's getting an apartment when he gets his drivers lisc. back, i told him don't let the door hit you in the ass!
Right now i really don't care if he leaves.. I have my son to worry about and he will be taken care of! I already talked to my mom this weekend, and she told me to do what i feel is right. and she will help me out if i need her too.. But i rather get another job than to depend on my mother i'm stronger than that! Whatever i decide i'll do it on my own, that's something i like about me, i'm not affraid to be alone.. What the hell i feel alone in this marriage now! I always survived before with God's help and i know i can do it again.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #75
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley,

You do not have to decide right now if you're not ready. One day at a time, until you're absolutely sure about what you feel is the right thing to do.

Only you can make that decision, so listen to your own heart. There really is no right or wrong decision. Mike is not abusing you or Micah. If that were so, I would say to run.

Not to change your feelings or persuade you, but my SIL went from being a rather nasty alcoholic to a sober, wonderful husband and father. That doesn't mean that Mike will do the same. It also doesn't mean that my SIL will always be able to stay sober. All it really means is that my daughter's heart told her to stay. I don't know
what went into that decision. It was hers to make, and I respect her for it.

Whatever you do, we're all here to support you.